Losing inches, not weight... How do i change this?

Options

Replies

• LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Your scale is CLEARLY broken! LOL.

Seriously, how is this a problem?
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to change if I were you!
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 5"7 also with a medium build. I have lost only 3 pounds; but a lot of inches--my clothes are loose all over. I am not concerned because I always lost inches first! Be encouraged-for some it's normal.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It's interesting. It comes from 1960s thinking that the scale is a good measure of whether we're fat or not. But as everyone else suggests, it isn't an issue. All I care about is widths of things - I don't have a set of scales, I couldn't care less if I was 1 stone heavier or not as long as the 1 stone was not made of fat. ;) (If I managed to put on 1 stone of muscle I would be in awe of myself.)

PS That's a huge phone. :-D
  • dizam
    dizam Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is what you really want! Muscle is denser than fat. You'll look leaner, and you are building muscle.

Keep up the good work!
  • carsonx4
    carsonx4 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have heard the term "watch your waiste not your weight" before...
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    losing inches is much better then losing weight, as the scale only shows a number, the inches lost can be seen by you and everyone else.

^^THIS!! :drinker:
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dude, I am in the same boat!!! I feel as if I have plateaued because the scale has stopped moving! But I am also losing inches. Everyone tells me that this is a good thing, but I really enjoy watching the scale move down and it sort of depresses me when it doesn't move. My weight fluctuates withing 3 lbs...
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You don't! That's the best way.. it means you are replacing your fat with muscle. What's more important, that you look leaner or that the scale reads the number you want?

The scale will drop as you add more muscle. Relax chic you are doin your body good!!! :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you want to stay the same size but lose pounds? It doesn't matter what the scale says if you can fit in smaller clothes!!!!
    By losing weight and not inches, you may be burning muscle which means you can eat less calories and regain weight easier which is not what you want. Losing inches not lbs means you are increasing muscle and therefore burning more even when resting.

You might find with working out that you weigh more for the same size - I don't know what your size is but say you used to be a size 6 @ 150 lbs. with the added exercise you might weigh 160-165 lbs and still get in the size 6 as you have more muscle which takes up less space than fat (and you will look a lot better in it than you did last time)!

Stick with what you are doing it seems to be working just fine x
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I gained in the last 3 months and people are asking me if I hired a personal trainer because Im "getting so skinny"

Keep it up! Dont stop doing what you are doing!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If your'e losing inches, you're losing fat.

If you're not losing weight, but losing inches, you're just retaining a bit of fluid from all the strenuous exercise. It's temporary and will fall off on it's own.
    Best. Answer. Ever. And I need to remind myself of it often. Thanks!
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have heard the term "watch your waiste not your weight" before...

I like this! So true. Whenever I do major workouts (30 day shreds, 6 week plans, boot camps) I say give up the scale the entire time and then check your inches every to every other week. I really focus on endurance and what I can do. If the only reason I'm doing the workout is just to see a scale move, then my focus is hampered. I want to give it my all and build that muscle. So I focus on how my clothes fit and pushing to the next level (being able to do more lunges, dips, pull ups, etc.)

You're doing great!!! Keep up the great work and don't forget to be proud of how far you've come.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    People tell me I look smaller too even though my weight actually stays the same. In fact, my measurements stay the same too. Weird...
  • qotu79
    qotu79 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is a good thing. THIS is the best time to build muscle as it will burn calories for even at rest. The weight will come off as those new muscles build and more calories and fat for you. I went thru the same thing then after 2.5 weeks I weighed myself and I was down 4lbs. Muscle works for you!!!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The scale is a lying little *****. You are doing the right thing by measuring. Forget that other number, it will take care of itself if you are doing all the right things.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think you should do more weight training, girl! As you lose more fat (not weight) you will be so ripped. nbd.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled if I were losing inches. I will give you my weight loss if I can have your inches lost!!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled if I were losing inches. I will give you my weight loss if I can have your inches lost!!!

I second that.