124»

Replies

• warrior_Kk
    Options
    Thx for sharing!
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been trying hard to lift weights -- I started with the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. I've enjoyed it, it's been easy to get into, but I'm weak. The most I can lift at this point is 35lbs, but I just started. I guess I should just keep it up? I started eating more calories this week because MFP had me eating 1240 net, which is way too low for a 5'4 124lb person. Anyone think this is true? Or am I just going to end up 20lbs heavier again by upping my calories? :P

In my own experience, keep at it because you'll only get stronger. Also, MFP had me at 1400 calories to start. I've since upped it to 1650. I haven't lost any weight so far, but I haven't gained a pound either. However, my butt, legs and arms are looking significantly more defined, or at least that's what I've been told so something must be working :P
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    very interesting. thank u :flowerforyou:
  • jts10
    jts10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I've been trying hard to lift weights -- I started with the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. I've enjoyed it, it's been easy to get into, but I'm weak. The most I can lift at this point is 35lbs, but I just started. I guess I should just keep it up? I started eating more calories this week because MFP had me eating 1240 net, which is way too low for a 5'4 124lb person. Anyone think this is true? Or am I just going to end up 20lbs heavier again by upping my calories? :P

In my own experience, keep at it because you'll only get stronger. Also, MFP had me at 1400 calories to start. I've since upped it to 1650. I haven't lost any weight so far, but I haven't gained a pound either. However, my butt, legs and arms are looking significantly more defined, or at least that's what I've been told so something must be working :P

Awesome, thank you. I might lower to 1600 instead of 1700 just because I have trouble reaching these amounts :) But glad to hear it's working for you! And maybe you're not losing any weight because you're gaining it in muscle!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Excellent article!!!

I wish I could have shown this to the PT from hell at my Planet Fitness that told me yesterday I'm too overweight to be lifting free weights, I should be doing crunches and other odd things on a swiss ball in the 2x3 foot space of the gym not dedicated to the cardio-a-haulics. She didn't even want me walking through the "boys department" to get the 10 lb barbie bells she wanted me to use in place of a barbell for deadlifts. *sigh*

Waa? That chick needs to be throat punched! Barbie dumbbells are for Barbies....she is doing what most PT's do, ensuring that she has you as a client ($$$) for a long time. If you just do cardio and crunches you are not going to truly change the shape of your body....it's called skinny fat. I wish I would have listened to my hubby (who is also a PT) when he told me to lift heavy....I was always afraid of being "bulky"....so glad I stopped drinking that Kool-Aid! Weight training is where it’s at IMO! I do cardio as well but am definitely not segregated to the girls side of the gym. I can’t wait until I can lift like the boys do!

I've only been lifting for about 2 months, and for certain exercises I have to wait for the weights I need to be free cause a boy is using them... Man is that ever gratifying, that my hard work is paying off!!!

I love the look in their eyes when I add weight to the bar they were lifting before me! LOL!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

I love the look in their eyes when I add weight to the bar they were lifting before me! LOL!
    Best feeling at the gym LOL I find the reactions range from "what does she think she's doing." to "Damn look at her go!"
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The woman who wrote this article is awesome! I can't wait until I can squat 200 lbs! (I've got a long way to go...but I'm working on it)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I like her take on most of it. And kudos that she states she prefers Paleo, and refrained from pushing it as THE WAY...

But...

(1) HFCS is not poisonous
    (2) Why is she "relegated" to weight lifting on machines now? Just curious.

Re 2: I thought she said in the article that it was because of an injury? I've slept since I read the article, so not sure...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I like her take on most of it. And kudos that she states she prefers Paleo, and refrained from pushing it as THE WAY...

But...

Re 2: I thought she said in the article that it was because of an injury? I've slept since I read the article, so not sure...

I missed that. Figured as much. Well, I just hear that the machines are more likely to cause injury... but I guess it depends on the extent and type of injury in this case, as to which is preferable.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

But...

I missed that. Figured as much. Well, I just hear that the machines are more likely to cause injury... but I guess it depends on the extent and type of injury in this case, as to which is preferable.

I found her blog! She has some really good stuff on here, including her training journal, and it looks like there is more info on the injury, which appears to involve her lumbar spine. It doesn't specify which machines she is using now after her injury, but I somehow get the feeling it's not the same as a precor squat press.

http://beheavy.wordpress.com/
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

But...

I found her blog! She has some really good stuff on here, including her training journal, and it looks like there is more info on the injury, which appears to involve her lumbar spine. It doesn't specify which machines she is using now after her injury, but I somehow get the feeling it's not the same as a precor squat press.

http://beheavy.wordpress.com/

She seems like a very strong person, mentally as well as physically. Thanks for sharing that blog link. Bookmarking it. I'm really interested to find out how she got hurt and how she's dealing with it now...
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump