% carbs / protien / fat / etc per day OR just calories

Options
HI. I am wondering if you all focus on the individual categories of what we are consuming: protein, carbs,etc
or
Do you just stick to / focus on total calories for the day?

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I do both but am wondering the same question.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within a certain ratio but if I go over or under in an area I then go with calories. I have heard different things about calories and ratios so if I skew away from my ratios a bit I don't feel bad as long as I am within my calories :)
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I'm a low carber so I do not worry that much about calories. I try to ahieve a daily ratio of 75% fat / 20% protein / 5% carbs. Seems to be working too. I average about a pound and a half loss a week and stay in constant ketosis.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Protein intake is important for a variety of reasons (I can get into them if anyone actually cares). The protein recommendations MFP makes are too low by default. Aim for 1g of protein/lb. of lean body mass (ok to estimate) as a rule of thumb. Your results will improve.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Both! So some questions about you. Are you working out? If so, what kind of workouts? This can help some of us to advice as to how to adjust the macros.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i customized my % goal categories to what I'm trying to accomplish so I do try to keep them close to goals. It helps me at the end of the day when I'm under and deciding what to have to bring up my total calories. That being said, it's always fairly rough and I don't obsess over it, more of a guide when making some choices.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I just do the calories and burn the calories if I go over the fats or carb allowances
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with calories at all, I am low carb/ ketogenic. I watch my protein(try to get enough) and my carbs (not to much) my macros are
    5/50/45 carbs/protein/fat
  • gbg49229
    gbg49229 Posts: 57
    Options
    I care, looking to learn! thanks
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under on everything, I have my settings at 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I was a 40/40/20 person but my trainer told me to up my carbs because of my workouts
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Zone seems to work well for burning fat.

Protein and Fat 30% each.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    curious what the 'pros' have to say about macronutrient ratios based on body type ie mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph.

example of the theory: http://joesephtyler.blogspot.ca/2009/04/macronutrient-ratios-by-body-type.html

fact or fiction? please weigh in.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Protein is my number one goal, I try to get as much as possible, then I look at calories, fat (the bad kind), and carbs.
    I found out that there are lots of carbs in good stuff (like veggies), so I try to not stress so much over it.

It's a learning process, and takes time.
  • Skye259
    Skye259 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do it all, I like to keep my carbs down and also watch fibre etc, try to keep it all in balance, not too much of anyone thing. Helps me track and stay on track.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber so I do not worry that much about calories. I try to ahieve a daily ratio of 75% fat / 20% protein / 5% carbs. Seems to be working too. I average about a pound and a half loss a week and stay in constant ketosis.
    Would you be willing to make your diary public? I'd be interested in seeing what you eat.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I generally will watch all focus on calories protein and sodium calories under protein over sodium under
  • bbysars
    bbysars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I look at everything as a whole, when I first started I was under calories but was consuming so many carbs somehow and then I learned about all of the hidden sugar in everything I was eating! A special K bar might be 80 cals but it's got like 20 something grams of sugar! I Now I try to keep it as low carb as possible without depriving myself of the things that I like/crave. I try to eat as much protein as possible though and if it's looking a bit low or I have a long day in the gym I do have a protein shake. Everything I eat is usually low in fat (besides cheese every once in awhile) so I don't really look at the fat.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i usually zone 40c/30f/30pro it works best for me when i am trying to lose and lean out. i recently changed mine to 45c/30f/25p, i am on a rest & recovery phase right now. i always try to hit my protein and fiber goal then i look at the rest....i try not to go over on my carbs, but that occasionally happens. and i try to keep under my cals.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    curious what the 'pros' have to say about macronutrient ratios based on body type ie mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph.

example of the theory: http://joesephtyler.blogspot.ca/2009/04/macronutrient-ratios-by-body-type.html

fact or fiction? please weigh in.
    Completely irrelevant.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 40c/30f/30protein, but the only one I really try to pay attention to is the protein and the calories.
    I use it more of a rough guideline than a hard rule though.