There is no such thing as a "CURSE WORD"

Options

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I bet if I were to tell ladies here they were a word that rhymes with hunt almost 100 % would be calling for my banning.

I am fine with that,no matter what anyone thinks there will be a constantly shifting paradigm of what is acceptable and what is not.
    It is what is and wailing against it is like screaming about why there is air.

Haha. I reserve that word for especially cun+y ladies. I've actually only used it to describe two women in my life and, believe me, they deserved it. :laugh: But I don't hold back because it's not "appropriate." I use it sparingly because when I attribute that term to someone, the people around me know I mean business. It's another case of using a word for its power. :)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. I am a theist (some might speculate an unorthodox Christian, and I'm cool with that), and I attend a life group with my church fairly regularly. It was discussed a few weeks ago that vulgarities are wrong because... I don't know, 'cause God said so, I guess. While I do believe Jesus existed, and I do believe there is a god, I do not believe every single thing in the Bible because it is a *very old* set of books that has been translated *thousands* of times -- I have no doubt that there were people in power who manipulated it in some way for their own agenda.

Anyway, there are quite a few words that we consider vulgarities that were actually used in the Bible. I'm sure there's as many as six, but "*kitten*" and "piss" are the only ones I can think of. And "damn", of course. "Hell", but I don't think of that as anywhere near a swear. I got into an argument with someone over Facebook once because I said something about God, but I also used a swear word like "damn" or "*****" in my comment. She threw a fit because no one should *ever* use a swear word when talking about God. Truth is that what is considered a swear is based not only upon language, but upon culture. Americans and Brits speak roughly the same language, but in British English, the word "bloody" is seriously about as foul as the American English "****ing" -- I have no doubt that will be censored, but you probably know what word I mean (hint: I often type it as "fawkin'").

Words should not really be taken so harshly or offensively. People shouldn't get upset because a word is considered unpleasant. Honestly, that's the criteria for what makes a word a vulgarity or a swear. You just wait -- one day, words like "menstruation" and "bile" will also be swear words.

Edit: Someone brought up a valid point about how to use such words. I do believe a word like those listed becomes more offensive when used *at* a person in a negative connotation. That being said though, any word becomes offensive when used with a negative tone. If someone is arguing with me about a social justice issue and I tell her she is a raging feminist, then I have used feminist with a negative connotation, but no one would say that I was swearing, I don't believe.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    "There is no such thing as profanity" is a silly statement. Profanity is profane words; profane is offensive. Offensive is subjective, some of us take offense more easily than others.

Slurs are almost always offensive because they take a bunch of people who are the same because of something they were born into (gender, sexual orientation, race, skin color, etc.) and lumps them all in the same bad boat. Or a condition such as a developmental disability. If someone were to call you (OP) a *kitten*, or, if that gets starred out, a negative variation on the word "prostitute", you would probably be offended. Maybe. Most slurs against women boil down to the same: that she's only good for sex. Even as a man, I find that offensive.

For general profanity, these are words that have meaning that have been perverted to be used as expletives. For example another word for women, was originally just a word for a female dog. That was the original meaning. People who know dogs typically want a male dog, unless they want a ***** to breed and make money. Male dogs are usually relaxed and chill, female dogs are territorial and moody. Calling a woman one is just attributing the characteristics of a female dog to a woman.

So I disagree that there are no words that are bad. However, I defer to what my mother taught me. That you use the language appropriate for your company. If you know somebody's going to be offended by a word, pick a different word unless there's no other word. My father's advice is a little differently. Do not use a word, he said, unless you know what it means. And then, only use it correctly.

Your parents sound awesome. I think I'm gonna have to side with your dad on that one. ;)

Thank you VERY much for this reply. It was thoughtful and illuminated some things I didn't get into. You're right about the title being silly. It was sensationalist so people would read my thread. :laugh: But, subjectivity aside, I still feel like it's true, silly or not.

:drinker:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I definitely agree. I am a theist (some might speculate an unorthodox Christian, and I'm cool with that), and I attend a life group with my church fairly regularly. It was discussed a few weeks ago that vulgarities are wrong because... I don't know, 'cause God said so, I guess. While I do believe Jesus existed, and I do believe there is a god, I do not believe every single thing in the Bible because it is a *very old* set of books that has been translated *thousands* of times -- I have no doubt that there were people in power who manipulated it in some way for their own agenda.

Anyway, there are quite a few words that we consider vulgarities that were actually used in the Bible. I'm sure there's as many as six, but "*kitten*" and "piss" are the only ones I can think of. And "damn", of course. "Hell", but I don't think of that as anywhere near a swear. I got into an argument with someone over Facebook once because I said something about God, but I also used a swear word like "damn" or "*****" in my comment. She threw a fit because no one should *ever* use a swear word when talking about God. Truth is that what is considered a swear is based not only upon language, but upon culture. Americans and Brits speak roughly the same language, but in British English, the word "bloody" is seriously about as foul as the American English "****ing" -- I have no doubt that will be censored, but you probably know what word I mean (hint: I often type it as "fawkin'").

Words should not really be taken so harshly or offensively. People shouldn't get upset because a word is considered unpleasant. Honestly, that's the criteria for what makes a word a vulgarity or a swear. You just wait -- one day, words like "menstruation" and "bile" will also be swear words.

Heck yes! Actually, I'm pretty sure there are still pockets of America where people think the word menstruation is vulgar. :laugh:

P.S.: Kudos to you for using your own brain instead of employing half-dead church-think. :drinker:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    P.S.: Kudos to you for using your own brain instead of employing half-dead church-think. :drinker:
    Just as people's own opinions can be influenced by lay philosophers and writers, what is wrong with someone's opinions being influenced by religious teachings? Not everyone that subscribes to religious tenets is a mindless drone.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    But I disagree with the title...there are curse words, I just don't care if you use em or not.
    Agreed.

Thank you for not quoting that ridiculously enormous and hardly relevant image.

Also, can you please tell me WHY you think "there are curse words"?

I'm really curious to hear this perspective.

First, we're having a discussion about the fact that curse words exist. We know what they are.
    Second,you don't use em in certain situations. When you're at a wedding, funeral, getting interviewed for a job etc....
    And lastly I wouldn't want my kids using the words until they're age appropriate. A two year old shouldn't know what *kitten*, cnut, dcik, pu$$y mean...and they shouldn't say them until they're maybe in their teens. For that matter, I wouldn't want my daughter or son if I ever have em, to know what a vagina or penis is until they're like 45.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I bet if I were to tell ladies here they were a word that rhymes with hunt almost 100 % would be calling for my banning.

I am fine with that,no matter what anyone thinks there will be a constantly shifting paradigm of what is acceptable and what is not.

I told you, I hate that pet name! :angry:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Haha. I reserve that word for especially cun+y ladies. I've actually only used it to describe two women in my life and, believe me, they deserved it. :laugh: But I don't hold back because it's not "appropriate." I use it sparingly because when I attribute that term to someone, the people around me know I mean business. It's another case of using a word for its power. :)
    Laughing to myself...had a student ask me what this word meant this past week (I teach high school)...COULD NOT believe he didn't know! When I told him all he could say was: "She called me a vagina? What is the male equivalent? Cuz that is what I will call her for the rest of the year."
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    But I disagree with the title...there are curse words, I just don't care if you use em or not.
    Agreed.

First, we're having a discussion about the fact that curse words exist. We know what they are.
    Second,you don't use em in certain situations. When you're at a wedding, funeral, getting interviewed for a job etc....
    And lastly I wouldn't want my kids using the words until they're age appropriate. A two year old shouldn't know what *kitten*, cnut, dcik, pu$$y mean...and they shouldn't say them until they're maybe in their teens. For that matter, I wouldn't want my daughter or son if I ever have em, to know what a vagina or penis is until they're like 45.

Okay. Now that you've explained WHAT your opinion is, would you mind sharing WHY you feel that way?

Because, to me, all those situations you just listed are arbitrary cultural phenomenon. Thoughts?
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    sure there is.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

Okay. Now that you've explained WHAT your opinion is, would you mind sharing WHY you feel that way?

Because, to me, all those situations you just listed are arbitrary cultural phenomenon. Thoughts?

It's not just my opinion. It's why they are labeled curse words. When you go to a funeral and refer to the dead as a fcuker versus a pizza, I'm sure you'll know the difference.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    it takes alot to offend me. but i do get annoyed by people who cant express themselves using words longer then 4 letters. it doesnt make you sound smart or cool like it did when you were 14. as you grow so should your vocabulary.
    there is a time and a place for every thing, including language. if you feel wrong using a word infront of someone then its probably a word you shouldnt be using in your day to day life.
    words have power to others even if they dont to you. and they can have a lasting scaring impression when used as a weapon.

that being said its your choice what you say who you say it too and when you say it. the first amendment gives you that freedom. so think what you want and say what you please. just dont jump on people who say they are offened because that is their right too.
  • JSnover
    JSnover Posts: 51
    Options
    Too much to read.

x2
    way to much reading makes me bored really fast
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    it takes alot to offend me. but i do get annoyed by people who cant express themselves using words longer then 4 letters. it doesnt make you sound smart or cool like it did when you were 14. as you grow so should your vocabulary.
    there is a time and a place for every thing, including language. if you feel wrong using a word infront of someone then its probably a word you shouldnt be using in your day to day life.
    words have power to others even if they dont to you. and they can have a lasting scaring impression when used as a weapon.

that being said its your choice what you say who you say it too and when you say it. the first amendment gives you that freedom. so think what you want and say what you please. just dont jump on people who say they are offened because that is their right too.

Thanks for the input!

So, if a person never feels "wrong" using a word in front of someone does that still mean they are abusing the word as a profanity? Like, in the "c0ck" example above? Barring, of course, any cerebral damage/birth defect that might kill a person's sense of appropriateness. Phineas Gage anyone? ;)
  • Twilightsunflower
    Options
    if it is brought to their attention that it is hurting someone feelings, damaging there self worth, or making them feel like they are less then a person then yes they are being abusive with their language and should have their mouths duct taped shut till a time they can act like the adults im sure they claim to be.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i didnt read, because I am lazy.. but I think damn is technically an "actual" curse word, as in damning something is cursing it.. just saying..
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    That's really interesting.

So, let me ask you this:

What is your favorite pet name for the person you love or your child? Let's, for the sake of argument, say it's "honeybee". What if, through countless cultural factors, over time, the word "honeybee" came to be regarded as a horrific, offensive curse word? What if it were the most derogatory word you could possibly direct at someone? Would you stop calling your loved one "honeybee" because the majority of the people around you took serious offense to it?

How would you feel? How would your behavior change or not change in a situation like that?
  • Twilightsunflower
    Options
    i dont know what i would do because i have never faced that type of situation before. a term of enderment has never turned foul on me.
    if it offended people i wouldnt say it infront of them, but would use it in my home were the meaning and affection are still pure.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    As always I love your food for thought Mckay!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "You seven over there: bad words....very bad words."