Always over fat intake but under cals, does it matter?

Options
2»

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think being over on fat does matter. I still eat all the things you do but don't use the oil, butter etc. First thing is to buy yourself a good none stick pan! This will make life so much easier for you. If your in the UK you can get fry light, its a 1 calorie spray oil. For eggs you will need 10 sprays max (I've even cooked with none in a good pan) it will only be 10 cals and 1g of fat. I also use this on popcorn 20 sprays, then sprinkle salt on or sugar and cinnamon. Really cuts down calories. In america I hear its called Pam. If your in america they also have low cal sprays for butter. Also when you have a burger with mayonnaise you could swap to a nice tomato based sauce. I like sweet chilli sauce. I think you should fit the macros, not the otherw way around. Also 40, 30, 30 are great macros if you stick to them! Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. Pam sort of scares me and margarine is not an option because of how processed it is, but I will buy a spray pump and use it with olive oil. I know I need to cut out butter (I'm not the one in my household who buys it), but it's tempting to use when it's around. I use half-fat mayo and low-fat goat's cheese at home as well.

Why does it scare you? X
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You could eat McDonalds every day and still lose weight provided you were under your calorie intake.

However, if you want to improve your health then try to adjust your diet; eat less saturated fats, more lean meats and complex carbohydrates.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think you're probably fine. So many healthy cultures go pretty heavy in fats. I'd just cut out the butter because of the saturated fats and just do vegetable oils. Though, they even have new thoughts on sat fats and cholesterol, so I've no clue.

In fact, new studies every day suggest that no one has any clue and everything will contradict itself seven times over.

Personally, I wouldn't go over 35% because it would probably affect my other macros, which I do care about.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm.... interesting I wondered the same thing
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure this out too. I get between 30-34% of my calories from fat most of the time. Saturated fats from eggs or lowfat dairy. The rest of the fat is generally nuts, olive oil or avocado or fish (I am an addict) I go over all the time. Especially on days when I have eggs or double up on greek yogurt, I end up with more saturated fats.

I am generally in my calories.

I have seen a few studies here and there that Mediterraneans are up to 35% fat, and it was fine for heart health since most was from polyunsaturated oils.

I have been cutting down a bit on my cooking oils, and trying to use 1-2 teaspoons to cook with. (I do not like cooking sprays). I use my cast iron pan or a nonstick most of the time.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think being over on fat does matter. I still eat all the things you do but don't use the oil, butter etc. First thing is to buy yourself a good none stick pan! This will make life so much easier for you. If your in the UK you can get fry light, its a 1 calorie spray oil. For eggs you will need 10 sprays max (I've even cooked with none in a good pan) it will only be 10 cals and 1g of fat. I also use this on popcorn 20 sprays, then sprinkle salt on or sugar and cinnamon. Really cuts down calories. In america I hear its called Pam. If your in america they also have low cal sprays for butter. Also when you have a burger with mayonnaise you could swap to a nice tomato based sauce. I like sweet chilli sauce. I think you should fit the macros, not the otherw way around. Also 40, 30, 30 are great macros if you stick to them! Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. Pam sort of scares me and margarine is not an option because of how processed it is, but I will buy a spray pump and use it with olive oil. I know I need to cut out butter (I'm not the one in my household who buys it), but it's tempting to use when it's around. I use half-fat mayo and low-fat goat's cheese at home as well.

Why does it scare you? X

Pam ingredients: Canola oil, Grain alcohol from corn (added for clarity) Lecithin from soybeans, and propellant.

Well, I would rather have pure canola oil than an oil spray with all that other stuff. Plus, it's aerosol which is bad for the environment :flowerforyou:
  • jadedone
    Options

Why does it scare you? X

Lots of fake ingredients and chemicals with unknown long term consequences. For example, for generations we told everyone margarine was better than butter. Then they figured out trans fat was bad, and most margarines are full of trans fats.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options

Nonstick pans are bad if used with more that a low heat. They emit toxic chemicals that will kill your pet birds. I'd guess if it's bad for a bird, it's bad for me. Canary in the coal mine.

Unfortunately in America there are weird labeling rules for food. Pam and other cooking sprays are still oil. If used with a few sprays they help. Otherwise your are just spraying what you would have poured.

Use a low heat if it bothers you. I seriously feel that's scare mongering or they wouldn't be selling them in every store. Also you'd find it pretty hard to pour out 10 cals of oil. I find it an extremely helpful product! X
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Has anyone that switched to 40/30/30 had issues getting enough protein in? I tried switching with a calorie increase at the same time and it said I needed over 150g protein. I tried for a couple days and couldn't get anywhere near that number.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Agree with Niner!

...... and stop giving butter a bad rap people. If its grass fed organic, then it is a awesome source of fat IMO =D
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    Options

Why does it scare you? X

Lots of fake ingredients and chemicals with unknown long term consequences. For example, for generations we told everyone margarine was better than butter. Then they figured out trans fat was bad, and most margarines are full of trans fats.

But your using tiny amounts! I think people can get to over the top with worrying about every single thing in food. It all gets a little crazy! X
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    if you don't like pam use extra virgin olive oil i put some on a paper towel and wipe my pan with it works great and its really not enough to count plus its real healthy i ran out of pam ant started doing that and now i don't by pam . by the way yes fat dose matter if you get to little your body will shut down your your hair will fall out with a lot of nasty side effects if you eat to much it settles in areas you don't want and you could clog your arteries drop dead from a hart attack i try to watch how much i get and how little i get
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

Why does it scare you? X

But your using tiny amounts! I think people can get to over the top with worrying about every single thing in food. It all gets a little crazy! X

For me, if there is even a question about the safety of an ingredient, and I'm not going to miss that food or product if it's absent from my life, why even bother? Tiny amounts add up. It's a personal choice what you choose or choose not to put in your body, and after years of putting awful **** into my body, it gives me peace of mind to pay more attention to potentially hazardous stuff if I can consciously avoid it.
  • jadedone
    Options

Why does it scare you? X

For me, if there is even a question about the safety of an ingredient, and I'm not going to miss that food or product if it's absent from my life, why even bother? Tiny amounts add up. It's a personal choice what you choose or choose not to put in your body, and after years of putting awful **** into my body, it gives me peace of mind to pay more attention to potentially hazardous stuff if I can consciously avoid it.

Totally agree. And well butter (and olive oil and walnut oil) add more flavor too!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I think it depends on what your fats come from. If you eat lots of processed cookies and cakes and margarines, then your fats are mainly trans fats which I consider pretty evil.

If the fats are from fish, eggs, avocados, olive oil, cheese etc, then I wouldn't worry. Look how people in France eat - and when did you last see a fat French woman?

ETA I'd rather cook with olive oil than cooking sprays. Why use something with additives when olive oil is so good for you?