Are you one of these people?

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was burning like that before when I was bigger but not anymore since I'm small now. The bigger you are, the more calories you burn.

^^^This. I still weigh 255lbs at 5'4". I workout for not less than 60min (usually closer to 90min). My HR usually reaches 150+bpm within the first ten minutes, and it usually stays between 150-170bpm for the duration of the workout. I look like a drowned zombie by the time I'm done.

Edit to add: I'm 255lbs. My goal/healthy weight is 135-140lbs. So I'm approximately 120lbs overweight. Try strapping 120 extra pounds on your body and try doing your usual 30min workout that way. See how many calories you burn then. :wink: Ask Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser, he tried it once and couldn't even finish the workout.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I always burn more than 1000 on my long runs. Running for over an hour will do that, though. :happy:
  • butterfly10398
    Options
    I'm not burning that much now, but I have before.... ZUMBA! :-) one hour of ZUMBA is like 700 calories, approximately, and then I also walk an hour during the day, 3.5 miles an hour for an hour so I would burn about 1000 calories... but I def agree, it depends on your weight.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do an intensive circuit training with a private trainer for an hour to 2 hours twice a week. No breaks.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    1.5-2 hour workouts. Intense training, get a HRM.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the only time I get a burn that high is if I'm dedicating a LOT of time to my workout, or if I'm going HARD the whole time. I can't burn that much at my weight.. But the activities I do that get me a higher burn is running for longer period of time, distance cycling, circuit training in the gym along with lifting (usually 60-90 minutes).

I can handle longer workouts most days because I'm usually doing an activity I enjoy. If I don't enjoy it, I find something else that motivates me to keep pushing. I don't like to look at exercise as a chore.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    on a wednesday I can burn just over 1000 cals but thats from 3 different classes throughout the day
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    well the easy answer is that I weigh a lot and so I burn more calories
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can burn over 750 calories in an hour on the incline trainer (speed - 3.7, incline at least 10). That thing kicks my butt - big time (and I think I'm in pretty decent shape!).

On this site, I see a lot of people accuse others of lying about their calorie burn when it gets above 500 or so. While some people may be over inflating their true calorie burn, I think it is very possible to burn a lot of calories if you're going all out for an hour or more.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't ever burn that much. I usually burn around 300 doing a half hour of running or other miscellaneous workouts. I get bored too!!!
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Sometimes on the weekend I'll do 30 mins circuit training first thing, then perhaps go for a 4 (ish) mile walk with friends and maybe some boogying in the evening. It all adds up. Like everyone else has said, the more weight I lose the less calories I burn each time. Although I've never burned 1,000 cals in one session!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Dance a lot here. I burned a whack-load today, but that's teaching 3 hours of class. If it ain't fun for me, I won't do it either. I'm that kind of lazy.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've started tracking calories burned during phase 1 of Insanity. (I just finished week 2). And I'm only burning 280-310 calories per 40 minute session. I'm 5'9", 140.... HR avg is 140. My resting HR is around 54. I'm totally bummed..... either my heart rate monitor is messed up or I just don't burn those numbers of calories. :( I was hoping for at least 400 per workout.

I'm on week 2, month one. 5'8, 185ish. I have to work really hard to get over 400. And today is Cardio Recovery, so I'll burn maybe 180.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    i don't think its accurate. for one your energy expenditure naturally decreases as you get further into your workout, even if you keep going. plus some people take 5 minutes in between runs/cycling.

no one stays at exactly the same speed for that long.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've started tracking calories burned during phase 1 of Insanity. (I just finished week 2). And I'm only burning 280-310 calories per 40 minute session. I'm 5'9", 140.... HR avg is 140. My resting HR is around 54. I'm totally bummed..... either my heart rate monitor is messed up or I just don't burn those numbers of calories. :( I was hoping for at least 400 per workout.

I'm on week 2, month one. 5'8, 185ish. I have to work really hard to get over 400. And today is Cardio Recovery, so I'll burn maybe 180.

This is good to hear. So maybe my numbers are not really off..... Thanks!
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love bike riding and 21 miles at 17mph avg. on the road or 2 hours of mountain biking will burn a ton of calories.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are the more you burn, but I can burn about 700 calories riding my bike for an hour and a half. Right now, I weigh about 135. When I weighed 150, I could burn more than that, but I can't remember how much, in the same amount of time. If you are getting bored, maybe you need to find a different exercise. I never get bored riding a bike, there's so many places to go!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1000 calories MINIMUM when I exercise..im a little OCD as id rather do no exercise than sub-1000 ! But I do need to rest, which I haven't in 6 days and feeling it now.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

This is good to hear. So maybe my numbers are not really off..... Thanks!

This will change in month 2 of insanity. Month 1, I was burning 300-500 calories in the 40 minute workouts (except, of course, cardio recovery), but in month 2 with the 50-55 minute workouts I would burn 700-900 calories, and that is with not being able to do everything they do!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    sometimes.. kettlebells and running will do it easy