Bicycling---Starting next month--what to do 1st

Options
Okay Guys..
I haven't rode a bike in YEARS..I'm talking over 10 yrs to be exact.
My sister and I have decided to take up cycling over the summer and I need some advice /tips on how not to injury myself or go too hard the 1st time around. My right knee and ankle were injured a few years back.
Should I limit my distance to 1 mile for awhile?
I am planning on buying a "good bike" once I'm committed to doing this..I dont want to spend $800 and don't follow thru.
I am looking to purchase the bike below for a trial run while I condition myself..Your thoughts please! Thanks!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Susan-G.-Komen-Multi-Speed-26-Women-s-Cruiser-Bike/17206772

Replies

• eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    #1--Stay far away from Walmart bikes! Go to a local bike shop that will LISTEN to your needs as a cyclist. Don't let them talk you into a bike that doesn't fit your needs. You can get a great intro bike for $300-$500 but you need to work with someone who knows what they're doing and can help fit you to your bike. You dont' want something that is too big or too small or it'll be terribly uncomfortable and you'd never use the bike. You can also injure yourself that way.

You don't need to limit your mileage to a certain number, just go with how you feel. Stick to comfortable, mostly flat roads until you are comfortable. Do you have any local bike paths you can start with?

Bicycling is the best! But don't go to Walmart for a bike. Ever.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Once you've obtained your bike, I think it's a good idea to learn how to patch/change a flat tire. Ya never know how far out you might be when you blow a tire.
  • eksb
    Options
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/hybrid/700_wsd/#

Trek is a great brand. Something like this would be much better quality.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to stay away from Walmart but there's a bike shop in my town ..I will stop by there tomorrow, I think they do rentals too!
    Thanks for the advice..but what about my knee...I'm hoping it doesnt give out on me while I'm miles away from home :(
    Should I do strengthening exercises before hand?
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    Once you've obtained your bike, I think it's a good idea to learn how to patch/change a flat tire. Ya never know how far out you might be when you blow a tire.
    Absolutely right, I have no clue how to do this and neither does my sister..thanks!
  • eksb
    Options
    Bike shops often have bike classes to teach basic repairs. REI has great classes if you are near one. It's a good idea to rent a bike first to get a feel for what you like and what you don't like in a bike. Don't go out too far until you know your limits. Happy riding!
  • leester
    leester Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband had knee surgery and they told him riding a bike was great therapy. But you must go to a bike store and get the appropriate bike. His short ride is about 30 miles and he has no knee complaints when riding. Good luck
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/hybrid/700_wsd/#

Trek is a great brand. Something like this would be much better quality.

Bless you for this
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to stay away from Walmart but there's a bike shop in my town ..I will stop by there tomorrow, I think they do rentals too!
    Thanks for the advice..but what about my knee...I'm hoping it doesnt give out on me while I'm miles away from home :(
    Should I do strengthening exercises before hand?

Some bike shops offer a "trade up" policy. Check on that. The bike that suits your needs today may be obsolete in 3 months if you take to cycling like i did. It would be nice to lessen the wallet pain. And be warned, it's an expensive hobby, but one with incredible benefits!
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    @ Leester..that makes me feel better..When I exercise I have knee pain..I just dont want it to get worst while I'm miles away from home. I'm thinking of using the stationery bike @ the gym for a week before riding again.
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    1) Make sure you stretch before an outing.
    2) Keep hydrated get a comfy hemet
    3) Get some padded biking shorts (Well worth it) for both male and female riders
    4) start slow...and build into the great Biking machine that you are!!
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started riding again after many many years not touching a bike. My normal ride is about 7miles and I love it. Be forewarned that your bottom is going to kill you the day after your first ride :sad:
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Buy a "female" bike seat. Seriously! The best purchase I've ever made!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I bike 14-25 miles most days, and it does wonders for weight maintenance or loss, believe me.
    I am on a carrera crossfire, but looking into finding a lighter and faster bike, as this thing is hell to get up hills, lol.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If the saddle looks like a couch - it's going to be uncomfortable for the long ride. A narrower saddle with anatomic cut out is the way to go!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yep, trust me, you will want a good seat! All the rest is irrelevant to me. I don't bike professionally so I really could care less about all the other stuff. I would never spend 300 + on a bike. We have months and months we wouldn't even be able to ride the bike (winter). So no way.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Gonna echo what everyone else has suggested....Make Friends with your local bike shop! They are the guys and gals in the know when it comes to the bikes, the gear and the best trails in your area. As you get more comfortable on your bike, try finding some organized charity or fun rides so that you can get a feel for riding in groups as it is a whole different beast than riding out on a trail or road.

I speak from experience on your concerns of knee and ankle pain....biking is the way to go to avoid the pain. I have been under the knife 6 times for knee and ankle problems. I rarely have knee pain whereas running about brings tears to me eyes some days.

As for your starting riding as distance, go by feel. You will be surprised how easy and comfortable it can be if you are on a good bike with good gear.

Last but not least---WEAR A HELMET!!!

Have fun and get pedaling!
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    Gonna echo what everyone else has suggested....Make Friends with your local bike shop! They are the guys and gals in the know when it comes to the bikes, the gear and the best trails in your area. As you get more comfortable on your bike, try finding some organized charity or fun rides so that you can get a feel for riding in groups as it is a whole different beast than riding out on a trail or road.

I speak from experience on your concerns of knee and ankle pain....biking is the way to go to avoid the pain. I have been under the knife 6 times for knee and ankle problems. I rarely have knee pain whereas running about brings tears to me eyes some days.

As for your starting riding as distance, go by feel. You will be surprised how easy and comfortable it can be if you are on a good bike with good gear.

Last but not least---WEAR A HELMET!!!

Have fun and get pedaling!

Agreed...I tried the C25K training program and it killed my knee in little over a week!
    I concluded running isn't for me but I remembered my passion for cycling. I havent done this since college but I'm willing to embrace it again.
    I have a helmet from long time ago..I would never ride without it!
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    yep, trust me, you will want a good seat! All the rest is irrelevant to me. I don't bike professionally so I really could care less about all the other stuff. I would never spend 300 + on a bike. We have months and months we wouldn't even be able to ride the bike (winter). So no way.

Good advice! a comfy seat is on the top of the list in the morning! I'm stopping by the bike shop after the gym
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Buy the best bike you can afford--the less you spend, the more issues you are going to have and it won't likely fit (dept. store bikes are one-size-fits-few). A better bike that fits you well and is reliable will make you want to ride it more.

Wear a helmet. Always.

Get your sit bones measured and purchase a saddle that fits you...the less squishy, the better (sit bone pain eventually goes away. Soft tissue pain "up front" never will...and squishy saddles contribute to those issues).

Ride in a gear that allows you to pedal at a relatively brisk cadence (a bike computer with a cadence sensor is a REALLY good tool for a new rider). Riding in too hard a gear is the quickest way to angry knees. 80-90rpm is golden.

Get a flashy red tail light for riding during low light and a blinky white headlight. These help keep you visible.

Ride with traffic, not into it. A bike is a vehicle, so you need to follow the same rules and laws as any other wheeled vehicle.

Have fun!