% carbs / protien / fat / etc per day OR just calories

Options

Replies

• meskibrp
    meskibrp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends on goals.... for weight loss theres one rule... Calories in VS calories out., you must establish a deficit to lose weight. PERIOD. IT doesnt NOT matter about macros at this point. However, when you come to a point in your life that you decide to BB or try to perform at certain intensity scales... this is when you want to pay attention to macros. When i cut i pay close attention to my protein because a higher diet based protein is proven to help retain strength and muscle mass.

I establish my maintenance. (which is a weekly average sense my levels of activity and work outs vary)
    I establish a desired deficit. (-250-500) caloric deficit. a day
    I do 1Gram of protein per LBS.
    60-80 grams of fat

and fill in the rest of my day with what macro i wish till i hit my caloric cap.

Theres no point in avoiding carbs because protein eventually is broken down chemically to the same form a carb would have been. Just establish macros according to your goal(s).
  • Joey_TheGreat
    Options
    i would say that should be based off what goals you are trying to achieve. Looking to just lose weight and trim up I would track caloric intake over it all. If you want to lose weight and maybe retain muscle or tone up you certainly would want to track your macros with a heavier emphasis on your proteins to carb ratio.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just watch calories. And sodium when its weigh in time. Never cared about carbs or fats.
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    I meant I don't like to go over 20 grams more than MFP's recommendations
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was just following calories and not eating back my calories burned in workouts but when I lost 3 lds in one week I looked at my food log to see what might be different from the week before when I only lost 1 lbs and I noticed my carb intake was under 100 each day that week and not the week before so I started watching both and I have been doing well, 2 lbs this week already watching both, calories around 1200 and carbs 100 or less but always above 50.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you overdose on something, like say protein, it will turn to fat...as would carbs or sugar. So I personally do not like to go over like 20 grams on anything.

tumblr_mjctf79n9p1rdce4bo1_250.gif

heeheeheeheehee you always crack me up so much that my bosses look at me!
  • yocupcake
    Options
    Wow type a mistake on here & people go ape ****
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tend to shoot for very close to the recommendations MFP sets for me. They work for me. I always go over on fiber & sugar though. I can't seem to eat much fruit without going over their sugar goal.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

unfortunately that happens all the time (not talking about anyone specific) and yes i will probably get some heat for just agreeing with you.
  • yocupcake
    Options
    Thanks nolachick.
  • Mich3ll36
    Mich3ll36 Posts: 96
    Options
    I personally watch calories, protein, fat, fiber and sodium. works for me
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What works for me is just counting calories and also staying within my fat, sodium and carbs. I don't worry too much about sugar (because a lot of mine comes from fruit or healthy snacks) or protien because I need both for my daily workout. Sugar for energy and protien to build muscle. I stress enough about calorie counting to have to go over everything I put in my mouth with a fine tooth comb. I've lost 26 lbs since Jan 1st so far, it's obviously working for me. Also, I do still have sugar and protien visible in my log so that I have the option of seeing how much I have gone over and scaling back if I feel I need to.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks nolachick.

:laugh: It's an open forum. You say something idiotic people are all over it. Heck we're all here to learn. Or at least some of us are. Relax. It's Friday! :smokin:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

That's nothing, love! Chill out
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Im sorry. I thought I was being friendly because it was obviously a typo. Im sorry I interacted with you but you didnt have to call people monkey feces. That goes against the Terms of Service and Community guidelines.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haha I was a little curious but I kept reading, I figured no one would be able to do 20g / 20g / 20g because that only adds up to 20 * 4 + 20 * 4 + 20 * 9 which equals 340 calories. I figured it was an honest mistake. Don't worry :)

EDIT: in case you're wondering where the math comes from here's a handy way to figure out calories from carbs/fat/protein:

each gram of Carbs has 4 calories.
    each gram of Protein has 4 calories.
    each gram of Fat has 9 calories.

and the lovely and often forgotten one...

each gram of Alcohol has 7 calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well at the risk fo being called ape****, that is not correct info either. 20 grams over MFPs recommedation is not significant. Many people working out regularly eat 1 gram per lb of leab body mass. The body does not preferentiall store protein. It stores excess calories of any kind. In a calorie deficit, you will not store anything as fat (barring any metabolic health issues). The body will tend to prefer to store fats and carbs first and utlize protein. So, indirectly, excess protein will cause fat storage in a calorie surplus. Not so in a deficit.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAACROSSS
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I look at them but other than sugar, don't care much about anything other than calories.
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my calorie goal, but I take note of the others if I go over.