Army servicemen/women...

Options
2»

Replies

• heidihunter
    heidihunter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have him research 3E5X1 for Air Force AFSC (or job type code). All branches have a slight deviation of this career field. I am in this career field and would be fine answering any questions he has, even if they p[ertain to the other branches, since we all do the initial training in Missourri at Ft. Leonard Wood.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have him research 3E5X1 for Air Force AFSC (or job type code). All branches have a slight deviation of this career field. I am in this career field and would be fine answering any questions he has, even if they p[ertain to the other branches, since we all do the initial training in Missourri at Ft. Leonard Wood.

Thanks....I have him look into that. He is meeting with the Marines tomorrow and he said he wants to check out the Air Force and Coast Guard too.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I was in the Navy for 4 years, and have been a navy wife for 7+.
    I got over 30,000 for college, and If I wanted to go to college while I was in they would help with that. There are some very good advantages to going into the military. It all depends on what you want out of it. I had a boyfriend that joined the Air force to "see the world" well he saw 7 straight years of McGuire afb in Jersey.
    I joined because, I didn't have above average grades, the town I came from was population 2000
    (if you stayed there you would have kids just by drinking the water)
    But i traveled, I met neat people, I picked where I wanted to work (different story there, it took years to do it) and I have a very good life because of that decision.
    Now I am almost 27 and would never regret it! I do with taht i finished school before I had kids, but that was not due to the military,and is a learning lesson that I have to face:)
    Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • jamieraegem
    Options
    My cousin and I are very close and he is serving in Afghanistan right now with the Army. He is a bit older and really decided that it was his best option to better his life. It was a great experience for him before he left, but has become very difficult for him now that he is serving overseas. He sees a lot of horrible things and it is having a bad effect on him. The one thing he SEVERLY dislikes is having no control over his life.
    If your son wants to join the Army they will help him with money and college HOWEVER there is no guarentee he won't be serving in a war-torn zone. And once you enlist (especially during a war time) you have no rights over what you do, if the Army says go then you go. So unless he is willing to serve in the Middle East, I would not enlist. (just my personal opinion)

I have friends in the Navy and they love it! (they joined the submarine service so they would not have to serve in the Middle East). My dad also was in the submarine service and he loved it. He now works as an engineer and has patents out on his own machinery without ever going to college. He learned everything through his experience as a seaman!
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    My cousin and I are very close and he is serving in Afghanistan right now with the Army. He is a bit older and really decided that it was his best option to better his life. It was a great experience for him before he left, but has become very difficult for him now that he is serving overseas. He sees a lot of horrible things and it is having a bad effect on him. The one thing he SEVERLY dislikes is having no control over his life.
    If your son wants to join the Army they will help him with money and college HOWEVER there is no guarentee he won't be serving in a war-torn zone. And once you enlist (especially during a war time) you have no rights over what you do, if the Army says go then you go. So unless he is willing to serve in the Middle East, I would not enlist. (just my personal opinion)

I have friends in the Navy and they love it! (they joined the submarine service so they would not have to serve in the Middle East). My dad also was in the submarine service and he loved it. He now works as an engineer and has patents out on his own machinery without ever going to college. He learned everything through his experience as a seaman!

No disrepect to the Army but that is not my first choice for him if he decides to go. The recruiter was trying a little too hard for my taste. He told me he was in Iraq but he didnt' mind, COME ON!! He was in supplies and didn't do any shooting or anything but said it was 140 degrees there and he didn't mind.

I am going to also meet with the recruiters after he does by myself and ask some questions that will probably embarrass him because I won't hold back and get right to the point.

In the end he will do whatever he wants and I will be supportive but hope he will REALLY think this through. It is a HUGE committment.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    My fiance is currently deployed... but he and I both agree on this point (and I really impress it to my students). Also, my fiance is currently doing a job that he was not initially trained for.... doesn't matter what is on the paper at times.

Don't join the military just for college/money.
    It's a perk, not a good reason.
    If someone wants to join it really needs to be because they want to serve and protect their country.
    It needs to be because they are willing to die for their country, cause like it or not.... currently, it is a reality.

My brother is a Army Captain, my cousin a former Marine, my future brother-in-laws.... Army, Marine(s)... plus a bunch of friends in the military. The worst thing to hear, is them complaining because they signed up for something for the wrong purpose.

I definately suggest deep research and contemplation on life goals. They will be impacted by this choice.

:flowerforyou:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    Options
    My fiance is currently deployed... but he and I both agree on this point (and I really impress it to my students).

Don't join the military just for college/money.
    It's a perk, not a good reason.
    If someone wants to join it really needs to be because they want to serve and protect their country.
    It needs to be because they are willing to die for their country, cause like it or not.... currently, it is a reality.

My brother is a Army Captain, my cousin a former Marine, my future brother-in-laws.... Army, Marine(s)... plus a bunch of friends in the military. The worst thing to hear, is them complaining because they signed up for something for the wrong purpose.

I definately suggest deep research and contemplation on life goals. They will be impacted by this choice.

:flowerforyou:

a lot of people in the service complain because it is less then they expect.....well welcome to life...people complain about a lot of things..... everyone in the world complains about their job
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options

a lot of people in the service complain because it is less then they expect.....well welcome to life...people complain about a lot of things..... everyone in the world complains about their job

You're right a lot of people do complain about their jobs... which makes the military no different.
    If people actually look into things more maybe they'd be more content in what they've chosen, no matter what the choice is for.
    A recruiters job is to recruit, the more prepared one is to deal with them, the more you get out of the experience. Instead of being thrown off by things like, "pay for college".... "bonuses" ..... actually going in with some of that information under your belt and a list of serious questions.
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    Options
    I think joining the military is very patriotic, if your in it for the right reasons.
    It is good to sit down and talk to the recruiters but the college money is a big inticing deal
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    I think joining the military is very patriotic, if your in it for the right reasons.
    It is good to sit down and talk to the recruiters but the college money is a big inticing deal

Thing is the kid is brilliant. He gets such good grades and his test scores are over the top. He was tested at college level math when he was in 9th grade. I think he could easily get some scholarships. His dad is constantly putting it into his head how much things cost (we won't go there cuz he smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day and is an alcoholic who drinks minimum of 2-3 cases of beer a week) and I think my son thinks that is the only way we can afford to send him. My husband makes good money but likes to complain about not having any. I would work 5 jobs to make extra money for his college if he wanted to go without going into the military. I made him promise he wouldn't do anything until we have exhausted all means for him to go to college. We start applying for scholarships and grants soon so hopefully that will help.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Update....He met with the Marine recruiter and has decided to go that route for sure. He is going to Indy on Thursday next week for his MEPS.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband was in the Marine Corps for 10 years and I'm sure you have heard the saying " once a Marine, always a Marine". It is so true, but that is a good thing. The Marine Corps instills a lot of good qualities in their men and women.

It is hard as a mother to see your child make that choice in these days of uncertainty. I know when my son joined the Reserves here in Canada, I quizzed them for quite a while about what he could expect. He was only 16 at the time. Be proud of him, he is doing an honorable thing.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Update....He met with the Marine recruiter and has decided to go that route for sure. He is going to Indy on Thursday next week for his MEPS.

Have you talked to him about the fact that enlisting isn't just for the college money, but that he is making a committment to be at Uncle Sam's beck and call for a certain number of years with almost no control over his life? Make sure he understands EXACTLY that......Marines deploy almost as often as Army, but the deployments are usually not as long (no apologies... my hubby's retired Army, so I know what really happens).

Once he raises his right hand and says "I do solemnly swear to defend......" he has to be ready to
    1. grow up very quickly
    2. undergo rigorous training that will leave him in the best physical shape of his life
    3. be ready to go anywhere in the world at as little as 1 hour notice
    4. stay there for as long as necessary, oftentimes not being able to tell loved ones where he is and what he's doing, or how long he'll be there
    5. defend his country and carry out his mission, which may or may not involve firing weapons at other humans,
    6. Be proud that he is serving his country and making a difference!!

I just hope he understands exactly what he is potentially in for, especially with the world situation the way it is now and is likely to stay that way for some time. Over the years my husband was active duty, we both saw WAY too many young soldiers who couldn't handle it when the going got tough and whined that they didn't join the Army to spend months and months training/deployed in harsh conditions, they just joined for the college benefits. That is NOT what the Army, Air Force, Navy or Marines are for......... college funds are just a perk that doesn't come without a lot of sacrifice and hard work.
    There are just too many people out there who join the military for the wrong reasons.......and they put every single person who joined for the right reasons at risk, every day.

I have no doubts that you've raised him right and he'll make good decisions.
    Good luck - keep us posted as the journey progresses.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • naugustyniak
    Options

Have you talked to him about the fact that enlisting isn't just for the college money, but that he is making a committment to be at Uncle Sam's beck and call for a certain number of years with almost no control over his life? Make sure he understands EXACTLY that......Marines deploy almost as often as Army, but the deployments are usually not as long (no apologies... my hubby's retired Army, so I know what really happens).

Once he raises his right hand and says "I do solemnly swear to defend......" he has to be ready to
    1. grow up very quickly
    2. undergo rigorous training that will leave him in the best physical shape of his life
    3. be ready to go anywhere in the world at as little as 1 hour notice
    4. stay there for as long as necessary, oftentimes not being able to tell loved ones where he is and what he's doing, or how long he'll be there
    5. defend his country and carry out his mission, which may or may not involve firing weapons at other humans,
    6. Be proud that he is serving his country and making a difference!!

I just hope he understands exactly what he is potentially in for, especially with the world situation the way it is now and is likely to stay that way for some time. Over the years my husband was active duty, we both saw WAY too many young soldiers who couldn't handle it when the going got tough and whined that they didn't join the Army to spend months and months training/deployed in harsh conditions, they just joined for the college benefits. That is NOT what the Army, Air Force, Navy or Marines are for......... college funds are just a perk that doesn't come without a lot of sacrifice and hard work.
    There are just too many people out there who join the military for the wrong reasons.......and they put every single person who joined for the right reasons at risk, every day.

I have no doubts that you've raised him right and he'll make good decisions.
    Good luck - keep us posted as the journey progresses.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Not only have I talked to him about what to expect and why he is doing it but his Marines recruiter has also...no crap and the facts. He knows what he is in for and what is expected of him. All I can do is support him and pray for the best.
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Sounds like he actually found a good recruiter who isn't worried about his quota numbers.