Temperature of water!?

I just read something that said..

"only drink cold water, this will boost your metabolism"

Is this true? I hate cold water stright fom the fridge, hurts my teeth!

Replies

• bangersnmash90
    bangersnmash90 Posts: 78 Member
    I don't think you only have to drink it cold, but I have heard that because your body has to work to warm the water up then it burns calories or something. I'm no expert though!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I think the extra calories burned are minimal, so if you don't like cold water, just drink it at room temp.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yes and no. Drinking anything cold requires your body to use calories to warm it. But it is a very small amount of calories. I read once that if you drank 2 glasses of ice water every day for a year, you would burn approximately enough extra calories to lose one pound.
  • In my exercise physiology class, thats what my professor said. The cold water makes your metabolism work harder then warm water, but it probably won't make a difference because water is good for your body either way. I have read though that cold water is good since it boost your metabolic rate to help your body burn calories. I'm not an expert, i'm just stating what I was told by my professor as well as reading other resources. So who knows whatthe real facst are.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    I think that BS myself. Zero medical proof regarding it last I read.

And if you think about it, would we have evolved with are bodies burning calories drinking cold water? Would we have survived?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    It's not enough to make a difference. Except in the summer when it's really frickin' hot, I prefer most drinks at about room temperature. Plus, I have to sip icy-cold drinks or I get brainfreeze, but I can chuggalug a slightly warmer drink. So I drink more.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Insignificant to actually bother making sure your water is cold, in my opinion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16822824
  • bcattoes
    I think that BS myself. Zero medical proof regarding it last I read.

And if you think about it, would we have evolved with are bodies burning calories drinking cold water? Would we have survived?

Why wouldn't we have survived?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's negligible. Squeeze your butt cheeks together one time and clap your hands once . There, that's about the same extra metabolism boost.
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    I drink a glass of ice water within 10 min of waking to burn more fat as recommended by Tim Ferris
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I umm.... the temperature affects the "route" it takes, so to speak.

Ice cold water will make you have to pee really bad, while warm water takes the other path.
  • thebigcb
    If we evolved relying on water, it would on made it very hard for us to survive if we burned more calories by drinking cold water.

I heard that it was the case, had a read into it, and found out that theres about as much truth to it as celery is a negative food.
  • bcattoes

Ice cold water will make you have to pee really bad, while warm water takes the other path.

What?!? :laugh:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    It's negligible. Squeeze your butt cheeks together one time and clap your hands once . There, that's about the same extra metabolism boost.

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL
  • thebigcb
    I'm peachy, I don;t think that is true at all
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

:indifferent:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    But it is a very small amount of calories. I read once that if you drank 2 glasses of ice water every day for a year, you would burn approximately enough extra calories to lose one pound.

This is pretty close to right. 2 eight ounce glasses of water is a pint, which weighs a pound. 365 pounds is 166 kilograms. Heating 166 kilograms of water from 0 C to 20 C will take 3320 kcalories, just under the 3500 kcalories in a pound of fat.

Most of the people who recommend drinking ice water to lose weight do so because of the confusion between food calories and scientific calories. The calories we talk about in reference to food are actually what scientists call kilocalories or 1000 calories. It takes 1 scientific calorie to heat a gram of water 1 C, but only 1/1000 of a food calorie. Because of this confusion, people think it takes 9000 food calories to heat that daily pint of water 20 C when in fact it takes only 9 food calories, one butt squeeze and a hand clap instead of a thousand.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member

Umm....are you saying you *kitten* warm water? I think you should see a doctor about that.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnjPq1KN9VjeL2IphKsqaGQVNJNYNazfbp3fAjjre6z2df2tFXbA
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member

Umm....are you saying you *kitten* warm water? I think you should see a doctor about that.

JORRA!!! I literally just SPIT my ICE COLD water all over...Monitor, keyboard, phone...Wet. Thank you for that.