Anybody else hate their smile?

Options
penrbrown
penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
I'm addicted to smiling. I smile all the time but when a camera gets trained at me I immediately adopt a serious expression... why? Because I hate my smile!!! And I absolutely hate seeing it in pictures because it's horrible.

No. My teeth aren't bad.
No. It's not a crooked smile...

It's just that... well... it's an ugly smile. I don't know how else to describe. I've even had people comment on how ridiculous my smile is!!! (strangers of course, friends would never dare. Haha)

Anybody else hate their smile??? Why? Why not? What do you do to overcome your dislike of your smile?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Yep, always hated my smile....darent wear red lipstick for fear someone may mistake me for a post box and shove their mail in my gob!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    yup.

because my mouth is always hanging open and *kitten*

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

also i've recently come to realize that my face automatically resets itself into a frown.

i've no idea why!
  • empty_with_you
    Options
    i hate when i smile with my teeth
  • penrbrown
    Options
    My grandmother used to insist that it's NOT a smile until your teeth show!

But when I smile with my mouth closed I look even more ridiculous so I honestly prefer the open mouthed smiles anyway.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not keen on mine.
    I don't like smiling and showing my teeth, but I must have a slightly crooked smile because when I smile with my mouth closed (which I prefer) I have one tooth that somehow shows through. I guess there's a little gap that's always there, and this one tooth always looks really shiny and sparkling white and gets itself into every picture. Bah!

In fact, here's an open-mouth 'smile' that STILL shows that evil tooth:

14644573_4893.jpg
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I have a gap between my two front teeth that'll never be fixed by braces, so I just have to learn to love it :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    yup.

because my mouth is always hanging open and *kitten*

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

you seriously make me snort!
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do! I never smile in pictures.
  • Beffster
    Beffster Posts: 14
    Options
    Me! I am no oil painting as it is, but when I smile- cringe!

I hate my wedding photos 1- because my hair looks pants, 2- I am smiling so much I look like a goon.
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do VERY very much but for two good reasons: Biggest reason being that when I was younger, I had a baby tooth without an adult tooth under so it was pulled and I was given braces to close the gap. This caused my whole bottom jaw to shift back and NONE of my teeth line up, I can stick my tongue out with my jaw closed, eating is EXTREMELY difficult, I cannot bite my food, when I clench my teeth only two teeth touch. To fix this I would need braces again for at least two years, a fake tooth put in the gap, and major jaw surgery on top and bottom jaw to line them up. Needless to say, I cannot afford such things. Secondly is I had a filling in a front tooth with a rough edge which is now darker so I have a dark circle on my tooth which you can see when I smile :(
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I think i look like an idiot when I do a full smile, so it makes me feel self concious about it. but at the same time I have no shame, so I do it anyway lol.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Me! I am no oil painting as it is, but when I smile- cringe!

I hate my wedding photos 1- because my hair looks pants, 2- I am smiling so much I look like a goon.

Hee. Any pictures taken at special occasions where I am very happy are opportunities to make me feel very hideous. Silly stupid smile and people who take pictures of it!

But... but, your hair looks pants? What does that mean? Haha.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not keen on mine.
    I don't like smiling and showing my teeth, but I must have a slightly crooked smile because when I smile with my mouth closed (which I prefer) I have one tooth that somehow shows through. I guess there's a little gap that's always there, and this one tooth always looks really shiny and sparkling white and gets itself into every picture. Bah!

14644573_4893.jpg

this post made me laugh so hard my boyfriend had to check i was okay. I genuinely didn't notice it until i read your post. Please don't be offended, it was just the way you wrote it :)
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I'm not keen on mine.

14644573_4893.jpg

I love that sparkly tooth!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yep! Right now my teeth are not the best looking. Although they use to be straight and white. Even back then, I had a crooked smile. My ex always laughed at it and made me feel ugly when I smiled. But, I love to laugh and my current hubby has no problem with it. I have also noticed that a few cousins of mine have the same crooked smile. So I have learned to accept it.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Never do with my mouth open. But that's because I need braces, which seems like its never going to happen since I'm already almost 20
  • stay615
    stay615 Posts: 4
    Options
    I hate mine. I have a gap in my front two teeth that braces can't fix. My three siblings though have perfect smiles. One was picked to be a before and after photo for the ortho. I also have a gum line that can't be fixed except with surgery and even then it would only shave off a little. The gum inflammation can't be helped because of medication.
    The only time I could care less about my smile is when I'm laughing and I mean really laughing.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have a love/hate rship with mine.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    No one can tell when I'm smiling... if you know where this quote comes from, you are awesome!