The "eating healthy is expensive" myth

Options

Replies

• SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Since people are comparing prices.

Corn on the cob? For four? Around $5.00. Sometimes more.

I don't think people in my country would even be able to afford food if it was that expensive. :indifferent: I'm starting to regret my post, it just seemed somewhat accurate to my experience, but I had no idea it could get so much more expensive than that. When I looked at the picture and the prices, I already found they were kinda overpriced :indifferent:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why is this chart made using the cheapest "healthy" food and the most expensive "unhealthy" food?

For example, look at the Whopper Combo meals. If I were trying to get full on fast food, I'd either go for McDoubles or something off the cheapo menu at Taco Bell.

Also, I sure wish I could pay those prices for fruits and vegetables.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I agree the prices are off, but I will say we spend a lot less on groceries now than we did when we are a lot of processed foods. It's also important to buy produce in season, that makes a big difference.

For example, I don't drink soda any more, so money saved. I used to buy frozen snack things, like those hot prezels and such, now I snack on air popped popcorn. We used to eat a lot of mean, now we rely more on beans. We save even more getting dried beans instead of canned. I can my own tomatoes in the summer when I can get them dirt cheap at the farmers market. I used to buy chai tea concentrate and now I make my own. I make my own yogurt using organic milk when it's on sale.... I'm sure I could think of more.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have found that my grocery budget went up when I started eating healthier. Plus, there aren't as many coupons on fresh meats and produce as there are on the prepared/packaged foods so it's a double whammy. Even same-for-same is more expensive. I used to buy the store brand sandwich bread for 99 cents and now I buy multigrain or whole rye bread for $3.

Having said that though, it's totally worth it and I'm not going back to the way I used to eat for any amount of money!
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I buy only healthy foods now (veggies, fruit, lean meats and good cut meats) I have to go to the supermarket every 5 days or so and pick up enough to last for the next 5 days... I spend $120 every 5 days, everything is fresh and nothing processed. I used to spend $100 every 2 weeks... So I do now spend a lot more then I used to. I live in Manitoba Canada and I travel to the US every once in a while and am in shock as to the price of produce there. It is about 30% less then what we pay. Not sure why?? But I would rather pay more on grocerys then more in health care when I get older.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Why is this chart made using the cheapest "healthy" food and the most expensive "unhealthy" food?

For example, look at the Whopper Combo meals. If I were trying to get full on fast food, I'd either go for McDoubles or something off the cheapo menu at Taco Bell.

I pay less than what's shown for fruits and vegetables, and about the same for the "fast food" options. I guess it just depends of where you live and the season. As I said, I didn't mean to state an undeniable truth when I wrote the topic, that's why I asked everyone else's experiences. (Ugh, I wish I could edit the title. :frown: )

Also: I did not make the chart! I took it from http://crissfit.tumblr.com/ (one of my weight loss inspirations).
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    I buy only healthy foods now (veggies, fruit, lean meats and good cut meats) I have to go to the supermarket every 5 days or so and pick up enough to last for the next 5 days... I spend $120 every 5 days, everything is fresh and nothing processed. I used to spend $100 every 2 weeks... So I do now spend a lot more then I used to. I live in Manitoba Canada and I travel to the US every once in a while and am in shock as to the price of produce there. It is about 30% less then what we pay. Not sure why?? But I would rather pay more on grocerys then more in health care when I get older.

Great way to think of it! :flowerforyou:
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options

**this is just what I eat, we do buy other foods for my husband but the $120 is my foods**
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Those pictures made my head hurt. :)

And yes, you can eat healthy, whole foods on the cheap, you just have to plan for it. (shopping, menu planning, cooking.) My farmer's market's produce is always cheaper than the grocery store, but I have to make time for that trip to the market.

If you really want to improve the quality your diet, you'll make it happen.

EDIT: eat seasonal produce and you will save even more money. Bonus!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes my food bill has gone way up since I started this thing. I don't know where some of that was purchased but it sure wasn't where I shop or live!
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My bill has gone up, not down. Here it's much cheaper to eat unhealthy food.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I pay less than what's shown for fruits and vegetables, and about the same for the "fast food" options. I guess it just depends of where you live and the season. As I said, I didn't mean to state an undeniable truth when I wrote the topic, that's why I asked everyone else's experiences. (Ugh, I wish I could edit the title. :frown: )

Also: I did not make the chart! I took it from http://crissfit.tumblr.com/ (one of my weight loss inspirations).
    I don't think anyone's saying anything against you, specifically - just the pictures. :tongue:
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I have saved a lot of money by eating healthier! I use to eat out ALL the time, now I cook more at home.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know when those costs were analyzed because prices have definitely gone up.

I went from $150 every two weeks for myself and 3 children to $300 every two weeks for us. :(
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this. My organic food only meant a bump of about 50 dollars. And the more experienced I get at buying organic (like at a farm or a stand instead of a store) the easier it is to keep the costs down. I also eat less because it fill me up and I'm not craving food all day.

Great post!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I reject these charts because they do not accurately represent the price of groceries where I live.

I don't agree with them because of where I shop. I don't ever, ever buy produce at Walmart. No thanks. As for Lean Cuisines and other foods where you microwave them in plastic, also not for me. I think I do alright with my shopping... I know I could be better, but I don't settle for what's cheap. I look for quality when buying things I don't make myself.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my local farmer's market keeps my grocery prices down
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I also think eating healthier is much more expensive. I have literally spent at least double now that I am buying more meats, fresh veggies and fruits, nuts, yogurt, etc.
    The price adds up much more quickly than buying junky foods.

However, I think it is definitely worth it.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Eating healthy is expensive (but worth the expense in my book). Sadly, if you want natural meat, you need to pay a lot. At least $5 a pound for virtually anything, If not $7-8. Eating salmon? Make that $10 a pound. Do you want organic produce? You are doing pretty good if you find it for $2 a pound where I live. Staples are pretty cheap: lentils, rice, onions, potatoes, beans. Yeah, that's cheap. But you have to pick your battles and your splurges. I try to splurge on meat and save on produce by shopping around, subscribing to a farm, and buying bulk staples to cut down on my bills.

But improving your health and saving on future health bills? A wise investment.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I reject these charts because they do not accurately represent the price of groceries where I live.

I don't agree with them because of where I shop. I don't ever, ever buy produce at Walmart. No thanks.

Actually, Walmart has a pretty decent local farmers program. So if you live in the right region, the produce you get at Walmart can be very good. If you stick to seasonal stuff that grows in your region.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/03/the-great-grocery-smackdown/7904/