There is no such thing as a "CURSE WORD"

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
So, in my opinion, there's just no such thing as profanity. This includes bad words, curse words, cuss words, swear words, derogatory names or labels, etc.

Here's my reasoning:

1. Language evolves. Words that were considered profane in the past might now just be part of the average, politically-correct Westerner's vocabulary. Words like panties, sexy, *kitten* (in "bad word" context), hell (in "bad word" context), slut, etc. Now, they might not be NICE words. But they are, in no way, considered profanity.

Even the hugely-illegal FCC (Federal Communications Commission...first amendment anyone?) won't require these words to be bleeped out of network TV shows or music on popular radio. (I'm not 100% familiar with the strength of the FCC's grasp on media these days, so those statements might need expansion/correction.)

But, at one point in time, those words could get you killed. As in sentenced to death by a court of law.

2. Context! Everything is up for interpretation. This is especially true for languages like English with which we speak more in slang than anything else most days. I know very few people who use language MOSTLY CORRECTLY. I'm sure many of you would like to pick out each grammatical error in this post alone. But, I've never ONCE been accused of having a vocabulary or an understanding of language that leaves something to be desired. I respect and adore language. I suppose that's why I think it's more powerful than a handful of petty cultural, fluid social norms.

3. Religion! I can't get into it here too deeply because the internet is full of people who get offended if you talk about their god or gods. But it IS worth mentioning that one way to control the thoughts of the masses is to control their language. Have you ever learned a second language? Don't you find that, while most of the time you THINK IN your first language, some words just implant themselves in your mind in that second language and you have to struggle to think of its relevant alternative?

A super-accessible version of this would be learning, at a very young age, the word PASTA. Now, when you go to an Italian restaurant are you going to ask, "What kind of NOODLES does that come with?" Or will you just inquire about the style of PASTA? In fact, you might think it odd if your waiter were to ask you, "What kind of NOODLES do you want with that?" I, for one, would give my tablemates a cocked head and raised eyebrow, mouthing the word "NOODLES?". :laugh:

This is just one of the ways the top world religions play a part in conditioning people to think a word is good or bad. Grace, joy, love, worship, purity are words one might see as GOOD. While words with a BAD connotation might be sin, hate, deception, violence, lust, etc. But why are these words good or bad? Because the church says so.

If you were raised with these words OUT of popular context, would that mean you swear? If I use the word "****" in mixed company to describe a body part because I grew up in a place where that word had no negative connotation and simply meant penis, would that mean I'm less eloquent than you? Or just less indoctrinated?

Anyway, I could talk about this forEVER but I won't bore you with a (taller) wall of text. I want to know what you all think and why. Come on. Play with me.

:drinker:

Replies

• McKayMachina
    Options
    Those stars would be the word C0CK.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hell's bells McKay!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I may not give it quite as much thought, but I agree with you. Words have the meaning you let them have based on all those categories. I think this is especially true when people who see an issue brought up that's close to their hearts. They jump strongly on whoever brings it up, but when someone brings up another issue they don't relate as much to, the people jumping on that person are being too sensitive.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    lol@taso XD

@bron: YOU'RE 100% RIGHT! I guess it's "only human" to take offense to something personal. My boyfriend and I both use the word "retarded". (You and I have had this conversation before, I think.) I think it's funny. I would never say it, even jokingly (which is the only way I EVER use it) around a mentally handicapped individual, but some people, likely people close to a mentally retarded person, would say using the term EVER is vulgar, ignorant and hateful. I completely disagree!

That said, a cop walked into my work the other day wearing a shirt that said "RA-TARD" real big on the chest. The RA probably stands for something. Maybe he was RA in his college dorm. Maybe he really loves the Republic of Armenia. Or maybe he's just a hick who likes the way it sounds when making fun of his buddies. Either way, he was walking into my work to be fitted for a uniform for the Sheriff's Department. Not really a good choice. But, that isn't the worst of it. DIRECTLY after he walked in, so did a family whose adult son obviously has Down's. I spent the better part of an hour sneakily guiding each group around the store so that they'd avoid each other. I mean...we sell guns. Ya neva know! (lol) But, no, i just didn't want anyone to be offended. And i know the officer noticed the man. I wonder if it occurred to him what shirt he had on...

So, I get why there's a time and a place for certain pieces of language. But I don't think using "curse words" makes you a bad person or means your vocabulary needs work. I think it means you're using all the tools at your disposal.

Now, that's no reason to run around shouting obscenities just for the hell of it. But it IS reason not to censor yourself so you'll "get into heaven" or so people will think you're a "good guy" or whatever.

shrug.gif
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    While words with a BAD connotation might be sin, hate, deception, violence, lust, etc. But why are these words good or bad? Because the church says so.
    What religion teaches that those words are bad? Many believe that those things in and of themselves are bad, but I don't know of any that believe that the words themselves are bad.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Too much to read.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my culture! :bigsmile:

Here we have many of those "curse" words that we use some of those as an expression or as a joke to our friends & not just when we are angry. Its more in the manner of usage. It can only become curse when you use it out of anger.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, there's no difference between the "f-word" and the word "pizza." We GIVE words power. Anyone read Harry Potter? The more he SAYS Voldemort, the more he takes away the fear from the word, and the figure. :flowerforyou:
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    did-not-read-meme-generator-did-not-read-153a4a.jpg?1305700196.jpg

But I disagree with the title...there are curse words, I just don't care if you use em or not.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    While words with a BAD connotation might be sin, hate, deception, violence, lust, etc. But why are these words good or bad? Because the church says so.
    What religion teaches that those words are bad? Many believe that those things in and of themselves are bad, but I don't know of any that believe that the words themselves are bad.

Yes, that is true. I just said that they have a bad connotation. Not that they're examples of profanity. I just can't spout a bunch of profanities here on the MFP boards because, ironically, it would get me in trouble. XD But it was a stretch to use those as replacements. Did you at least get my meaning?
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    The way I see it, there's no difference between the "f-word" and the word "pizza." We GIVE words power. Anyone read Harry Potter? The more he SAYS Voldemort, the more he takes away the fear from the word, and the figure. :flowerforyou:

Ha! :laugh:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    To anyone posting TL;DR type comments:

This is a discussion about LANGUAGE. That's PROBABLY gonna involve reading some actual words.

If you want pictures of kitties and boobies, may I suggest reddit?

:laugh:
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    But I disagree with the title...there are curse words, I just don't care if you use em or not.
    Agreed.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Agreed.

Thank you for not quoting that ridiculously enormous and hardly relevant image.

Also, can you please tell me WHY you think "there are curse words"?

I'm really curious to hear this perspective.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I bet if I were to tell ladies here they were a word that rhymes with hunt almost 100 % would be calling for my banning.

I am fine with that,no matter what anyone thinks there will be a constantly shifting paradigm of what is acceptable and what is not.
    It is what is and wailing against it is like screaming about why there is air.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    We give power to words by using them in or out of context...used in context, I can say "my b*tch ran across the street today," or "my b*tch is pregnant." But I could get shot saying "you are a b*tch". I find it offensive and hurtful when people use words out of context. Not that I don't occasionally curse (generally when I hurt myself--which is often--I'm not very graceful dammit), but I try really hard not to direct curse words at other people.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    true true :) also were all adults we have all heard/read the words before so if u don't like it y not move along its not like there are 5 yr olds reading on here xD
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Also, can you please tell me WHY you think "there are curse words"?
    Whether you're talking about individual criteria for what is vulgar, or what they majority of the general population considers vulgar, there certainly are "curse words".
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • NathanJ79
    NathanJ79 Posts: 36
    Options
    "There is no such thing as profanity" is a silly statement. Profanity is profane words; profane is offensive. Offensive is subjective, some of us take offense more easily than others.

Slurs are almost always offensive because they take a bunch of people who are the same because of something they were born into (gender, sexual orientation, race, skin color, etc.) and lumps them all in the same bad boat. Or a condition such as a developmental disability. If someone were to call you (OP) a *kitten*, or, if that gets starred out, a negative variation on the word "prostitute", you would probably be offended. Maybe. Most slurs against women boil down to the same: that she's only good for sex. Even as a man, I find that offensive.

For general profanity, these are words that have meaning that have been perverted to be used as expletives. For example another word for women, was originally just a word for a female dog. That was the original meaning. People who know dogs typically want a male dog, unless they want a ***** to breed and make money. Male dogs are usually relaxed and chill, female dogs are territorial and moody. Calling a woman one is just attributing the characteristics of a female dog to a woman.

So I disagree that there are no words that are bad. However, I defer to what my mother taught me. That you use the language appropriate for your company. If you know somebody's going to be offended by a word, pick a different word unless there's no other word. My father's advice is a little differently. Do not use a word, he said, unless you know what it means. And then, only use it correctly.