Alcohol affecting my progress!

Options
13»

Replies

• sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I can relate. I'm in this situation 1-2X a week and it's killing all chances at losing weight. I go for one drink but then people buy me drinks and I feel guilty and feel as if I have to drink them. I know I don't but i feel as if I do. Than after a few hundred calories in alcohol I go to food. I wish I had advice for you but I can't even control my own situation.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me personally, the first drink sells the second. I find it almost impossible to "just have one" (the same way some people have trouble with just one cookie or just one french fry, lol).

When I was previously at my goal weight, I didn't eat perfect, but I didn't ever drink any alcohol or caffeine. Now I eat very clean, but I drink alcohol and caffeine and find that the weight is not coming off at all. I find that the real problem is like you said: alcohol lowers my inhibition to eat more, so even if I am eating healthy foods, it doesn't matter. I eat too much. I find caffeine does the same. It curbs my appetite for a little while, but once it wears off, I am starving, and I eat too much.

Anyway, I am trying to quit alcohol and caffeine. I really enjoy them, but they are wrecking my goals. Feel free to friend me if you need a buddy in quitting!

I knew there was a reason I friended you, my dear!! I'm right there with ya! :-)
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    And to the OP, I understand, I understand!! I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic but I was pretty close for a while. In my 20's and up until a few years ago, I used to drink every single day. If you looked at my food diary (Non MFP) from 2010 and previous, I had alcohol in some form all the time.

I have always had good eating habits, and have always exercised regularly, but I know alcohol always set me back from staying at my ideal weight/fit. I was never the type that had "just one" drink, and I would consume as many as 10 mixed drinks in a night. Plus, after that, I would drunk eat, and make poor choices, and sometimes not even remember what I ate. This caused me to gain weight over time, and I knew I needed to stop.

It took me a long time to get to the point I am now. I stopped drinking everyday and limited it to the weekends or on social occasions instead of drinking alone. Then eventually Happy Hours dwindled down, then I limited it to once or twice a week... I'm still working on controlling how much I drink when I do. This is the main reason I'm on MFP. When I have alcohol I have no control over my diet.

At least now, I opt for mixed drinks with diet sodas (whiskey and diet coke or diet ginger ale), or some kind of light beer. At least now when I drink I log everything in MFP, so I'm more awayre of the empty calories I'm consuming.

Yes, it is possible to lose weight while still keeping room for alcohol. I worked out like crazy to be able to drink the way I wanted, but never logged it, so I overestimated how much room I had.

A lot of people had good tips, but you're already one step ahead of things by logging your alcohol in MFP.

If anyone else reading this is in the same boat with alcohol, feel free to message me and friend me! I welcome the support! It's hard but it can be done!

And OP jporcelli, good luck! You can still enjoy and succeed with your weight loss goals!
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Essjay76,

I just wanted to say I think your honesty is very very commendable, regarding your personal struggles.

I am not sure I know many people who would open up about their challenges and invite others to make positive changes as well.

I wish you all the best in health and happiness on your journey towards bettering yourself.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me personally, the first drink sells the second. I find it almost impossible to "just have one" (the same way some people have trouble with just one cookie or just one french fry, lol).

When I was previously at my goal weight, I didn't eat perfect, but I didn't ever drink any alcohol or caffeine. Now I eat very clean, but I drink alcohol and caffeine and find that the weight is not coming off at all. I find that the real problem is like you said: alcohol lowers my inhibition to eat more, so even if I am eating healthy foods, it doesn't matter. I eat too much. I find caffeine does the same. It curbs my appetite for a little while, but once it wears off, I am starving, and I eat too much.

Anyway, I am trying to quit alcohol and caffeine. I really enjoy them, but they are wrecking my goals. Feel free to friend me if you need a buddy in quitting!

I knew there was a reason I friended you, my dear!! I'm right there with ya! :-)

*hugs!*