Army servicemen/women...

Options
I need some honest opinions. My son (17 will be 18 next mont) is going to be a Senior in high school this coming year. He has wanted to be an engineer since he was 6. He comes to me a couple of weeks ago saying he is thinking about joining the Army. I ask him why and he says for the college money. He is a straight A student and in honors. We visited Purdue in April and he said he wanted to go there ($20,000+ per year). With his grades I am pretty sure he could get some scholarships and I would find a way to help pay. Anyway, he met with a recruiter and he gave him the advantages to joining. He also told him he would not let him sign until he met with me (which I really appreciated). I met with the recruiter today and it sounds a little too good to be true. What I need is some opinions from real service people who are in it and not a recruiter. I will support him in whatever he choses to do, but I want to make sure he is doing it for the right reasons and that the stuff they are telling him isn't bull. He told the recruiter he has been thinking about this for about a year but didn't want to tell me because he thought I would freak (which I am nervous but didn't freak exactly). Help here please!!!

Thanks

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    message xsargex he's in the Army and can give you some great advice.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did 4 years US Army and over 10 USMC
    What specific questions do you have?
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    They are just making it sound like he will be able to get money for college and get pretty much whatever job there he wants and all these things are paid for, etc. I just want to know your opinions about your experience. Was what they told you true? Obviously benw you enjoyed it somewhat or you wouldn't have been there so long but were you glad you did it and was it what you thought it would be? I know I am just being a mom here but with everything going on right now, I am just scared.
  • benw
    Options
    When your son takes the asvab test a higher score makes him qualified for more technical jobs. I dont know what the bonus plans are now or school benifits but they will be put in the contract and will be honored.

Now do keep in mind that at the bottom of the contract there is the catch all that says in short says the needs of the Army can override the contract. This is usually in time of war. This is way you may here of some soilders being kept in past there contract.

I enjoyed it.

Can your son do what he is told?
    Will he mind travel to far off lands?
    Very little sleep?
    Is he in good shape?

He will learn so much.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    When your son takes the asvab test a higher score makes him qualified for more technical jobs. I dont know what the bonus plans are now or school benifits but they will be put in the contract and will be honored.

Now do keep in mind that at the bottom of the contract there is the catch all that says in short says the needs of the Army can override the contract. This is usually in time of war. This is way you may here of some soilders being kept in past there contract.

I enjoyed it.

Can your son do what he is told?
    Will he mind travel to far off lands?
    Very little sleep?
    Is he in good shape?

He will learn so much.

He is taking the asvab test right now. He is an A student and in Honors and a very good kid.

The recruiter was honest about the war thing and said he had been there but he was in supplies and most of the people who do the shooting and stuff are the ones that sign up for that. I know there is no way to promise he won't go to Iraq or somewhere.

He is pretty much does what he is told but he is 17 and thinks he knows everything. I always hear what a hard worker he is from his boss and other people but I personally don't see it (chores and such ):laugh: He is respectful. I think the travel interests him (getting away from home is something I want to do sometimes). He is kinda crabby when he doesn't get a lot of sleep but I think he could get over that. He is very athletic (runs track and plays soccer). He goes to high school and works a minimum of 4 days a week after school and on weekends. I think he will do okay and will probably love it but I am not sure about me:sad:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    tell your son that if he wants to do a specific job in the military (obviously he has to have the test scores to qualify), to tell the recruiter that this is the job I want, I will wait for it to come available and don't call me if it doesn't. That is what I did and I got what I wanted. Don't want him to get stuck in a job he would hate just for his GI bill (college money).
  • heidihunter
    heidihunter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the (civil) engineering career field in the Air Force, and while I love the military as it has enabled me to get my degreeand travel the world :-) He should check into some other options first, though. The Army is hurting for people so bad right now the recruiter is going to tell your son whatever he wants to hear. First, I would tell him to find out what the deployment ratio is for that career field - 12 month deployments and weeks possibly months in the field training to deploy will not allow him to go to school while in the army. Every branch has a separate engineering career field, and I would suggest that he take a look at what each one of them has to offer, because they all offer educational benefits. The Army likes to offer high dollar figures for school, but there are rules about how much money you are given at a time. I used Active Duty tuition assistance and opted for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, which got me my bachelors, and is more than enough to get my Masters.

Does he plan on going active duty or guard/reserve? I would recommend going ROTC and get the college out of the way then go in to be an officer.

I am biased, but I would also recommend the Air Force. They for the most part give the same educational benefits and also treat their people better.

Whatever he chooses, please keep in mind that if it is to good to be true and it meets your every dream, it IS too good to be true. When he does sign the papers, MAKE SURE he has a GUARANTEED job!! Don't let them snow him and say "Well, if you opt for a mechanically inclined field, you will probably get your choice later in basic training..." That is crap. They will shove him into a career field where he doesn't want to be wherever they are hurting the most for people. The only reason the recruiter told him to talk with you about it is because he couldn't legally sign the paperwork until he is 18. I can't tell you how many horror stories from people who enlisted "open general" or "open mechanical" and are now just fueling up air planes, cleaning out the refuse tanks in them, etc.

I would recommend him finding someone in the Army who has that job and talking to them first, and also waiting until he graduates to sign the papers. I also opted to go to basic training the fall after I graduated high school so that my last summer responsibility "free" as a kid. Don't let them "push" him in as soon as he graduates. Make them follow your requirements, not theirs, because there is ALWAYS a compromise.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, military people get a lot of money and waivers for their college education. I have quite a few uncles and cousins who did a term before college. And because he wants to be an engineer, he'll likely get a lot of experience that can be applied towards college.

Have him check out the engineering opportunities among the other brances before letting him decide, though. They might be different and some branches might have more opportunities than others.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I was in high school, I had straight A's--I was Salutatorian of my graduating class (#2, missed #1 by a tad, but not much! :smile: ). Anyway, I checked with an Army recruiter at the time so I could get money for college (folks couldn't afford anything and neither could I). I was basically offered tank driver (keep in mind that this was about 20 years ago). So I checked out the Navy recruiter. In both cases, I was thinking about the Reserves, not Active Duty. When I was talking with the Navy recruiter, something inside clicked and I decided that Active Duty Enlisted Navy was for me. The recruiter showed me many job classes and I wanted something in Aviation Electronics. I tested very high in the ASVAB and if I'd been born a male, I could have done anything. However, as a female, I couldn't be in the "Nuke" rating. That was okay with me because I definitely qualified for Aviation Electronics.

I ran cross country in high school, so I was somewhat athletic.

I can understand your son's way of thinking here. I could have gone straight to college and probably been okay with scholarships and whatnot. However, I needed a break from all that thinking! I'm sure that I would have had a complete nervous breakdown had I continued on in school. And I got such a break in the Navy. It really widened my horizons and matured me in a manner that college never could have done. Plus I developed a great bond with some people that I will always consider almost closer than family.

I served for 6 years and then went on to pursue an undergraduate degree in physics followed by a master's degree in medical physics. I currently work in Radiation Oncology, where we treat patients with cancer and I definitely feel like I make a positive contribution to society.

I would NEVER change the experience that the Navy has given me. In fact, I think that most (if not all) young folks can benefit from some form of service to their country (be it military or a civilian conservation corps-type system) between high school and college.

As far as higher education benefits goes, there are A LOT! I think that there are some bills being discussed in Congress right now that increase GI Bill benefits--check those out online. There are also benefits other than the ones offered by the military. Check out financial aid applications for colleges. When I was fresh out of the Navy and going to college, military veterans are considered independent (in other words, parental income is not considered in financial aid planning).

My only advice to your son would be to check out the other branches of service as well as the Army. He may find some job classifications that are more to his liking than what the Army offers. As heidihunter has stated, there is an engineering field in the Air Force. The Navy also has engineering options (think SeaBees--although they are combat battalions).

I also agree with heidihunter when she talks about things that are too good to be true. Anything that is offered to your son should be IN WRITING. If it is not IN WRITING, it does not exist, as far as the military is concerned.

I hope this helps!!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • angievill
    angievill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I served 3 years in the Army, and I am now using my GI Bill. It's great! I join right after high school instead of going to college.

My advice is to have your son go online and read about different MOS. If he's going to be waking up everyday to go do PT at 0530 and don't get off until 5, it's might as well be something he enjoys doing.

I think it was easier for me, then it was for my parents. Everytime I would go visit my parents, it was hard for them to see me leave again. Now being a mother, I understand their pain. They never got used to it. My husband been in now for almost 5 years and it's not easier for his parents. It's hard being away from family but it's also nice learning things on your own and growing up.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    I'm a retired Army enlisted spouse who worked as head secretary of a large high school with a JROTC program for 12 years. Here's my take.....

If he's interested in engineering, have him check out ROTC options. I checked Purdue's website; they have Army, Air Force and Navy. He needs to check out all three programs and see what they can offer him. He doesn't have to commit to a commission (become an officer after graduation) for at least a year after he starts college; may be at the end of sophomore year.

If he's just talking about enlisting for the college money- I would encourage him to go the ROTC route. Officers in the armed forces today have many more advantages than enlisted. The Army is hurting big time for recruits, and, unfortunately, there are too many recruiters who will tell you anything to get you to enlist and he could end up doing a job he HATES and spend most of his time in the field training or deployed.

Don't get me wrong - the military life has been very good to us, but there are definite disadvantages in today's world if you're not doing the job you really want to do. And, yes, he will definitely face the probability of deployment oversees to Iraq or Afghanistan, so he needs to make sure he can handle serving his country in that way. Too many recruits think they're just enlisting for the college money and can't handle it when they have to do their "real" job and carry a rifle, but remember, the PURPOSE of the military is to defend our awesome country!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Nephew in Afghanistan right now. What they told him he'd be doing and what he's doing are two very different things, even if it's in "writing", there's always a clause...

Hubby is a former Marine. His advice - not Army. Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army in that order. He calls the Army "cannon fodder", i.e. they sign up tons of kids... I don't mean any disrespect to anyone in the Army by saying that, it's an honorable thing, but when you're talking about your kid living thru a war - well, better ratio in Air Force, then Navy, then Marines, Army last.... Benefits are same or better. And the food is best in Air Force.. They got steak when hubby got MREs.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    My grandfather was in the Army ... he advised his children and grandchildren to join the Air Force :laugh: ... I don't know exactly what he told them, but they all joined the Air Force.
  • benw
    Options
    You have received a lot of good information from a lot of people that have experience with this. The monetary benefits are the same with all branches of the military. It comes down to a choice of lifestyles. Air Force generally treats its people well. In the Navy, he could be living on a ship for long periods of time. The Army and the Marine Corps could have you sitting in a pile of sand for long periods of time.

He needs to decide if he wants to go the officer or the enlisted route. Each has its benefits and again it is all personal preference.

It may be best if he does some research into the different branches and what ROTC can offer him. This is a huge commitment to make and he may as well make an educated choice instead of jumping at the first offer.

My step son is in the Reserves in Canada. It is different than the Reserves in the US as they still have the choice to go overseas after they have signed up. They get education assitance here as well.

If the choice is being made solely because of the education assistance, he needs to remember that a member of the military is there to serve their country. The paid education is a perk. The commitment is putting your life on the line for your country. I respect each and every soldier that has made that choice for the right reasons and fully support them in their service.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input, I feel much better now. I will have him speak to the recruiters from other branches of the service and do some research. He says he doesn't want to go only for the education but when I ask him he can't give me another reason.

In the end, he will do what he wants no matter what I think (only I hope what I think matters) but I will see if I can get him to research (and I will do some myself) and talk to others before he commits. He will be home soon from the testing and I will talk to him more then.
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention it, maybe I missed it, but the Coast Guard is also a good option. my husband has been in for 16 years and he used to be a recruiter. Almost all the duty stations are here in the states (there are a couple overseas, but there is a process and he must volunteer to go over there). The CG has all the same benefits, pay and college GI Bills as all the other services. I highly recommend he look into that one too. Message me if you need more info, my husband just helped one of our other friends sons with the process. He ships out June 22! Good luck with the decision! :smile:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input, I feel much better now. I will have him speak to the recruiters from other branches of the service and do some research. He says he doesn't want to go only for the education but when I ask him he can't give me another reason.

In the end, he will do what he wants no matter what I think (only I hope what I think matters) but I will see if I can get him to research (and I will do some myself) and talk to others before he commits. He will be home soon from the testing and I will talk to him more then.

I don't know what your background and beliefs are, but he may want to serve his country and he just hasn't been able to put that into words for you. If you're not around a lot of military, it may have never crossed your mind that he'd want to serve, but there's nothing more honorable as a profession. Our youngest daughter is still contemplating serving after she gets her bachelors in Nutrition and Kinesiology.

Listen to what he has to say........ I'm sure he'll make good choices.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    My son just got home from his asvab and scored an 87. Apparently that is pretty good. I talked to him about talking to the other branches besides Army and he said the Marine recruiter approached hm also at the testing and he is going to go see him Friday. He promised to research and keep me in the loop before he does anything. Thanks for the help
  • heidihunter
    heidihunter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What type of engineering is he interested in?
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    What type of engineering is he interested in?

Civil