The "eating healthy is expensive" myth

Options

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    also, if you buy the store brand, like i shop at whole foods, its just as expensive if not cheaper than name brands. i have me, hubby and a 3 year old, and we buy everything, food/toddler stuff/toiletries/t.p/paper towels, etc. and it never costs more than 100 dollars for 2 weeks. food wise its usually about 75 every 2 weeks. if that were true though, id rather pay more now, than more in hospital bills later when i have a heart attack or diabetes or something else and end up having to spend time in the hospital overnight or more wasting at least 1000 dollars each night.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Hmm, those prices don't mesh with what I pay.

Hell one pound of chicken breast is like 5 bucks now.
    Loaf of bread 3 or 4...

Sadly, yep. It must really depend on where one lives and what's available, I guess?

Most of the prices don't mesh with my local stores, and I live in a big metropolitan area with lots of access to local produce, etc. However, the prices at the local farmers' markets are astronomical compared to the grocery stores, so I generally skip farmers' markets even though the produce looks delicious. A pound of chicken breasts in my local store can be anywhere from 3-5 dollars, depending on sales!!! Ground turkey is at least $3 per pound. But if I skipped the poultry, the natural PB, etc, and bought only dried beans and the cheapest frozen veggies, then yeah, those things are pretty cheap.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I reject these charts because they do not accurately represent the price of groceries where I live.

definitely not here either
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Pay now or pay later. If you eat healthy now and take care of yourself, the expense of healthy food choices is nothing compared to medical bills from abusing your body. And the quality of life by having a fit body! You can't put a price on that.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I reject these charts because they do not accurately represent the price of groceries where I live.

I don't agree with them because of where I shop. I don't ever, ever buy produce at Walmart. No thanks.

Actually, Walmart has a pretty decent local farmers program. So if you live in the right region, the produce you get at Walmart can be very good. If you stick to seasonal stuff that grows in your region.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/03/the-great-grocery-smackdown/7904/

I must live in the wrong region for that, because our Wal-Marts have terrible sick-looking produce...

Wal-Mart is good for stocking up on canned goods and frozen veggies though!
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I do save money by not eating out as often as I used to, and not buying a lot of processed foods...I just tend to eat pretty simply, but it's certainly not cheap, even for one person!
  • PosyPods
    PosyPods Posts: 25
    Options
    I keep close track of how much I spend on groceries, and it's definitely much more expensive getting nutritionally healthy foods. I can't afford organic food at all.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do save some money now that I have been eating better, but what grocery store sells a pound of chicken for $5, and why is it not next to my house?
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I'd be curious to know when those costs were analyzed because prices have definitely gone up.

I went from $150 every two weeks for myself and 3 children to $300 every two weeks for us. :(
    B
    Interesting....I am a single parent of 3 as well and I only spend at the most 80 bucks a week on food...But that is the budget I have set up monthly....And sometimes I might make just spend $60. A difference maybe that my kids eat breakfast and lunch at school and I only really have to buy/prepare dinner (except for the weekends). So, I guess that helps:-)

Now as the above post if this means cutting out fast food/unhealthy foods period, then yes it does save more money. If you haave the addition of grocery shopping AND still eating out....then pretty expensive
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Note: Not applicable for Australia.

These prices are so far off here it's not even funny. The prices for junk food are about right, but the prices for healthy food are about half of what we really pay.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hmm, those prices don't mesh with what I pay.

Hell one pound of chicken breast is like 5 bucks now.
    Loaf of bread 3 or 4...

Sadly, yep. It must really depend on where one lives and what's available, I guess?

Most of the prices don't mesh with my local stores, and I live in a big metropolitan area with lots of access to local produce, etc. However, the prices at the local farmers' markets are astronomical compared to the grocery stores, so I generally skip farmers' markets even though the produce looks delicious. A pound of chicken breasts in my local store can be anywhere from 3-5 dollars, depending on sales!!! Ground turkey is at least $3 per pound. But if I skipped the poultry, the natural PB, etc, and bought only dried beans and the cheapest frozen veggies, then yeah, those things are pretty cheap.
    That's so strange, here going to the farmers market saves me a ton of money! The produce is close to half price.
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Our bill has gone down. We not only spend a lot less eating out, our bill has gone down. We eat what is in season. We make a trip to McGavin's directly and get the loaves that are on $12 for 10, which if you get their early you can stock up on Dempsters 12 grain, Ancient grains, flax, etc. Our average savings is probably close to $100/month at least. Planning, Ad Matching, and buy in bulk. When making a meal, make two to three times the amount and freeze the extra meals. Some of the savings comes from the fact we eat a lot less than we used to.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • terry_mtb
    terry_mtb Posts: 45
    Options
    It is hard for us but we are trying..When you are on SS disability or retired, your money dont increase as fast as food. prices I find that to eat the calories I need to lose weight...the food runs out before the month. Now that the weather is getting warmer the produce will go down. Peppers 4.99lb, It is really something you have to work at. but you can't put a price tag on feeling better.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My expense went DOWN..but a lot of my old expense was from constantly eating out.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its much more expensive for us! We always bought and ate cheap crap: ramen noodles, the cheapest breads, etc. BUT, as I get healthier I am able to reduce the amount of meds I take - so in the long run that might make it even out!
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Currently in Australia, (following the first picture), and using online pricing,

corn cobs are 1$ EACH. - 4 (because there is no online price, 1 kilo of frozen generic corn is 4.14)
    a generic can of tomatoes is .80
    375gm of dried borlotti beans - 2.12
    375gm Red kidney beans - no price online
    500gm store brand brown rice - 3.81
    500gm Kraft Light Peanut butter - 5.92
    4 pack Sanitarium vege Burgers, sweet chili and lime - 6.92

total - without the RKB = 24.51

Yeah. REAL cheap. The only saving grace is that you get more meals from it.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    Prices around here (CT) are more like ~
    $0.70/lb bananas (+0.30)
    $5 box of Kashi (+$2)
    $4-$5 gallon of milk (+$2)
    $6-$7 gallon of non-concentrate orange juice (+$4)
    $4-$5/lb boneless/skinless chicken breast (+$4)
    $4/lb strawberries (+$2.50)
    $6 - $7/lb lean ground beef (+$3)
    $3/lb peaches (+$2)

Those things alone cost about $20 more than projected in those pictures.

I'm going to stop there because it's just a depressing reminder of how expensive food is around here.

ETA - These are all non-sale prices.
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the healthy is a lot more expensive in my experience. We could technically eat cheap if we had beans and rice and oatmeal all the time, but who wants to have the sort of set diet? I want my fruits and veggies and bread and meat.... My bf and I have to stretch $150 over a month for the two of us, which means a really carefully weighted combo of fresh stuff for the first week or two and then the frozen and canned stuff as we run out of options. We really do try to stick to the healthy stuff, and we do okay. But it's frustrating at the end of the month when we're really out of food and I need some calories! And I agree with one of the other posters that nutritious foods seems to be lighter on the calories, and I'd have to eat a ton of fruit that would end up costing more to make my 1350, vs paying $5 for a box of corn dogs that would give me lots of calories and last a while longer.

I'd way rather have the clean eating and the nutrition. It's ridiculous that I have to choose so often if I want to have calories or nutrients.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    When I stopped buying so much processed foods, my food bill went down. I never found eating healthy to be more expensive if you just budget right.