What size weights are the best for a woman to tone arms?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    My trainer has me lifting lighter weights and doing higher reps. Following his advice for the past couple of years has given me some very nice toned arms :smile:
    Probably could have gotten it done much sooner with heavier weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...
    Chance of "bulking" up on calorie deficit are pretty nil since to do it you need a surplus. Bulk is the combination of muscle and fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    this is going to go against everything that everyone says, lol, but I like to work to a level that i can repeat every day. working to complete fatigue 3 times a week does not appeal to me, unless i am specifically training for something.

because i was injured and had to start from basically zero again, i actually started with 1lb weights doing 30ds (30 second strength/cardio circuit training). i quickly had to replace these with 2lb, then with 5lb.

it's really a matter of doing what you find helpful, suitable for your routine, and if at all possible enjoyable. i do really enjoy smashing myself to exhaustion...but only on saturday! during the week i want a stable, repeatable routine that i can easily increase when i feel that i have outgrown it. :)
    If you train the same muscle with moderate resistance everyday, it doesn't have a chance to rebuild or recover. If you can do it everyday with light effort, then the resistance is too low. While you are exercising everyday, results will probably be very slow.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    It's not the amount of weight, it's the number of reps and the intensity of those reps.

It is my opinion that you should be doing 3 sets of 12-20 reps (I personally would go for 15). Now Choose a weight that you will have a hard time getting the 15th (or whatever your last rep is) rep up.

Low weight, high rep (12-20), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning
    Medium weight, medium rep (8-12), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Toning and Building Muscle
    High weight, low rep (4-8), to positive failure (you can do no more exercises) = Building Muscle

IMOP, the key is to get to a positive failure at the given rep goal you have for the exercise. If you can seemingly go on and on forever with a given weight, it's too light. Their is a balance to getting the most out of the time you spend working out.

I hope that makes sense, and these are my opinions, so I'm sure someone won't agree, but it's worked for me.

This!

also try tricep dips - i have a love hate relationship with them....
    depends on what i'm doing as to how much weight i do.... On the incline chest press I can do 60lbs if I'm just doing like 3 sets of 15 -- but today I did 5 sets of 18 at only 30lbs and felt it.
    on chest press with free weights I can do a 25lb dumbbell in each hand. - 4-5 sets of 15-18
    Single arm rows, i typically do with 20lbs.... - 4-5 sets of 15-18
    That high of reps is for muscular endurance. If you're looking to have muscles that can endure long work, then this is the right program.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    I am just getting into the cardio and strength training routine and currently I am using 5 pound weights in high reps... I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...) Is this a good size to continue with and it just takes time, or should I bump up the weights?

What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you working out to a workout dvd/vhs, the gym or on your own? I don't believe in lifting heavy, because I know that a person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results, so I would never suggest that to anyone.
    You don't have to lift at all to lose weight, but to "tone up" muscle, it has to be challenged. If light lifting worked, then mail carriers would be in excellent shape. Same with grocery store check out people.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    A barbell with options up to 350lbs!

Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Rows
    Chin ups

These are simple to do and learn.
    If somebody says the word "Accessory lift" you need to run fast in the opposite direction!

he speaks so simple and so true. I gotta agree here. My arms are looking amazing after 3 weeks of dumbbell presses, pushups, squats and deadlifts (among a few other things)

Heavy, yes, but 350 lbs for a beginner?
    LOL I was kidding with the 350! Wouldnt that be a shocker?!
    =D
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    this is going to go against everything that everyone says, lol, but I like to work to a level that i can repeat every day. working to complete fatigue 3 times a week does not appeal to me, unless i am specifically training for something.

because i was injured and had to start from basically zero again, i actually started with 1lb weights doing 30ds (30 second strength/cardio circuit training). i quickly had to replace these with 2lb, then with 5lb.

it's really a matter of doing what you find helpful, suitable for your routine, and if at all possible enjoyable. i do really enjoy smashing myself to exhaustion...but only on saturday! during the week i want a stable, repeatable routine that i can easily increase when i feel that i have outgrown it. :)
    If you train the same muscle with moderate resistance everyday, it doesn't have a chance to rebuild or recover. If you can do it everyday with light effort, then the resistance is too low. While you are exercising everyday, results will probably be very slow.

IDEA Fitness member

I guess it depends on what sort of result is desired, right?

I call shenanigans on the concept of moderate effort every day = no ability to repair/recover (unless what I call moderate is what you call light???). How is that even logically possible? Prior to industrialization and (obesity), humans were putting in moderate effort all day every day for all of human history, rowing boats, chasing goats up mountains, digging, chopping, building, plowing. I am fairly sure that the amount of time required to recover is directly proportional to how many micro-tears occur in your muscles and therefore how much metabolic work the body needs to do to patch up those holes. If work load is moderate, there are not many tears, so does not take entire days to repair those cells. If work load is really high, the muscles are really sore, and it may take multiple days to repair.

Isn't that how it works, or am I missing something?

But sure, if i want big, strong muscles that look shapely and are good at doing one thing, I need to lift heavy and rest well.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    HEAVY ONES.

Check out new rules of lifting for women.

May I ask who wrote this? When I looked in Amazon there are two with different authors. Help!!
  • You gotta go heavier. I gained all the muscles in my arms from using anywhere between 3- 8 kgs dumbbells at the gym. At home I have a sad set of 2 kg that I bought when I first started and at the time I could barely use those properly without hating life. Bittersweet success lol.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    I'm a newbie at this - just started 3 weeks ago.

Where weights are concerned, it really depends on how strong you are at the outset. You're like me (same age, never lifted).

I only lift 5-8kg weights for most arm exercises (usually compound). Only barbell rows, deadlifts and bench presses (the closed grip ones) that I can lift much heavier (obviously). As for side lateral raises (the ones where you raise your arms to the side with a dumbbell, forget it! I can't even do 5kg on that!!

What is most important is that you do all the exercises CORRECTLY. There really is no point using heavy weights if your form is poor.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Whoever said bodyweights exercises^.
    Listen to them, its a great way to tone up.

Also, and I know Im very biased, but if there are any pole fitness classes near you, get yourself along. Its an amazing way to tone and build muscle. Ive just gotten to the point where my back and arms have suddenly 'popped' and are becoming noticeabley more muscular.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    HEAVY ONES.

Check out new rules of lifting for women.

May I ask who wrote this? When I looked in Amazon there are two with different authors. Help!!

Lou Schuler
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    My trainer has me lifting lighter weights and doing higher reps. Following his advice for the past couple of years has given me some very nice toned arms :smile:
    Probably could have gotten it done much sooner with heavier weights.

IDEA Fitness member

My trainer also tries to make me do low weight/high rep. But I tell him, i want to go heavier. He asked me if I wanted to become a body builder... Once it becomes too easy, shouldnt you go heavier? Ever since going heavier, i can see my results.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    I have a friend at the gym that has been a personal trainer for many years and what she has told me to do is to lift heavier and so far its really working. I was lifting 10lbs, then I went up to 12lbs on my own. That wasn't enough so I have been lifting 15lb weights now. I went from 3 sets of 20 reps to 3 sets of 15. Basically what she told me is that the last 3-5 reps should take "mental power" to do them. She says its not about the amount of weight, its if it "pushes" you or not.

Also, I personally have found that if your not sore the next day, your not working hard enough :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...)

Hiya, I think many have misunderstood your requirements... maybe I'm wrong.... but are you looking for tips to spot-burn fat around the arms? Am I correct in thinking that you want to lose the "waddle" because you normally wear short sleeve tops?

If so, lifting heavy weights focusing on arm exercises is not going to help much - simply, you will build nice muscles under the "waddle". You cannot spot-burn fat. You know all those videos on YouTube saying how you can get nice abs - notice how none of the trainers have much bodyfat? You don't see any of those male trainers with excess bodyfat elsewhere but a rock hard midriff due to crunches.

So, as one person suggested above, you need to reduce bodyfat which comes from a combination of a mild calorie deficit, cardio-vascular exercise and general weight lifting (to build muscles all over but not just doing arm exercises!).

And you won't end up looking like Arnie overnight... that takes serious dedication.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    That makes sense to a point ( I am almost 40 and have NEVER exercised before... so please excuse my ignorance... I dont want to "bulk" up... but do want to tone my muscles and make them well defined... I hope that makes sense...

I'm almost 45 and I lift heavy. You won't bulk up,women are not made that way.

Check out the New Rules of Lifting For Women...it's a book and a great starting point.

I didn't start seeing the results I wanted until I started lifting heavy,I am able to squat over a hundered pounds! My legs are not bulky by any means. Make sure you're eating enough! Also,making sure you're getting enough protein is important too!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Yep, as I say, it takes serious dedication to bulk up. A woman can be strong, very strong, but still not "bulky":
    http://youtu.be/gujO4xYSAdo
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    It's pretty much impossible for women to bulk up without some form of chemical help as we just don't have the testosterone levels required, so lift away without worry of bulking. I've been told this by quite a few people now, several of whom are qualified fitness trainers and consultants, so I'm inclined to believe them. I also very recently read a very interesting blog entry showcasing an amazingly inspirational woman who "lifts heavy" and looks amazing - no bulkiness or anything. :)
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    My strength workout currently is made up of a variety of things that are done on different days. Yesterday I did incline/decline pushups with a bench, flat/incline presses and flyes with an exercise ball, and lateral raises. Today I will be doing planks, squats, lunges and shoulder presses. Sets of 8-12 reps, depending on the exercise.

I started lifting for the first time in mid-Feb with 5s. This week I finally felt able to move on to 15s and I LOVE the burn I feel in my arms, core and legs (the entire body is involved when you lift while perched on an exercise ball).

I hope you enjoy lifting. I cannot imagine not doing it. :)
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Bump for later