Temperature of water!?

2»

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I umm.... the temperature affects the "route" it takes, so to speak.

Ice cold water will make you have to pee really bad, while warm water takes the other path.

Umm....are you saying you *kitten* warm water? I think you should see a doctor about that.

JORRA!!! I literally just SPIT my ICE COLD water all over...Monitor, keyboard, phone...Wet. Thank you for that.

sorry :blushing:
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    What if I have an icy cold beer? Could that help my metabolism? :laugh:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    :laugh: :noway: :laugh: i think i love this thread.

this reminds me of when i was told that not ONLY should i drink cold water to burn more calories, but that i should drink HOT water with meals so that fats would stay melted and thus not be metabolized. :frown:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    But it is a very small amount of calories. I read once that if you drank 2 glasses of ice water every day for a year, you would burn approximately enough extra calories to lose one pound.

This is pretty close to right. 2 eight ounce glasses of water is a pint, which weighs a pound. 365 pounds is 166 kilograms. Heating 166 kilograms of water from 0 C to 20 C will take 3320 kcalories, just under the 3500 kcalories in a pound of fat.

Most of the people who recommend drinking ice water to lose weight do so because of the confusion between food calories and scientific calories. The calories we talk about in reference to food are actually what scientists call kilocalories or 1000 calories. It takes 1 scientific calorie to heat a gram of water 1 C, but only 1/1000 of a food calorie. Because of this confusion, people think it takes 9000 food calories to heat that daily pint of water 20 C when in fact it takes only 9 food calories, one butt squeeze and a hand clap instead of a thousand.
    What a great answer. Thanks.

I would swear, though, that I read somewhere it was one butt clap and a hand squeeze.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    this reminds me of when i was told that not ONLY should i drink cold water to burn more calories, but that i should drink HOT water with meals so that fats would stay melted and thus not be metabolized.

Too funny. The water would have to be very very hot to keep that fat sizzling all the way through your intestines. Probably better just to drink it straight out the fryer!

Disclaimer: This post does not constitute medical advice. Consult your doctor or other medical professional before attempting to drink hot fat straight out the fryer.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    I posed a similar question a few weeks back!! The reason for my question was because I saw an article about drinking "warm" water during/immediately after meals. Supposedly drinking warm water helps flush any excess fat from the food you've consumed, and helps with overall colon health. My sister swears by it. And if you all don't mind a little TMI, it does keep things moving a little bit better. (for me, anyway)

Having said that, I also subscribe to the cold water theory. I generally sip on cold water most of the morning, especially after I go on one of my walks, and drink more in the afternoon. For lunch I do try to drink about 10 oz of warm water with my meal. I don't necessarily drink the ice cold water for the intention of burning calories, but to quench my thirst, as I am ALWAYS thirsty. I used to chug down about 120 oz diet coke per day, and am now substituting water for it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    But it is a very small amount of calories. I read once that if you drank 2 glasses of ice water every day for a year, you would burn approximately enough extra calories to lose one pound.

This is pretty close to right. 2 eight ounce glasses of water is a pint, which weighs a pound. 365 pounds is 166 kilograms. Heating 166 kilograms of water from 0 C to 20 C will take 3320 kcalories, just under the 3500 kcalories in a pound of fat.

Most of the people who recommend drinking ice water to lose weight do so because of the confusion between food calories and scientific calories. The calories we talk about in reference to food are actually what scientists call kilocalories or 1000 calories. It takes 1 scientific calorie to heat a gram of water 1 C, but only 1/1000 of a food calorie. Because of this confusion, people think it takes 9000 food calories to heat that daily pint of water 20 C when in fact it takes only 9 food calories, one butt squeeze and a hand clap instead of a thousand.

Good post, but even if the math adds up I believe that the study I linked earlier suggested that the actual thermic effect was far lower than what the math would suggest. I'll look again though.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    I hadn't looked at your link, Sidesteal. It says (among other things):
    Cooling the water before drinking only stimulated a small thermogenic response, well below the theoretical energy cost of warming the water to body temperature.

I was calculating the theoretical energy cost, just based on the definition of calorie. You're right. Apparently that theoretical calculation is an overestimate. Thanks for pointing that out again!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I hadn't looked at your link, Sidesteal. It says (among other things):
    Cooling the water before drinking only stimulated a small thermogenic response, well below the theoretical energy cost of warming the water to body temperature.

I was calculating the theoretical energy cost, just based on the definition of calorie. You're right. Apparently that theoretical calculation is an overestimate. Thanks for pointing that out again!

No problem, thanks for showing the math as it's still good for perspective sake.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    This thread got really hilarious.

Anyway. If you have to pee in a cup at the doctor's office, but you don't have to go, they'll have you drink cold water. I've been told the colder, the better for making you have to pee.

On the other hand, warm water (particularly first thing in the morning) is often recommended to help relieve constipation as it helps to soften the stool.

Combine those facts with a little Friday morning punchiness, and there you go.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member

Anyway. If you have to pee in a cup at the doctor's office, but you don't have to go, they'll have you drink cold water. I've been told the colder, the better for making you have to pee.

On the other hand, warm water (particularly first thing in the morning) is often recommended to help relieve constipation as it helps to soften the stool.

All water makes you pee and all water softens your stool regardless of temperature. I'm guessing they give cold water at the doctor because most people prefer to drink it that way.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    I umm.... the temperature affects the "route" it takes, so to speak.

Ice cold water will make you have to pee really bad, while warm water takes the other path.

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member

Yes, this thread has gotten really hilarious.