Help me!! I miss potato chips!!

Options

Replies

• kskostamikel
    Options
    I have one of these and I LOVE it! You still get quite a few calories from using potatotes though.

Have you tried kale chips? If you google it you will find multiple recipes. They aren't quite the same but they are good and crunchy!
  • Nektariosmom
    Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pampered Chef sales a microwave potato chip maker. You use potatos, a little seasoning pop in micro 3-5 min and BAM!!!.. potato chips

I have this and it's AWESOME!!! Second this recommendation. No oil on the chips at all. Just potato and salt (or other seasoning) and it crisps up just like the bagged chips.

Oh my gosh, gotta get one of these!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Lay's Light Potato Chips are the bomb. 20 BIG chips for 75 calories. Try salsa instead of the french onion. I have learned that I really love salsa and can have a bunch of it and it counts as veggies =)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Kellogg's Special K Cracker Chips in the cracker aisle. The plain sea salt flavor is yummy. Way better than Pringles, almost as good at Lay's (without the fat of course).
  • dmitch365
    dmitch365 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love chips too and will easily inhale them lol...However you should try Snap Crisps ( baked salted snap peas)...You can eat 22 pieces for 130 calories...I buy them from Trader Joe's or POP chips ..they have good flavors and the small bags are 100 calories and 3 grams of fat.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Humbles hummus chips or veggie chips and dipping them in spicy hummus. It's not chips and onion dip, but it's pretty good.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Do you like tortilla chips at all?

Guiltless Gourmet makes some awesome chips (Spicy Black Bean, Spinach Artichoke Parmesan, Chili Lime and other flavors) and they are not nearly as bad fory ou as regular chips. I find mine at Whole Foods but I'm sure Trader Joe's and other places might have them.

http://www.guiltlessgourmet.com/index.php
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    Have you ever tried making kale chips? They are crunchy delicious and loaded with vitamins. Make sure you use a lot less oil then they really call for and rub the washed, dried kale well with your fingers to coat a fine layer of oil on each leave. I do this in a large bowl before I break apart the leaves into smaller pieces because this step can get messy. These are the best crispy thing to replace your need for potato chips. Add seasoning if you like, steak seasoning anything that you think will taste good.

Ingredients

1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

I hope this scratches the itch.
    All the best.

..i'm so doing this later!

thx for the post!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try the pop chips and then make the dip with fat free plain greek yogurt with a bag of onion soup mix. Let it sit in the fridge overnight so the freezedried onions soften up....
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thought I posted, but it's not showing up. Weird.

I LOVE kale chips, but they are NOT potato chips. LOL. when I want chips, I want chips. I totally agree with those recommending pop chips. I have a half portion with (about 12 chips) when I have a lunch sandwich that just begs for potato chips. :-) That said, I bought a bunch of kale last night so I can make kale chips for dinner tonight. I'm having my mom over and she's been dying to try them.
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sour cream and onion special K cracker chips really help me out in this area. I love sour cream and onion chips!Its just a matter of finding something you like to substitute with!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Forget the diet, eat the whole bag of chips and the whole jar of dip. Actually, make that two bags of chips. And while you're at it, another jar of dip wouldn't hurt either, you know, for when that first jar runs out. Oh, and melt some cheddar cheese on top! And sprinkle some paprika over the whole thing. Though I wouldn't use potato chips. I think sunchips would go better in the aforementioned delicious mess I've imagined.

this would be me straight after reaching for the very first "just one"chip
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I love Pop Chips.
  • ksburke62
    ksburke62 Posts: 3
    Options
    Special K Cracker Chips or Veggie Straws, they are both really good :smile:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I make my own veggie chips out of root vegetables. I tried kale, it just didn't have the same crunch or thickness.

Try thinly slicing beets/sweet potato/parsnip/taro etc. I then dehydrate mine after tossing in a little oil and herbs, but you could bake them (might just take forever to get "crispy"). They are so delicious, and waaaay more flavorful than a potato chip.

I got the idea from Trader Joe's veggie chips, but they fry theirs in canola oil, and I'm paleo all the way, so while fat = good, canola oil = bad. So I opted to make my own. I like it too because I can add my own flavors. :love:
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Pampered Chef sales a microwave potato chip maker. You use potatos, a little seasoning pop in micro 3-5 min and BAM!!!.. potato chips

You can do this on parchment paper too:)
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts here, but here's my two cents (and that's probably all it's worth) Anyway, I second the Special K chips, they're awesome. And hold the presses, Pampered Chef has a microwave potato chip maker??!!! This I gotta get! LOVE Pampered Chef products - never let me down yet. And for anyone trying for low carb - BBQ Pork Rinds are really good!!! I was surprised. Again, sodium is high, but drink lots of water and you'll be fine. Kale chips sound interesting as well, but I have never had them. Now .... where is that number for that Pampered Chef consultant ......?
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bakes lays, Pop Chips,special K cracker chips all yummmy
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The microwave chips don't have to have a special maker. I just put some parchment paper on my turntable with the sliced potato and seasoning let them nuke about 5 minutes (just watch for them to start turning brown) and OMG I like them better than the bags. They are hot and crispy!!!!
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    In case no one has mentioned it yet...I give my daughter veggie straws/potato straws (by Sensible Portions). They're really good, and I usually only eat half the portion (about 36 straws for 140 cal) because they're very filling!