Dating on MFP? Why or Why not?

Options
Now I know some people are not here to meet someone, but what's wrong with meeting someone with a common interest, especially something as motivational as being fit?

I think it'd be great to meet someone on MFP where I can see that they transformed their body through hardwork and strong will. I've read it transfers over to workplace and school too, that those that lose a lot of weight tend to get higher paying jobs and go further in college. Um, Yes Please! Yes I want someone successful!

There needs to be a weight-loss dating group. Churches have singles group to meet someone in the same religion as yourself. Other groups have singles groups, why not a weight-loss dating group?

If there was a part of MFP where you could meet singles and you were looking for someone, is that something you would join?

EDIT - considering MFP has the largest female membership of any internet website I've seen outside of parenting websites I really wish they did have a dating section. That is something I would pay a few dollars a month to join.

EDIT2 - someone pointed out there is an entire dating forum for single MFP people -
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/299-single-peeps-

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    There aren't many asian men on here, but if there were and I was single, I might give it a try.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    There aren't many asian men on here, but if there were and I was single, I might give it a try.

you only date asian men?
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is actually a good idea. I can see that working real well for someone spending their life obese for so long they've always been to afraid to venture out into the dating field. Maybe they'll find someone just like them on here and they might be interested. There's nothing wrong with meeting your hubby on a fitness site! You two could motivate eachother! : )
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I would! Maybe it would be better than regular dating websites, as both men and women here are trying to lose weight, so I think men would assume maybe I don't have a perfect body (yet).
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options

They have to be asian? What if someone said they'd only date a white man?
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I would! Maybe it would be better than regular dating websites, as both men and women here are trying to lose weight, so I think men would assume maybe I don't have a perfect body (yet).

I would PREFER someone that doesn't have the perfect body but is working hard to get it! I would LOVE a workout partner!

Too many times I've fallen for these skinny girls that each McDs all day and flop in front of the TV and never gain a pound. That's not good! They're usually lazy as hell too, whine about walking across a parking lot
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

you only date asian men?

It's just personal preference is all.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

"white" can cover a lot of races.

i guess i can't knock someone for liking what they like, i prefer natural redheads, and even though technically that's not racist that does narrow it down to a specific race.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

I've gone out with guys who aren't asian and my first boyfriend was actually white latino. It's just the physical attraction is missing and they deserve to date women who are attracted to them and I feel I there are enough people in this world that I deserve to date people I'm attracted to as well. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    :noway: :laugh: :wink:
    'whatever floats your boat....
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

"white" can cover a lot of races.

It can cover a lot of *nationalities*, as can Asian... But that's not the point - I was just surprised to hear someone say they'd only date one skin colour.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

I've gone out with guys who aren't asian and my first boyfriend was actually white latino. It's just the physical attraction is missing and they deserve to date women who are attracted to them and I feel I there are enough people in this world that I deserve to date people I'm attracted to as well. :flowerforyou:

Fair enough!
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

click on my picture and see what you've won! :tongue:
  • kimber0607
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

:laugh: :laugh:
    I would like a 30/40-something man with a good job/stable....over 6 feet/dark hair....can u make that appear magically?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I completely agree with the OP. Having something in common is a huge start unlike regular dating sites.

Not exactly a dating site, but MFP does have a Singles group for anyone interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/299-single-peeps-
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Isn't a bad idea, but I think MFP would loose it's purpose, which relies solely in helping people get in shape and count cals. And when you spread your wings too much, that's when you become an ordinary website. Having a community forum I think is more than enough MFP can give.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

I would like a 30/40-something man with a good job/stable....over 6 feet/dark hair....can u make that appear magically?

let's see.....

30...check
    good job....check
    over 6 feet.....check
    dark hair....check....

....so far so good!
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

I change my original answer! If I were single, I would give it a try. :bigsmile:
  • kimber0607
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

let's see.....

30...check
    good job....check
    over 6 feet.....check
    dark hair....check....

....so far so good!

wow, this thread rocks..LOL
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Isn't a bad idea, but I think MFP would loose it's purpose, which relies solely in helping people get in shape and count cals. And when you spread your wings too much, that's when you become an ordinary website. Having a community forum I think is more than enough MFP can give.

I never saw i that way at first but youre right. perhaps if you find someone your interested in you can contact eachother off of the website but as for being on the website, its mainly for fitness and eating healthy, not finding "the one". Just don't let dating be your top priority when logging onto MFP.