HELP! BMR?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm confused on my BMR as well. Fat2Fit is tell me I should eat 1885 calories. i'm willing to try, but my question (because I'm new to this and kind of confused!) is: Is that number NET or GROSS calories?

I'm 5'2, 175lbs (I hate you, baby weight!) and I walk/jog 3-4 days a week, sometimes 5, but not usually.

Thoughts??

Oh, and (edit) it says my BMR is 1637.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    *duplicated
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    ok - so, fat to fit says i should have 1700 kcals a day and not move?!

I have 1300-1350 at the moment and don't feel hungry... i eat what i want to eat and have good days and bad days... and still not loosing anything! (Although I haven't weighed in for 3weeks due to still feeling fat so therefore I must still be the same weight!)

Shall i up this to 1500? (I think i would find it hard to put my calories up... mainly because i'm not hungry!!!) and because I don't exercise AT ALL!!! (I'm doing a Masters in psychology and the next 11 weeks are tied up with non stop work!!)

Also the next 11 weeks are the weeks i NEED to loose 14lbs!

AGHHH

It's not too difficult to increase calories without increasing volume of food.

Add some olive oil when you are cooking
    switch from low fat versions of things like spreads and mayo to full fat versions
    add some nuts/seeds/dried fruit
    add some grated cheese
    drink a glass of milk or fruit juice.
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    ok - so, fat to fit says i should have 1700 kcals a day and not move?!

I have 1300-1350 at the moment and don't feel hungry... i eat what i want to eat and have good days and bad days... and still not loosing anything! (Although I haven't weighed in for 3weeks due to still feeling fat so therefore I must still be the same weight!)

Shall i up this to 1500? (I think i would find it hard to put my calories up... mainly because i'm not hungry!!!) and because I don't exercise AT ALL!!! (I'm doing a Masters in psychology and the next 11 weeks are tied up with non stop work!!)

Also the next 11 weeks are the weeks i NEED to loose 14lbs!

AGHHH
    If you want to accelerate your weight loss, I highly recommend you find time for some exercise. For about $7 on Amazon you can get Jillian Michaels' 30-day Shred. It only takes 20 minutes to do the workout and you'll feel tired but accomplished afterward.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    OK.... So I went onto Fat 2 Fit to do my BRM and it said:

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1712
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1962
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2212
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2462
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job.) 2711

There is NO way this is right - If i ate 1712 kcals a cay, I WOULD PUT ON WEIGHT!!!!! Not Maintain or loose a little

Am I getting something wrong here?

I think what you're showing here is your TDEE, not your BMR...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your BMR (what your body needs to survive if you were to just sleep all day) is probably lower...this is the number you shouldn't go under or your body will go into "starvation mode".

Your TDEE is your BMR plus any additional calories you may burn doing normal daily activites, so, if you're looking to maintain your current weight (and you are truely sedentary and don't work out), eat at your TDEE, or the 1700 calories and you should be okay :)

If you want to lose weight, eat less than your TDEE, but not below your BMR...

Hope this helps!
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    OK.... So I went onto Fat 2 Fit to do my BRM and it said:

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1712
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1962
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2212
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2462
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job.) 2711

There is NO way this is right - If i ate 1712 kcals a cay, I WOULD PUT ON WEIGHT!!!!! Not Maintain or loose a little

Am I getting something wrong here?

I think what you're showing here is your TDEE, not your BMR...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your BMR (what your body needs to survive if you were to just sleep all day) is probably lower...this is the number you shouldn't go under or your body will go into "starvation mode".

Your TDEE is your BMR plus any additional calories you may burn doing normal daily activites, so, if you're looking to maintain your current weight (and you are truely sedentary and don't work out), eat at your TDEE, or the 1700 calories and you should be okay :)

If you want to lose weight, eat less than your TDEE, but not below your BMR...

Hope this helps!

The fat2fit calculation gives you the TDEE for the goal weight you input, not your current weight.

The idea being that you start eating like the thinner future you and will never have to change when you get to goal, as you'll already be eating the right amount.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey - those figures sound fine to me.......I have used Fat 2 Fit Radio to get help with my MFP calorie goal and mine is as follows (I am 5'3'', 39 years old, CW is 162 and GW is 140):

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1652
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1893
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2134
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2375
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2616

I have my MFP goal calories set to lose 1/2lb per week (based on sedentary) which is about 1500 cals which is just above my BMR and I try to eat my exercise cals. Based on the above I would be moderately active but I cant physically eat that many cals so eating the exercise calories based on sedentary seems top work for me. I have read loads on the forum and used loads of calculators to finally get to where I am now! I lose weight slowly but I have been losing inches quicker as I work out 4-5 days a week (running and strength training).

No matter what I try to net 1200 -1500 cals per day and sometimes I feel like I am stuffing my face lol!

Friend me if you want........