Running/Jogging -- Speed or Distance?

Options
I've recently begun jogging. I finally made it to a mile straight (no walking). But now that I've got there, I don't know if I should try to run faster or run further. I run very slow--that mile was a 14-minute mile (or about 4mph). I'm jogging for the cardio and also the toning to my midsection, if that makes any difference. So, to those runners out there, should I try to increase my speed for a mile or should I try to run farther than a mile at my current speed? (Or, is there really no difference at all?)

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i think it varies from person to person, i go for distance but thats just me!
  • Justapartyofone
    Options
    I would focus on endurance. As a beginning runner as you slowly build endurance your speed will naturally increase.
    Remember to take it slow and not rush. The biggest failure of new runners is trying to run too fast or too far.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    My vote would be for distance first. Your speed will come as your endurance builds. Good luck!!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    First I went for distance to a certain mileage (I have no desire at this point to run past 3 miles) and now I'm working on speed. So, both!
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've read that longer, slower runs are better a torching fat than faster shorter ones, which focus on muscle building. I've been setting a time to keep jogging for, whatever pace I can do. As the pace gets faster, then I can try to push myself to do longer slower too.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I would focus on endurance. As a beginning runner as you slowly build endurance your speed will naturally increase.
    Remember to take it slow and not rush. The biggest failure of new runners is trying to run too fast or too far.

this... pushing further to build endurance is the way to do it... speed with build on it's own. :)
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree work on distance first.

As you work on distance, you'll naturally get faster, and then when you've built up 3-5 miles consistently each run, you can do speed intervals.

Also, squats, lunges and more squats. These will help you both with endurance and speed.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    For fat burn go for the distance... to increase your VO2 Max, lower your resting heart rate, and become in overall better running "shape" go for speed.

Personally... I'm a distance person. If you run enough distance you will just naturally get faster as you get better at it.
  • NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have worked up to two miles but very slow, I go about 4.5 MPH. I am going for distance at first then I will work on speed. I want to run/jog a 5k so that is 3.2 miles. I think once i get to that distance I am going to work on speed. My lungs are slowly adjusting to it and my heart rate has decreased when I am mid-run so I know I will get faster the harder I push my self.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I went for distance first until I was totally comfortable running 3 miles, then I started adding speed for the last 5 minutes. Now I alternate on speed with less distance one day and then distance with a bit slower speed then next run.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Speed will come. Work on endurance and distance first. Running is awesome, so great job at getting started!!! And yes, I started at about a 14 min mile... today I ran 6 miles in under an hour (9:50ish pace)... it just takes time but you'll get there!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Distance first.... for quite a while. When you start playing with speed you run the risk of injury until your muscles and joints are ready for the abuse. You'll want a base of 6 months or more until you start adding speed work to your routine. :-)
  • DNMcConnell
    Options
    If you are focusing on fat burn, you will want to maintain an elevated heartrate for a prolonged period of time. So if I were you I would focus on distance rather than speed. In order to calculate your optimal heartrate for weight loss, use the following site:

http://www.livestrong.com/tools/target-heart-rate/

Hope this helps :-)
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    BUMP- I want to see what everyone has to say on this subject.

I also run and I am very slow- about 3.0-3.5 MPH ( by my treadmill). The fastest I've ever done a mile in is 13 minutes and that was when I was running outside last summer but my hip really started hurting me so I quit running for about 3 months. Now I'm back at it and I note that if I go faster than 3.0-3.5 my hip starts to hurt again. I was doing 3.6 miles twice a week and 4 miles once a week at a time and I'm back to doing 2 to 3 miles at my pace. I figure as long as I'm comfortable ( meaning no hip pain from the run) and I keep my heart rate up I'm good and it's ok to go this slow- I just think it's most important that you keep running regularly. It will be interesting o see what people say on this subject. Thanks for bring it up.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Add distance, slow your pace down as you do it. For me, I actually picked up speed on the shorter runs when I began adding to the distance.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options

this is so true! this was me when i first started...and then i found jeff galloway's run/walk method. i ran my first half marathon last year and focused more on completing my distance rather than speed. my only goal for my 1/2 was to finish. this year, since i have some training under my belt, i do a combination of both and so far it's working wonders!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I agree with this. It was true to my experience. Happy running!
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I just built up distance until I hit 3-4 miles comfortably, several days a week. Now I've started working a little on speed, though I noticed my speed increased considerably as I built up endurance. Speed work is fun!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Best bets so you don't get discouraged would be to go for distance and endurance first, and focus on speed later. That will come naturally with time, and the more running you get it.
  • flospie
    flospie Posts: 1
    Options
    I would try and increase the distance first, then work on speed later. The advise given is to increase the distance covered by 10% each week. Happy running.