Are there other C-Section Mommys out there???

Options

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've always had a shelf, even before I was overweight. It's just my body type. My mother had one too. She had me by c-section (32 yrs ago) but hers was top to bottom, not side to side (bikini cut) like mine. I don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of mine :(
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    Emergency C-section about 16 months ago, and as someone else mentioned, not only do I have that weird "pooch" but the area is still totally desensitized. Like if I touch that area with my fingers, I ONLY feel it in my fingers. Such a weird feeling! I've just started losing weight but am optimistic there is hope for getting rid of, or at least minimizing the "pooch". I'm planning on starting to lift soon to work my core as another poster suggested, so here's hoping that works!

*And even if I never can get rid of the "pooch", it will have been worth it :happy:
  • ckes84
    ckes84 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a vertical c-section scar from my son's birth 22+ years ago. I used to joke that in the dark my husband couldn't tell if he was grabbing my butt or my stomach. I have tried everything to flatten my stomach to no avail until I started doing pilates. One month later I see a noticeable difference. Also, I stopped drinking alcohol and have changed my eating habits drastically. I used to live on cheez-its and Pinot Grigio, but since January 2012 I have not had a glass of pinot or a cheez-it...I believe the combination of eating healthy and strengthening my core is why I am seeing results.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yup!!! 1st one was 10.5 years ago and the other was almost 5.5 years ago. Both times I was blessed with a 'smile.' I've just started this journey 33 days ago...just by being accountable to myself (and now my new online family!) I've lost 9.2 pounds and almost 5 inches total. I've just recently started to exercise-mostly the Walk Diet with Leslie Sansone, but have some pilates and other cardio dvds. I hear much about the 30 day shred and think I will buy that and try not to kill myself! :)
    Please feel free to friend me!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I had my first one almost 11 years ago and my second 7 years ago.. I have very minimal sensation left around the scar area and I fear that I waited too long to try and reclaim my body.. I'd love to see photos of women who had c-sections several years ago and have been able to "bounce back" (or not!)
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have that weird "pooch" but the area is still totally desensitized. Like if I touch that area with my fingers, I ONLY feel it in my fingers. Such a weird feeling!

It took a LONG time before I had feeling along my scar-BOTH TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    BUMP - I've had two emergency C-Sections. I'd love to hear what others are doing as well.

**I'm also having a tubal ligation reversal in June & if there is anyone here that has done that as well I'd like to hear about that too.
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency cs 14 months ago (little man decided he wanted his hand/arm to come first). What I have found to help is consistent cardio and various core exercise. Sit-ups, reverse sit-ups, lunges, also 6 weeks to a 6 pack has taught me a few new moves that are really helping (and I just started). I basically have no shelf anymore besides when I scrunch up, but it has taken me working out every single day for about 8 months now.

Just keep it up and you'll get there!!!
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section 4 years ago due to a double breech twin pregnancy. Less than 2.5 years later I had VBAC.

Considering I had 3 children in less than 2.5 years I think I look pretty good. I workout 6 days a week doing weights (as heavy as I can lift safely at home) and cardio.

ETA - I don't do both every day.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've had three c/s and my stomach area is just a mess! I have the shelf and mine will not go away without surgery b/c it is really bad. My youngest is 3 and I gained all of my pregnancy weight in my stomach plus my kids were HUGE at birth so I have a lot of excess skin. Still working on getting the belly fat down too but a portion of it is just excess skin.

I run and I'm about 2/3 of the way through P90X.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't alone in this, but it's nice to have a place to vent about it!

I had 2 c-sections, 16 and 13 years ago. I was overweight before my pregnancies and never had a flat belly going all the way back to childhood as I was born with a small hernia that healed itself when I was a toddler. Plus I'm just an apple shape naturally. Since my second son was born I have an area about 3 inches wide that goes from just under my belly button to my scar that is completely numb. I know that the only way to get rid of the deflated balloon that is my tummy is a tummy tuck, but that's not in the finances now and possibly for a very long time. I've lost a lot of weight and have managed to keep this off for six months and looking to lose just a little more and it's WAY better, but still have a pooch. I just started P90X in addition to my running (just started training for my first marathon this fall) and hopefully the weights will help. I noticed a bid difference when I was lifting last winter but got out of the habit last summer and fall. Took me until just this week to really get back into strength training.

So let's hope this hard work (and yes, I'm watching the diet as much as I can right now) pays off with a flatter tummy!
  • petersoncl
    Options
    I had 3 c-sections in 4 years. I got my figure back quickly after each by modern dancing at a dance studio and running, I worked out 1.5 to 2 hours a day between dancing and running. It took away the shelf and gave me a very toned body. Unfortunately I had another c-section 10.5 years later and my muscles separated permentally. The doctor sewed the muscles back together because the more I exercised the further apart the muscles separated.
  • lorforde
    lorforde Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow hearing all of your stories I really feel like we all have so much in common. Those who have not have c-sections do not understand what it is we go through. I was told once that if I just lost weight, that shelf would not be an issue!!!

The muscles are the problem!!!

Does anyone have any photos of success with defeating the shelf???
    What did you do to get rid of it????
  • dckeable76
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section 3 and a half months ago due to a prolapsed cord. I am struggling with my weight post-natally and have today taken the decision to start my diet. I hate the scar I have been left with but know there really isn't much I can do about my shelf, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter so I am now going to concentrate on trying to shift my spare tyres instead. Please feel free to add me. I will need as much support as you can offer as I am a serious chocoholic.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had an emergency C-section with my first and planned C with my second. I don't even feel like I can engage my lower abdominals when I exercise. I would be grateful for tips too. Thank you for posting this!

My 1st c-section was an emergency c-section, the 2nd one was planned, too. Everything is tightening & shrinking, but it's not going away. If it is, it is VERY SLOW. Most people say, having a tummy tuck is the only way to get rid of it. I will learn to love "shelf."
  • CawfeeLuv
    CawfeeLuv Posts: 18
    Options
    I have a ton of weight to lose, but the c-section area has been the hardest so far!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think once its just skin you can only gte rid of that surgically. I have c-section scar and a shelf - dreading slightly getting rid of the fat as then will see how badly skin is stretched.
  • dresha41
    dresha41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I HAVE HAD TWO C SECTION THE LAST ONE WAS 7 YEARS AGO WHAT WEIRD IS IS DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT DURING MY PREGNANCY BUT AFTERWARD I HAVE THE OLD C-SECTION WHICH IS THE UP AND DOWNi HAVE WHAT THEY CALL THE BOOTY IN THE FRONT i DON'T LIKE IT I STILL HAVE NOT GAIN ALL MY MUSCLE BACK FROM IT AND IT IS ANNOYING AND UGLY.SO NO YOUR ARE NOT ALONE.:flowerforyou:
  • BronzeLady
    Options
    Had an emergency c almost 8 and a half years ago. I have sensation in the skin and can also engage my abdominal muscles. The area is trying to tone up, I can tell, but only time will tell if it will totally lift. That skin is persistently just sitting there. I was told I am still able to use my lower abdominals because I was a serious belly dancer before I got pregnant and used those muscles heavily. I don't know how true that theory is.

I still have about 25-30 pounds to lose, so I guess I'll see how the stomach turns out next year since I am trying to lose weight slowly with time. My body has toned nicely, but tummy overhang doesn't want to leave for now! :-)
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm another, emergency c-section 7 years ago. I gained 70lbs during pregnancy which took me 4 years to lose 53lbs, just with very small lifestyle changes.

Like other's have said the scar area has little sensation but for those who have not long had one the scar does improve, mine was like a red rope and now is barely visible and only slightly raised :happy:

One thing I do get is pain occasionally when working out is a kind of tightening pain on the right side of my scar, it burns and I have to stop working out, has anyone else experienced similar???