Running/Jogging -- Speed or Distance?

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I would focus on endurance. As a beginning runner as you slowly build endurance your speed will naturally increase.
    Remember to take it slow and not rush. The biggest failure of new runners is trying to run too fast or too far.

This!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on your goals.... do you want to run a 5k? If so, work on distance. If you are in it purely for the calorie burn then I would recommend mixing it up. Do a couple of runs a week where you increase your distance and maybe once a week do a shorter run, but incorporate some fartleks or speedwork into the mix. Runnersworld.com is a wealth of information on various running strategies.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    BUMPing this....I've recently picked it up again after a year's hiatus....
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Endurance. Speed will come eventually but you have to be able to sustain and get there in the first place! :smile:
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I actually posted pretty much the exact same post a few weeks ago(: I'm a pretty new runner (only running since February) but now I can run 3 miles straight. (:

Everyone told me that endurance (distance) is way more important than speed. And you will get faster as you keep running, too. :happy:

I'd just stick with running a mile, and trying to up your mileage every week or so(:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Add distance, slow your pace down as you do it. For me, I actually picked up speed on the shorter runs when I began adding to the distance.

This is good advice. I was trying to run @ 6.5 mph for as long as I could, but it was never more than 13-15 minutes. After seeing several posts like this, I started to run @ 6.2 mph, and I can run for 25-30 minutes almost every time.

I try to combine the best of both worlds. I'll start out @ 4.0 for a couple of minutes to warm up, then 6.5 for as long as I can. Then 4.0 for 3 minutes, 7.5 for 3 min., 4.0 for 3 minutes & then 8.5 for as long as I can (usually 1.5 - 2 minutes), then cool down.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, work on distance and speed will come eventually in time. Add no more than a mile a week to reduce the risk of injury. Running is awesome and so addicting!! Good luck!
  • richiedbond
    Options
    Distance is key to weight lose, if that is what you are after. Speed is just fun... At least it is for me. I run 3 times a week and usually do a short speed day, around 5K for speed. A medium whatever day, basically I do whatever my body feels like, usually around 4 - 5 miles at whatever speed. Then I do a long day of 9 miles+. If you are beginning go for distance and just have fun.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I run at 5.3mph and just started running about 3.5 weeks ago.

I've found that no matter what speed or distance I'm trying to achieve, if I can't get my breathing in sync with my strides, I might as well stop and try again later. I KNOW my legs can do it...I just have to make sure my lungs are cooperating.

Inhale for three strides.
    Exhale for three strides.

That's what works for me. :smile:
  • Emmajool
    Emmajool Posts: 12
    Options
    I run at 5.0mph. I run based on time since I'm on a treadmill. I've worked up to 25 minutes, but then drop back down when I don't make it into the gym. I have noticed that I am starting to outrun the treadmill, so I'm considering speeding up a bit to accomodate that. So... I would say work on distance and speed will just naturally come.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you've just started running there's no need to worry about your speed. I would set a goal to complete a 5k, 10k, something like that and you can always make it a goal to beat your last race.

I've run 5ks, 10ks, and half and full marathon and haven't even worried about speed until now. I have my second half-marathon coming up and want to beat my time from my first! IMO speed will come with endurance...
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    body changes = speed endurance = distance
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    I follwoed the couch to 5 k program me to build up over 9 weeks to a duration of 30 mins non stop. I have no idea what distance I cover, but now I have completed the programme. Yesterday I did 5K in 45 mins with 30min jog and 15 min walk (5 at beginning and usual 5 at end to cooldown but I kept going to reach the 5k mark.

My plan now is to keep doing the 5k distance and see if I can improve the time. Today I am "resting" my running legs so have just done a 1hr walk at 3mph.

Do what feels right for you but do not get upset or frustrated by what you are doing. I got really upset when I realised how slow my jogging pace was but I got over it... someone said to me - no matter how slow you are going you are still lapping the couch potatoes!

Good luck
    -x-
  • lds72
    lds72 Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree with the others and focus on distance. Over time you will get stronger and stronger and your speed will naturally increase. I started running 1.5 yrs ago and my first mile was a 14 minute mile then I focused on running a 5k so I slowly built up my distance to that and once I mastered that distance I slowly increased my 5k runs. I am now running my 5k's under 30 mins and couldn't be happier. Now I'm focused on my 10k runs and 5k's are a piece of cake. I never thought I would love running so much.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I read this. I have started walk/jogging and when I first started...again I could barely run a minute straight. Today I ran 4:31...the length of the song that just made me laugh and was fast enough to keep me moving...ironically the song is called "shake" but n e ways.. I was so proud of myself and now I'm thinking if I put a couple more songs together maybe I'll be able to run that whole mile!! Good read and oh. I run S L O W...4.3mph for now cuz that is what "feels right" . when I did increase my speed...I was in SO MUCH PAIN so i backed off cuz I'm a big baby..oh and I don't want to hurt myself. Great tips all! :flowerforyou:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Start working on the distance. worry about the speed later.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Go for distance. The speed can wait.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for endurance first, worry about speed later (you'll probably find as you get fitter that your speed improves a little without much conscious effort)

The keys to success are consistency and controlled increases in distance (try to keep it to no more than 10% week over week) and before you know it you'll be running a lot farther than you ever dreamed possible - and enjoying it!
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Distance! Become an endurance runner before you even think about speed. When you first start running, your body needs to adjust to the rigors of the road--pace can come later. Cheers! :flowerforyou: