Do you refuse to buy over a certain size?

Options

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you buy pants that actually fit... and not that you can just squeeze into... you will look better. A lot of the time people can make themselves look slimmer just by learning how to dress properly
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Like when I am going jean/pant shopping, no matter what size I am at the time I will refuse to even try on anything in a larger size than the smallest I know I can fit into. Like right now I know I can squeeze into *some* 4s and 5s so no matter how much I like the style of the jean if they don't fit me at that size I won't try the next size up.

Is that stupid? Am I the only one that does that?

Who is going to see the number on the tag inside?

-A guy won't give a rip.
    -A girl won't see it, but if you look awesome in a size bigger, all she'll know is you look awesome.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult to find the clothes that i like, that are fashionable and appropriate for my age, at the same time being the right color for me and of course they should fit perfectly and be in my price range - that adding one more variable to these makes it impossible to find any new clothes!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I really, really don't see the point in this. Clothing sizes are based on the range of sizes that manufacturer makes. A "small" is going to be the lower end of their range, and a "large" is the higher end. (Works the same with numbers.) It has nothing to do with your body size. Why would you limit what you can buy based on an arbitrary number?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options
    I wouldn't say stupid but you might look kinda .... off. I mean don't you get major muffin top from squeezing int tiny jeans. I have a pair of size 5's and I can get into them but it looks disgusting on me. I wear a 8 Right now, I will never buy a 10+. I'll get sweat pants first. As for shirts, I hope I never have to buy 1X+

I don't get this mentality either. If you'd wear sweatpants over a bigger size, you're telling the world that you don't look good, and you're making sure that you don't. But if you wear jeans that fit you properly, no one is going to really notice that you went up a size.

If everyone over a size 10 wore sweatpants, this would not be a pretty world at all.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    YEAUP! I refuse to go over a size 7 I would FREAK out if I did..so as I have been able to maintain my weight at roughly around 140 if I EVER hit 145-150 I would FREAK out even mooore lol but right now im down to 138 and losing weight yay! cant wait till i get back down to a size 5!!!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't get why everyone is telling me not to wear tight clothes. When did I even say I wear them tight???!!!! I won't buy them if they are tight. I will only buy them if they fit me right. If they do not fit and are not the size I want I won't go up a size, I just won't buy them either.

Jeeze, one person misreads what I say and everyone jumps on that bandwagon. Talk about actin all grades school.

I understood what you meant but I do think it's a little silly. And women who think like that are the reason we have vanity sizing and it's impossible to shop online and have any clue whether the clothes will fit when they arrive. So there's that...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    With the inconsistency in women's clothing sizes, who cares? I have 18s, 16s, and 14s in my closet that all fit well and make me look smashing. Wear what looks good on you. And if the number of the tag bothers you, cut it out. (Just check the washing instructions first...)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand why it's silly to wish for all pant sizes to fit us the same? I got one pair of 5/6 that fit perfect, a pair of 7/8's that fit perfect another pair of 7/8's that fit but are to loose, and a pair of 11's that fit just as good as the 5/6's it doesn't make sense to me why I am wearing 11's that fit like 5/6's? That's a bit extreme, wouldn't you think? My waste is a 32, so I totally understand the OP's point. It makes it hard to tell someone "I'm in a 5/6" and they go buy you a gift of a pair of jeans you been wanting, and find out that the 5/6 are to small because they are made different. Nothing silly about wanting the same size in your pants.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ....I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
    She's just shopping her preferred size. Which is supporting all the companies going crazy with vanity sizing, but who really cares?

She's not saying, "I'm going to squeeze my *kitten* into these tight jeans". She's saying, "I'm only going to buy from companies that size the way I like it".
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Like when I am going jean/pant shopping, no matter what size I am at the time I will refuse to even try on anything in a larger size than the smallest I know I can fit into. Like right now I know I can squeeze into *some* 4s and 5s so no matter how much I like the style of the jean if they don't fit me at that size I won't try the next size up.

-A guy won't give a rip.
    -A girl won't see it, but if you look awesome in a size bigger, all she'll know is you look awesome.

EXACTLY! If you look good, you look good.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

-A guy won't give a rip.

I'm speaking for myself on this one. But for me it's nothing about a guy. It's all about having something to brag about, seeing my work pay off, buying a pair of jeans I like in the smallest size I know I've been able to fit in. I don't always buy the smaller size, but what's wrong with wanting all my pants to be the same size? I personally love clothes, and when it comes to Christmas and birthday, people ask me what to get me, and I tell them clothes, but they don't get me clothes because right now the main thing I need is pants, how can they get me pants and expect them to fit me if I tell them "I'm in a 5/6" and I put those 5/6's on and I needed a 7/8 in them? It makes gift shopping hard. Why must designers scale down their clothes or scale them up? Why can't a 5/6 be a 5/6?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options

I have yet to hear of a guy that got a girl out of her pants, saw the tag, and said "Damn, guuuurrrrlll, nevermind. You're a size 6 instead of a 5. You had me fooled!" and walked out.
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Really, designers these days would be smart to make 10's a size 6 and Size 6 a 2...more women would buy them, but they'd still be a 10 or a 6. And don't even get me started if a designer made plus sizes into single digits. I don't look at a scale - I look at the size, and maybe that's wrong, but the scale may say you're 165 and you're still a size 8 - it depends on your body shape more than weight, and we all carry weight differently.

For the girls who won't buy larger and are still squeezing into those single digits when you're not - you do yourself a disservice, because you actually look bigger when you have that muffin top in a size 6. I see girls all the time who are slim and have great bodies, but their clothes are WAYYYYYYYYYY too tight, and they look bigger. Not attractive.

Just an observation.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I honestly think the problem is that you don't understand how sizing works. But if you prefer to limit yourself that way and not be able to buy what you want, by all means carry on.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    Really, designers these days would be smart to make 10's a size 6 and Size 6 a 2...more women would buy them, but they'd still be a 10 or a 6. And don't even get me started if a designer made plus sizes into single digits. I don't look at a scale - I look at the size, and maybe that's wrong, but the scale may say you're 165 and you're still a size 8 - it depends on your body shape more than weight, and we all carry weight differently.

For the girls who won't buy larger and are still squeezing into those single digits when you're not - you do yourself a disservice, because you actually look bigger when you have that muffin top in a size 6. I see girls all the time who are slim and have great bodies, but their clothes are WAYYYYYYYYYY too tight, and they look bigger. Not attractive.

Just an observation.

I believe the OP didn't mean she squeezes in to a 4 when she's a 10, I believe she meant she shops for a 4 that fits her. I only buy clothes that fit me, but I try to find a store that sales 5/6's that fit me. Rue 21, I can wear all their jeans in a 5/6 and if I go bigger they're too big.

5l5ill.jpg

Rue 21's dressing room, 5/6 jeans. Maybe either I'm misunderstanding what the big deal is about wanting to shop at a store that sales clothes that fit me in a size smaller then another store fits me. Or I'm totally misunderstanding the point to this thread.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    The problem with it is that you could see clothes that you really really like, and they fit you and look great on you, but you can't have them because that manufacturer doesn't put the right number on the tag. It's your choice, but I think it's really stupid. You aren't getting ANY benefit from this.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Well a modified, yes (on both questions)... Now in your case, you are a size 4 or 5... Size 6 really is not too bad... Nothing at all wrong with a size 6. Personally I wear 3 sizes of shoes... It depends on the style.. A US 11, 11.5, and 12. Usually I wear a "WIDE" because I like room for my toes to spread a bit... TMI, I know. Style means a lot. Buy what looks good...

Now for the other side of the coin. At one time, I REFUSED to buy a size 50 pant... I would not do it... Crossing over into that "5*" was not what I was willing to do.. That being said, I actually WAS a "roomy 48" and I found styles that would allow me to stay in the 40s. Then, I began to do something about that situation... I am currently a roomy 44 and quickly approaching a standard 44. When I am disatisfied with the waist size, the thing that I am most likely to do is CHANGE THE WAIST SIZE... That being said, at the lower numbers, If you are satisfied with your body image... buy the bigger size and enjoy. Take a "sharpy" pen and change the number if you must... Because you know you would fit into a size 4 or 5 in a different style...

In the end, just be you. If you don't like your size... change YOUR size... But if you are a certain size... wear what looks good... Don't just peel yourself into something that does not flatter you.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    The problem with it is that you could see clothes that you really really like, and they fit you and look great on you, but you can't have them because that manufacturer doesn't put the right number on the tag. It's your choice, but I think it's really stupid. You aren't getting ANY benefit from this.

I never said that I don't buy them a size bigger, I did say that I have 11's that still fit me and 7/8's that fit me. I just rather all my jeans fit the same. I see where the OP is coming from, I don't understand why all manufacturer's can't have the same sizes, it makes it hard to gift shop for clothes.

I'm a lot more relaxed on it now that most stores I can wear either a 5/6 or 7/8. But when I was a size 18 and should have been a size 20, I refused to buy a 20 I bought 1 pair of 20's and I refused to ever do that again. I refused to admit that I was that big. It was a mind game for me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Case in point. I wear between a 44 loose fit (comfortably) and 46 standard (getting loose all over) pant... yet the tape measure says my waist is 48" (not just my measure... was taken as that @ YMCA as well last week and a 4" improvement over the past couple of months)... The point is? Pants that say 44... are not 44 inch waist... They are probably about a 48" real size. Manufacturers I think ARE adjusting to America's obesity problem... But the issue then becomes that a foot does not become a yard just because you measure with a ruler rather than a yardstick... Truth is truth. Wear what is comfortable and looks good (especially with lower numbers like 4 - 5 - and 6... They are really pretty fluid.and meant to flatter. I suppose that would explain why I USED to wear a 48 @ 293 lbs but now wear a 44....