Whos had a tummy tuck?

Options
13»

Replies

• kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Two years ago (summer 2010) I weighed nearly 400 lbs. I decided to go for the bariatric surgery and it was done in the fall of 2010. Since then I've lost 200 lbs and am now incredibly active physically. After blowing through several goal weights I finally settled in a 180 lbs and have maintained that weight for more than 6 months. I decided to get a full body lift which is a bit more than just a tummy tuck as it is a full 360 degrees. It was expensive (abour $11,000) and the insurance didn't pay for it. The excess skin had become a big problem and was actually quite painful. Although the surgery itself was painful to recover from for the first couple of weeks, I feel and look much better for it. In fact, I look better now than I did when I was a teenager! It's going to take several more months for the scar from this surgery to fade. It took about 9 months for the tiny scars from the bariatric surgery to fade but they are invisible unless you know exactly where to look. I'm sure in another year the scar from the body lift will be virtually invisible, too.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I sorta had this done 4 weeks ago. I didnt have it done because of excess skin or lipo but because of a muscle issue and a hernia. I had diastasis recti (4+ inch gap and a large umbilical hernia. It was worth every penny. I have two kids ages 6 and 3 and have done fine with the recovery with little help. Insurance did pay for the hernia repair =)

I would say ones pain tolerance plays a huge roll. I have an extremely high tolerance I went home on no pain meds and havent taken any since. I had morphine the first night then nothing. My only pain in the but is no lifting over 5lbs and well I have a 3 year old that doesnt move as fast as I would like from time to time ;)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I had one in January and would do it again in a heartbeat! I also got my muscles repaired. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Honestly, my c-sections were worse, but that's probably because I refused to take heavy narcotics or anything because I was nursing LOL

here are my before and after:
    DSC_9685.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I had a hernia repair and complete tummy tuck done (meaning that my belly button had to be done too). It was painful (more so than the C-sections, I think, but then again, I had a lot of work done with my abdominoplasty). This being said, I was walking and then running within a few weeks. I would definitely do it again. It was well worth it.

BTW I would NOT do it until after you have had all the children that you want though. Or you might be going back for additional abdominoplasty.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had my consult for my breast aug and tummy tuck last week. This is the quote they gave me and this is with a really good surgeon. It took 2 months just to get in for the consult. Is this reasonable? The total (over 15k) seems really high to me.

Mastopexy (Breast Lift) w/augmentation $4500.00
    Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) $4500.00
    Cost of Silicone Implants $2050.00

Surgery Center is:

Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) $1400.00
    Mastopexy with augmentation $ 650.00

Extended stay past 23 hours per night $500.00
    (Required for Abdominoplasty Patients)

*** Hospital policy, they will charge a pathology fee if breast tissue is removed; that ranges from $250.00 - $500.00.

Anesthesia quote is:

Mastopexy 4 hours $1280.00
    Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) 4 hours $1040.00

($500.00 for first hours and each additional
    hour is $260.00)

Mine was $6500 total for a full tummy tuck ( no lipo)! My doctor has his own surgery room in his office so that cuts down on the cost!! I would try to look for a PS in your area that has the same kinda set up.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Mine was 6000 and did get billed to insurance and it looks like insurance did pick up a great portion of it. =) I think it was because of the hernia so the hospital stay and surgery got covered!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I had one in January and would do it again in a heartbeat! I also got my muscles repaired. The pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Honestly, my c-sections were worse, but that's probably because I refused to take heavy narcotics or anything because I was nursing LOL

here are my before and after:
    DSC_9685.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

What weight were you pre tummy tuck? thx
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Kimad ~ I was 135 going into surgery, 5'3"

I got pregnant with my first at 180, gained 45 pounds. Lost all of it plus 30 before getting pregnant again 17 months later, gained 55lbs with that one. I had been at my goal weight for about 2 years, that excess skin wasn't going anywhere despite eating right and exercising 5-7 days a week
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Kimad ~ I was 135 going into surgery, 5'3"

I got pregnant with my first at 180, gained 45 pounds. Lost all of it plus 30 before getting pregnant again 17 months later, gained 55lbs with that one. I had been at my goal weight for about 2 years, that excess skin wasn't going anywhere despite eating right and exercising 5-7 days a week

Thank you,
    I gained 80 lbs when I was pregnant with my twins.. delivered at about 280lbs. Got down in the 245 range but hung around there for about 5+ years. Decided to finally do something about it. I am currently 165 and hope to lose 10-20 more. Problem is the SKIN!!! and the protruding abdomen from the seperated muscles. I just feel so hopeless right now the issue will correct. It's sad becuase I worked so hard and still feel fat becuase of my stomach. I am seriously considering getting a consultation. Not sure how to fund this yet though LOL.. thanks for your help.
  • bombkitty
    bombkitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is really nice to hear that other people feel the way I do. I am having some guilt over wanting to spend this much money on myself, but I can't wait.
  • michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    I too have diastasis recti at 5cm split. I going to have a mini tummy tuck next month to correct this. I have a 6 and 3 year old too! i am happy to read your post, sounds alot like my situation. I have an umbilical hernia repaired awhile ago. thank you for your post!