How many ounces of water do you drink a day?

Options
I'm new to MFP (so far, so good :) but I'm curious as to how much water many of you are drinking. I have a 32 ounce water bottle and try to finish it 2-3 times a day. Some days it's far easier than others, LOL.

I know the site recommends 64 ounces, but I've seen such incredible success stories here I'm wondering if most of you aim for that total or drink more/less.

Thanks!!

Replies

• mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of water per day.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    64-96oz most days. Almost never under 64. That is just plain water, not including anything else I might drink, though most days I only drink plain water.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    when i started my weight loss journey back in january i was faithful to 8 glasses a day. joined mfp about a month ago. haven't lost any weight, or significant weight in a few weeks. in looking over my food diary yesterday i noticed that 6 was becoming more my average. yesterday i challenged myself to drink a gallon. i did. peed a ton, but was off from work, so it was easier. i found a big mug i like to drink out of and found out i got to fill it and drink it 5 times a day to drink a gallon. for some reason that is less intimidating then staring at the water jug and saying i have to empty it.

bottom line, i guess, is drink as much as you can. after a while you will be able to listen to your body telling you it needs more. then drink more. i increased mine yesterday after i realized i wasn't drinking as much as i was, wasn't losing any more weight, and increased my exercise over the last few days.

plus, if my goal was 8 and i wasn't meeting my goal, i was more near 6. i am thinking now of my goal being a gallon, and if i don't reach that b/c i just can't drink that last mug, it'll still put me around 8 glasses.

good luck!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple liters a day.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Between 120-144oz per day of plain filtered water.
  • slimfitnessmoms
    slimfitnessmoms Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I only drink one cup of coffee and all the rest water for the day. I only drink around 32-40 oz of water a day. I hope I am getting enough. I don't get very thirsty though.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    kind of an interesting "Quiz" to tell you how much H2O to consume... http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    my goal is to get 8-10 8oz glasses
  • Dlopez678
    Dlopez678 Posts: 97
    Options
    right now my goal is 136 oz a day.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    About 100 ounces
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Usually at least 60 ounces. I stop keeping track at that point.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    A gallon or more...my kidneys enjoy floating. :smile:
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    120oz
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drink 32-96 oz of water at the gym depending what I am doing that day and how much I drank earlier in the day. And I drink at least 24 to 32 oz at work. So 56-128 oz per day depending on how thirsty I am/what I ate/how hard my workout is.
  • PamelaGailJacobucci
    Options
    160 to 170 oz. amounts to about 22-23 cups per day.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Drink as much as you need, no more, no less.

Given the differences caused by climate variations, differences in exercise levels etc, giving an absolute recommended amount on a site like this which has members who live in deserts and the Arctic and everything in between is both stupid and potentially dangerous.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't be fooled by broscience that says there's anything special about drinking plain water. Your body needs H20 period, whether that's consumed as soup, as moisture in roast chicken (60% water!) plain water, fruit or as tea. And no, tea does not dehydrate you. That used to be the thinking but the latest research has disproved it.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Depends on how active I am. If I go running I can easily polish off half to a whole 32 oz water bottle afterwards. I also make a point to drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, out of my 18oz tumbler glass. I drink a lot of water throughout the day though, and will usually drink at least half my Nalgene, and then several more glasses of water from my tumbler. I dehydrate easily, so I have to hydrate a lot.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    4-6 16oz glasses a day plus the water you get from food.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    120-160 oz
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    64 to 96 Oz.'s per day.