Protein shakes - attn parents

Options
13»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Wow, relax.

Too many protein shakes as a child (kidding)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It will give him angry, aggressive, violent mood swings.

Be careful!

Before anybody flames me, I need to point out that that was sarcasm.

:laugh: I caught that sarcasm, it made me giggle.
  • kasicrawford
    Options
    I am defeiently going to get him some Pedisure and tell him these are his and these are mommies! Today was the first time he ever had more than a sip. We have also made him his own smoothies before, when my husband makes his protein shakes in the blender. Just curious what everyone thought! He is a great eater, never any problems with nutrioution! I have to tell him to stop eating his broccoli or green beans and eat some meat!! Lol! Have you ever heard of such a thing with a 3 yr old! He eats healthier than I do! Don't like veggies all that much! :-(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My guess would be no - they have such high levels of protein. IE taking 2 shakes a day with healthy dinners I am over my recommended protein intake through MFP.
    I can only imagine for a child the recommended protein allowance would be a lot less.
    Maybe half a portion once a week or something as a treat.

FYI: MFP protein limits are extremely low

The MFP recommendations are the recommendations of the Institute of Medicine and are not low for the average person, though they might be for those that "lift heavy" and are trying to build muscle. Going over the recommendations is not safe for everyone.

I disagree unless you are talking way over (400+ grams/day). A sedentary adult can safely ingest between 10 and 30% protein (MFP limit is 15%) for those that workout (does not have to be heavy lifting) should be in the 20-30% range. Bodybuilders go even higher.

So in a range of 10-30%, 15% is on the low end of the scale.

MOST adults can safely go over the level, but not all. Everyone is not the same. Blanket statements are dangerous.

True, not all but the majority can. It is usually those with kidney issues that should stick to the lower end of the range.
  • brielihar
    Options
    Your kiddo sounds like mine. Loves the veggies. I keep the kids pediasure around. I'll even whirl it around with ice in the magic bullet a bit. It takes very little to indulge a 3 year old and brighten their day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am defeiently going to get him some Pedisure and tell him these are his and these are mommies! Today was the first time he ever had more than a sip. We have also made him his own smoothies before, when my husband makes his protein shakes in the blender. Just curious what everyone thought! He is a great eater, never any problems with nutrioution! I have to tell him to stop eating his broccoli or green beans and eat some meat!! Lol! Have you ever heard of such a thing with a 3 yr old! He eats healthier than I do! Don't like veggies all that much! :-(

My mom used to make me killer smoothies growing up that I absolutely loved. Orange juice concentrate and water or milk depending on what she had, a banana, and a ton of frozen fruits (usually strawberries, blueberries, and peaches at least), then some plain yogurt and ice. Blend it up and serve, the trick is though she used to take a spoonful of yogurt and streak it along the inside of the glass before pouring in the smoothie. At 5, having a drink like that made me feel fancy as ****. =)
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My kids always want to drink them too...I usually give them enought to take two drinks...I don't think it will hurt them...my two are 2 and 5 and its not like they have the best appetites : )