Do you refuse to buy over a certain size?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    yes ... thats stupid

:laugh: I have to agree. I wear whatever size looks great on my *kitten*. Sometimes that's a 2 or 4, sometimes it's significantly larger. I have some double digit jeans from before I lost weight that still fit and look good.

There's absolutely no standardization in women's clothing. Sometimes I grab "my size" and can't get them above my knees. Sometimes the cut is just plain wrong for my body and no sizes at all fit right. If it fits the waist, it's tight on the thighs, etc. Plus, I've known people who worked in sewing factories (it used to be a big industry around here - and my father was a member of the United Ladies Garments Workers Union :laugh: ) and know that the workers aren't paid nearly well enough to always care whether or not they put the right size label on the right pants.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ok, I thought id stick my nose in here, since I'm a seamstress by trade.

Now. I wanna say firstly, that with sewing and dressmaking, all patterns are sized by inches and less, not by a number on the tag. Meaning a size six dress from a simplicity pattern will have the same measurements as one from a vogue pattern, etc. the waist will fit XX of inches, its all the same.

Clothing manufactures, do NOT do this, they use vanity sizing. When I was a big girl and wore 16/18 or even when I was up to a 20/22, if I shopped at way, jcpenny, or Dillard's, the sizing would be spot on. But if I shopped at say, a store that caters to bigger girls, like lane Bryant, I was a smaller size by one or two numbers.

I also noticed this when I lost the weight, and became a size 6. I had a couple pairs of pants that were more expensive that we're 4's but holding them up and measuring them to the sixes let me know they all fit my 27 inch waist. Meaning they were actually the same size.

It's kinda like how Maurice's has their bigger sizes listed at 1, 2, 3, and 4. Why do clothing companies do this? Because we're all so hung up on a number. Why are we hung up on a number? Well, because society tells us we're better if that number is smaller. I'm always reminded of the Devil Wears Prada when I think of this, how Anne hathaway in the movie was a six and looked great, but in the movie she gets down to a four, because in her industry anything more than a 2 or 4 was fat.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You need to buy what fits. If you buy clothes because of the size, you'll look like an idiot since all your clothes will be too tight.

Well, I don't buy them if they are too tight. I only buy them if they do fit.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't get why everyone is telling me not to wear tight clothes. When did I even say I wear them tight???!!!! I won't buy them if they are tight. I will only buy them if they fit me right. If they do not fit and are not the size I want I won't go up a size, I just won't buy them either.

Jeeze, one person misreads what I say and everyone jumps on that bandwagon. Talk about actin all grades school.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes that fit me. A number is just a number - not looking like I'm trying to squeeze into clothes that are too small matters more.

Yes. I believe in the fashion bible according Stacy and Clinton...
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, until I learned how to dress. I NEED a larger size of pants because my thighs are big. Right now, I COULD fit into a 14, but they would be snug around my thighs. I would rather fit for the largest part of me, because you can always take the waist in. Sizes on clothes are just a number really. Also considering all sizes are different from one brand to another...it is impossible to be a specific size across the board.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do too, to some extent. If something, no matter what size it is, makes me look like I can show home movies on my butt, I don't buy it! I don't care what the tag says.

I will never, ever buy jeans that have white detailing on the rear pockets. I don't need to advertise my problem areas!

I agree with the Stacy and Clinton theories, too.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    that's dumb. sorry. just be confident in how you look and don't let a number define you!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned with what it says on the label, cut the old one out and sew in your own label. At least then your clothes will fit.

I heard somewhere that celebrities have this done, lol.

~~
    Also, I think people get too obsessed with that number. They're just like "*GASP* I can't be THAT big!!" But honestly, didn't most of us come from a world of size 14+?
    I'm currently in the 5-7 range.. and I had that mentality of I can't be higher than a 5 (But yet I didn't have this problem when I was in the 12-14 range). That's why I'm taking a break before I lose my last 5 pounds. I'm learning to accept myself by whatever clothes fit on my butt, lol.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have some 12's that fit tightly on me, but I still wear mostly 14's in a relaxed cut. I refuse to ever be plus size again, but thankfully, I am well away from the "women" sizes now.

To the OP, you should wear what fits you. If you wear tight clothing that doesn't fit you, you look much fatter than you really are. You are much better wearing something tailored to you that fits correctly than something tight simply because it's a smaller size. Nobody sees the size but you.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned with what it says on the label, cut the old one out and sew in your own label. At least then your clothes will fit.

I heard somewhere that celebrities have this done, lol.

This is one of the saddest things I have ever read...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Like when I am going jean/pant shopping, no matter what size I am at the time I will refuse to even try on anything in a larger size than the smallest I know I can fit into. Like right now I know I can squeeze into *some* 4s and 5s so no matter how much I like the style of the jean if they don't fit me at that size I won't try the next size up.

Is that stupid? Am I the only one that does that?

That is stupid. You are not stupid. You are stuck on the size. Which is sadly going to block you from cute styles in the future and beyond. Companies are ALWAYS different with sizes. You need to remember the inches on your body and the number on the scale are what matters... Not the stupid pant sizes. Seriously!! I remember when I was younger I starved myself not to be healthy or look better but just so I can prove to myself I could get a size 5 on. Didn't really end up happy from that.... Still felt unsatisfied. Lol!! Be happy whatever size you are, especially if you are a HEALTHY size.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I was going to reply a resounding yes until I saw the extension of your question. I refused to buy clothes higher than a size 14 when I was at my biggest of 200 lbs. That was the kicker in my head... I wanted a pair of jeans but would not allow myself to even try on something bigger than a 16. So I lost the weight and now I fit comfortably into size 8-12 depending on the brand. The size doesn't really matter. All that matters is how good you feel in them.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I realised I needed to lose weight when some size 10 US/14 UK were too tight ... I felt like right fatty and would not buy the size above
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's not dumb. You are just being conscious about what you buy. Why spend money on something that is supposed to make you happy and feel good about yourself if it doesn't do that? I would wear yoga pants until I slim down, if I went too high, lol.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I can fit 10s but they are still too tight so I wear 11 size jeans... But I won't go past size 13. I really want to reach a size 9 size jeans again. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    This kind of thought process is what has made the muffin top and butt crack showing so prevalent. People refuse to accept they may not be able to wear a certain size and shove their way into a smaller size.

I buy clothes that fit me and disregard the size. If I put on a size 12 and it looks fabulous on me, I buy it. I don't care if the tag says size 12. I am easily a size 8/10 in most brands, at most stores. However, some brands are notorious for being cut a little more narrow or a little tighter and I know I'll need a larger size.

Buy what fits, who gives a hoot about a number?
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I wouldn't say stupid but you might look kinda .... off. I mean don't you get major muffin top from squeezing int tiny jeans. I have a pair of size 5's and I can get into them but it looks disgusting on me. I wear a 8 Right now, I will never buy a 10+. I'll get sweat pants first. As for shirts, I hope I never have to buy 1X+
  • erickaincminor
    erickaincminor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel that, I'd rather feel comfortable in the clothes I wear. If I absolutely LOVE something I'm trying on, and have to go a size up, then I will. However, if I'm like "oh I kind of like this" then I have to go a size up, I usually won't buy it..
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    LOL I use to be like this.. Like for my birthday, I tried on a 5/6 at one store just cus the 7/8's looked huge, and when I put them on and they fit perfect, I about screamed in the dressing room lol. I could not believe it because I've NEVER even before kids been able to fit in a 5/6. So I would not try on anything else that day, I only tried on 5/6's till I realized that not all stores are created equal lol I went to aeropostale in the mall and tried on their 5/6's a few of their 5/6's fit me but the one's on sale didn't and I wanted the one's on sale lol, so I ended up getting the 7/8's. NOW the 7/8's are to big, they don't look like skinny jeans no more :( and my birthday was just last month.