Coffee..I need help!!!

Options
Hi everyone! So I really need some help/advice. Ok, I am obsessed with coffee and I don't see that thing changing anytime soon but I do want to be able to cut the calories in my coffee drink. Right now I use about 2 tbl of half and half with 1-2 teaspoon of sugar....not the healthiest I know, high calories and high fat (well I could be worse). But I have been playing around with different creamers, milk and sweeteners and nothing I mean nothing tastes good! Any advice or should I just stick with what I am doing?

Replies

• strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    Have it black! You'll probably get used to it after awhile! Thats how I drink mine and I enjoy it that way!
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 5 cups of coffee a day with 1tsp of sugar in each one

I have dropped this down to 1 or 2 cups a day with 1 sweetener

Over time you will get use to it

xx
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Have it black! You'll probably get used to it after awhile! Thats how I drink mine and I enjoy it that way!

THIS! Coffee was meant to be drunk black, plus its a decent source of potassium! Have it black and enjoy (2 cal per 8oz and 125 mg Potassium!)
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from full fat/full sugar creamer to sugar-free. I don' t love the taste as much, but I am getting used to it. Eventually I'd like to drop that too, but coffee has to be enjoyable for me. Know what I mean? ;-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

THIS! Coffee was meant to be drunk black, plus its a decent source of potassium! Have it black and enjoy (2 cal per 8oz and 125 mg Potassium!)

Yep. You seem to be obsessed with cream and sugar, rather than coffee.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Stick with what you like. Just fit it into your daily calorie and macro limits.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee! I have tried it all ways, including black, but right now I only use half-n-half, no sugar. If I'm eating dessert, then I usually prefer my coffee black.
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that sweetners dont taste the same but I made the switch (with tea, I take my coffee with no sugar or sweetner) and now I prefer it.

Have you tried just gradually weaning yourself off? Just very gradually take a little less so maybe over a month or two you get down to none? Or start by mixing sugar and sweetner and milk/cream etc and gradually changing ratio (would that be gross?!)
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Wwitch it to tea and I'm the same way. I refuse to drink it without cream and sugar, I just don't enjoy it.
    I just cut back, I allow myself 2 cups a day, (3 if it's a stressful one :P), instead of every other hour like I used to.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I have switched to sugar free creamers and it taste good to me now. I drink around 3-4 cups a day.
  • Littlerunner0514
    Littlerunner0514 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Not the creamer and sugar, I just have been taught to drink it with the sugar and creamer...when I go to really nice local roasting companies I barely put anything in it...but that gets spendy!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Not the creamer and sugar, I just have been taught to drink it with the sugar and creamer...when I go to really nice local roasting companies I barely put anything in it...but that gets spendy!

Brew your own! :)
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    How many cups do you have a day? If it's just one or two, a little sugar and cream really doesn't have that much of an impact, especially if it's your favorite treat! I recently went to black and I love it like that now, but if you don't want to give it up, there's no reason to as long as you are within your calories for the day.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Fat is NOT your enemy if eaten in moderation, but sugar is. I'd do what you can to lower the sugar, even if it means upping to "real" half-and-half or even real cream. Then start backing off the cream(er) slowly.

The sugar is the really addictive part, and it's going to be hard.

Or you can just "go black". That's the healthiest way to drink coffee. Try mixing something in for flavor (I got off sugar by starting to blend a little cinnamon in my coffee).

You can also try chewing gum while drinking your coffee to give you a little sweet flavor while you get used to the idea. Gum is very few calories, and the flavor stays around for a while, plus you have to be burning off calories chewing it (even if only a few) - LOL.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use either sugar free creamer, or use unsweetened almond mild with sugar free vanilla syrup.. It is close. Nothing is as good as Stone Cold creamer. It is my downfall too, so I just quit buying it. lol:drinker:
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went from cream and sugar to straight black. I enjoy it now.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with coffee! I am actually drinking some right now! What I did was I slowly decreased the amount of sugar and cream until I was drinking black. Took me about a year but now I love black coffee. But also life isn't about denying yourself every pleasure! If it fits in your calories and you love it keep it!
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've generally cut down on my coffee intake because of calories. However I still have a normal coffee first thing in the morning, other than that I try and drink it black during the day, usually ends up being 95% of the time. Then you still get a really good favorite coffee, and then caffine in the remainder of the day. Black coffee does take some time getting used to, but if you have a "blonde" coffee (starbucks term) it is less strong, but has all the caffine.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Stick with what you like. Just fit it into your daily calorie and macro limits.
    ^This^
    I like it with skim milk and 1 sugar :)
    Also...I like to add cinnamon in the grounds when I brew it
    or a scoop of flavoured coffee
    extra flavour at no extra cost :)
  • kiwilass
    kiwilass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im in the go for black camp not instant though. Make fresh filtered or buy a coffee machine. Makes a big difference in taste. Try and ditch the sugar.l -