Always over fat intake but under cals, does it matter?

Options
Natihilator
Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
So I've noticed this past month, I am always over on my fats, and usually under on my carb goals for the day. I set my macros to 40/30/30 for 1500-1600 calories, but I really struggle to eat more than 125g of carbs (limit is 150), and REALLY struggle to eat less than 50-60g of fat per day (which usually comes from peanut butter, cheese, meat, eggs and fats for cooking) I just can't bring myself to cook scrambled eggs or a piece of meat in chicken stock or water. I know that carbs are important, especially for weight training, so I don't want to go full-on atkins/paleo/primal. This is just how I eat intuitively.

So my question is, does it matter in terms of calorie intake and burns that I am over on my fats all the time, even when I'm under goal? Is this why my weight-loss has been at a crawling pace?

Replies

• Natihilator
    Options
    Also, my food diary is open. This past week was really bad and I was over cals almost every day, but I'm usually pretty good.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    If you want to change your body, you've got to do things you don't normally do.

From yesterday alone you'd save yourself 20+ g's of fat w/ no whipping cream or butter.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Ok that really doesnt help answer my question though...:huh:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok that really doesnt help answer my question though...:huh:

Fine. I figured you could figure it out.

Butter, whipping creme, fat levels high.... Your body needs some fat, yes. But I'd rather get that fat from steaks, chicken or nuts rather than butter.

Yes, it matters.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    There is a mantra, if it fits your macros.
    I'd try to stay as close to your fat as possible.

At the end of the day the caloric intake is what will affect weight loss.

If your goal is to be healthy, I'd suggest a look at where your fat comes from and maybe healthy substitutes.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • Natihilator
    Options
    There is a mantra, if it fits your macros.
    I'd try to stay as close to your fat as possible.

At the end of the day the caloric intake is what will affect weight loss.

If your goal is to be healthy, I'd suggest a look at where your fat comes from and maybe healthy substitutes.

Thanks, I guess I wasn't sure if I should fit the macros or the macros should fit me, if it's the same calorie intake at the end of the day.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I am always over in fats (I also set my diary to 40/30/30), and have been able to keep up an average of about a pound a week or so. I think overall calories are most important. Also getting enough protein and not too many carbs are alot more important.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter for weight loss, calories matter the most then protein intake
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mac and Neo....I needed to hear some possible answers for that question as well and your answers make a lot of sense to me...I will start to watch where my fat is coming from and see where I can make some cuts because there are some things that I could sacrifice.

Also, it might help sometimes to log the things you plan to eat in advance...that way you can see the fat count and maybe choose something else that might be healthier...if that makes any sense...Because sometimes I will log something just to see the calorie, fat, sugar consumption and then decide not to have it....
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Trans fat increases belly fat http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060612/eat-trans-fat-get-big-belly
    In the study, researchers fed 51 male vervet monkeys a western-style diet -- that is, 35% of their diet was fat. Half the monkeys got a lot of trans fat, totaling 8% of their diet. The other monkeys were fed unsaturated fats such as olive oil.

Both types of diets were calorie-controlled. In theory, the monkeys should not have gained weight.

But they did.

Over six years -- what would, in humans, be a 20-year span -- the monkeys who ate unsaturated fats upped their body weight by 1.8%.

Those fed trans fats packed on 7.2%. In humans, that would be enough weight gain to significantly increase risk of diabetes and heart disease.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think being over on fat does matter. I still eat all the things you do but don't use the oil, butter etc. First thing is to buy yourself a good none stick pan! This will make life so much easier for you. If your in the UK you can get fry light, its a 1 calorie spray oil. For eggs you will need 10 sprays max (I've even cooked with none in a good pan) it will only be 10 cals and 1g of fat. I also use this on popcorn 20 sprays, then sprinkle salt on or sugar and cinnamon. Really cuts down calories. In america I hear its called Pam. If your in america they also have low cal sprays for butter. Also when you have a burger with mayonnaise you could swap to a nice tomato based sauce. I like sweet chilli sauce. I think you should fit the macros, not the otherw way around. Also 40, 30, 30 are great macros if you stick to them! Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add if I'm cooking chicken I make a foil parcel with 1tbsp of salsa or marinade in, and cook it in the oven. It doesn't dry out at all and is low calorie. 35 mins on 200. X
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I think being over on fat does matter. I still eat all the things you do but don't use the oil, butter etc. First thing is to buy yourself a good none stick pan! This will make life so much easier for you. If your in the UK you can get fry light, its a 1 calorie spray oil. For eggs you will need 10 sprays max (I've even cooked with none in a good pan) it will only be 10 cals and 1g of fat. I also use this on popcorn 20 sprays, then sprinkle salt on or sugar and cinnamon. Really cuts down calories. In america I hear its called Pam. If your in america they also have low cal sprays for butter. Also when you have a burger with mayonnaise you could swap to a nice tomato based sauce. I like sweet chilli sauce. I think you should fit the macros, not the otherw way around. Also 40, 30, 30 are great macros if you stick to them! Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. Pam sort of scares me and margarine is not an option because of how processed it is, but I will buy a spray pump and use it with olive oil. I know I need to cut out butter (I'm not the one in my household who buys it), but it's tempting to use when it's around. I use half-fat mayo and low-fat goat's cheese at home as well.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Ahem. ^^^
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options

Nonstick pans are bad if used with more that a low heat. They emit toxic chemicals that will kill your pet birds. I'd guess if it's bad for a bird, it's bad for me. Canary in the coal mine.

Unfortunately in America there are weird labeling rules for food. Pam and other cooking sprays are still oil. If used with a few sprays they help. Otherwise your are just spraying what you would have poured.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    This. That's why I love bacon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that it does matter!! I cook all of my meat in the grill or oven and if I can't then I fry it in lemon juice or broil it in water! If you flavour it then what is the diference!? I often go over my fat as well I have to say but it is mostly from meat, cheese (yes I eat full fat cheese) and other carbs and proteins! I just don't see the point in eating pure fat! If I need to fry I do use a smal amount of butter but that is normally quite rare. You get used to cooking this way! I hate food that is fried in oil now! I think it tastes greasy and nasty!! Give it a go for a month and then see how you feel! You lose nothing by trying new things but you may find something you love!!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree that it shouldn't matter for general weight loss. . For general health,though, it's probably a good idea to get more of a mix of saturated and unsaturated fats, instead of mostly saturated fats and to avoid trans fats entirely. You might also want to watch your sodium, especially if you're retaining any water or have a family or personal history of high blood pressure, since that's also consistently high.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Trans fat increases belly fat http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060612/eat-trans-fat-get-big-belly
    In the study, researchers fed 51 male vervet monkeys a western-style diet -- that is, 35% of their diet was fat. Half the monkeys got a lot of trans fat, totaling 8% of their diet. The other monkeys were fed unsaturated fats such as olive oil.

Both types of diets were calorie-controlled. In theory, the monkeys should not have gained weight.

But they did.

Over six years -- what would, in humans, be a 20-year span -- the monkeys who ate unsaturated fats upped their body weight by 1.8%.

Those fed trans fats packed on 7.2%. In humans, that would be enough weight gain to significantly increase risk of diabetes and heart disease.

From the article that you linked:
    Trans fats are found in vegetable shortenings, some kinds of margarine, and in manufactured baked goods such as cookies, crackers, and snack foods. A major source of trans fat in American diets is fast food fried in the stuff.

I don't eat any of that stuff.