late night snacking

Options

Replies

• TheNewCrystal
    Options
    I think you can gather something positive from everyones entry but from my experience YOU have to find something that works for YOU! My bf suggested a low carb diet (43 carbs/day) and after about a month of doing that I didnt feel good, I felt weak, and honestly didnt notice a change in my weight/inches. So I decided to try a diet low in calories. I have lost 26 pounds so far and I feel energized & stronger everyday. I do suffer from wanting to eat at night though, and I usually get a big glass of crystal light with lots of ice, after the drink is gone I eat the ice which I think tricks my brain into thinking Im eating something. The 1st week or so was the toughest though, I went through hunger pangs, migraines, muscle soreness, & exhaustion but after you make it through that period it gets easier & easier. I went from being able to do 0 situps to doing 10-20 crunches, to 10 sit ups... and now I can do as many sit ups as I want to. I did 60 yesterday! Good luck with your fitness plan, and just remember were all here for each other if youre feeling bad one day :)
  • verbalriot
    Options
    If I am snacking late at night, I always ask myself - why? Am I truly hungry? Or am I bored while watching TV and just need something else to do? First, identify the reason why you're actually snacking late at night.

It may be that you're not eating enough during the day or hitting your caloric limit for the day with the wrong foods. Are you eating enough fiber, lean protein, veggies and fruit throughout the day? Foods like chickpeas, broccoli, tofu and almonds, for instance, are low in cals but full of nutrition. The fiber and protein keep you feeling fuller longer. I would try to add more of such foods in your meals during the day.

Or tell yourself that if you snack at night, it has to come from your exercise calories. This can serve as motivation to push harder too =)

Do NOT skip breakfast. Studies show that people who eat breakfast tend to lose more weight than those who don't. Oatmeal & banana or yogurt & low sugar cereal will fill you up in the morning and jump start your day.
  • RosyEstrella
    Options
    I am the same way. I manage a light snack, but NEVER skip breakfast. A small meal before bed keeps my blood sugar in line. A stick of celery, a couple of stone wheat thins, a small bit of protein. I have a friend who has a small bowl of Cheerios with skim milk in the evening. If I count my calories carefully during the day, I have no problem saving enough for my nightime snack. Plan ahead though so you know what you can have, and don't fall in the trap of eating the closest thing at hand.
  • RosyEstrella
    Options
    This is helpful info - thanks!:smile:
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. Please stop with this. Weight loss comes down to caloric deficit.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Try to plan your day ahead and leave some calories for later in the evening.
  • emfross
    emfross Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I've decided to change my calorie allowance from 1350 to 1600 and change my goal weight. I need to lose about 73 pounds to get to my goal weight, so I've decided to make smaller goals. I think going to bed earlier and waking up earlier will help, too. I loved the healthy snack ideas! Another obstacle I'm facing is exercise. I know I need to work out, but I'm going to work on changing my eating habits first. I definitely agree that I'm probably going through withdrawals. I think I'll succeed at losing weight this time because of this website. Having people to talk to about my problems will really help.
  • skowalska
    skowalska Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    cucumbers!!!! you can eat a bunch and it has very very little calories

change the way you think- mind over matter!!!

stick to the 1200 limit, and stop eating at night. your body isnt active and isnt able to burn those calories so they will stick to you!! i did and seen results instantly...lost 10 pounds in less then a month

i have a 3 year old so i know allllll about late night snacking when he goes to bed lol

cucumbers helped big time

Ps: add me if you like, having friends that encourage and support you really help...i can use the support too! good luck
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    never skip breakfast

Why not?

Because eating first thing in the morning jump starts your metabolism!

Not true. I used to think it was to. Up your protein. I lost 50lbs being hungry. I'm now on high protein and 1400-1500 calories and I NEVER feel hungry! X
  • myak623
    Options
    cucumbers!!!! you can eat a bunch and it has very very little calories

change the way you think- mind over matter!!!

stick to the 1200 limit, and stop eating at night. your body isnt active and isnt able to burn those calories so they will stick to you!! i did and seen results instantly...lost 10 pounds in less then a month

i have a 3 year old so i know allllll about late night snacking when he goes to bed lol

cucumbers helped big time

Ps: add me if you like, having friends that encourage and support you really help...i can use the support too! good luck

Congratulations on losing the weight, but don't you think you lost it more from calorie deficit than from the timing of the calories? Metabolism doesn't stop at any point during the day or night.
  • skowalska
    Options
    my metabolism wasn't the greatest to begin with, i needed to get a grip on it and find some control over it.
  • becka0983
    Options
    Skipping breakfast messes up your metabolism. You should be eating every 2.5-3 hours... doesn't have to be huge meals... portion it out to stay within your calories for the day. :)
  • skowalska
    Options
    agreed!
  • becka0983
    Options
    Hello! My name is Elyse and I'm new to myfitnesspal. I've been trying to eat healthier and track my food the past two days. I've noticed that I don't have much trouble making healthy choices and staying within my calorie range during the day. However, after 9 p.m. I'm so hungry my head and stomach hurts. So, I make bad food choices. If you have any suggestions to avoid this, please let me know. Thank you!

Elyse, if you can... try to cut back on calories during the day so you can have a snack at night. I'm the same way... starving at night, but I don't "skip" meals. You should be eating every 2.5-3 hours, just choose lower calorie and filling "clean" foods to help you stay satisfied. My favourite post-workout/night snack is 1 tbsp organic peanut butter, apple, 1 dark dove chocolate square and a caffeine free herbal tea. Usually gets me through till morning... if not... I'll have another piece of fruit. I hope that helps!
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am just kinda freaking out because I clicked on your topic and you have the same name as me LOL...I was like ummmm...I didnt post this LOL
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Elyse and I'm new to myfitnesspal. I've been trying to eat healthier and track my food the past two days. I've noticed that I don't have much trouble making healthy choices and staying within my calorie range during the day. However, after 9 p.m. I'm so hungry my head and stomach hurts. So, I make bad food choices. If you have any suggestions to avoid this, please let me know. Thank you!
    Ps...this sounds exactly like me as well!!!
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    I'm a new member too and I'm working on the same problem. I get so hungry at night that I could literally eat anything in front of me! What has been working for me is drinking at least eight glasses of water throughout the day and going to bed one to two hours after my last healthy snack. Once in bed, I make sure I have plenty of water nearby and drink it when I crave for more snacks. Trying to train my mind that after my last healthy snack of the day, I only get two more choices which are SLEEP OR DRINK THE WATER.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think you can gather something positive from everyones entry but from my experience YOU have to find something that works for YOU!

Good advice.
  • myak623
    Options
    Skipping breakfast messes up your metabolism. You should be eating every 2.5-3 hours... doesn't have to be huge meals... portion it out to stay within your calories for the day. :)

No it does not. Please show me an actual scientific study to support your claim. I know there are several people out there that agree with this statement, but it simply isn't supported by science. There is nothing harmful that will come out of skipping breakfast and having your first meal at lunch.

Your metabolism will not slow down from lack of food within 12 to 16 hours. That usually takes 72 hours or so. I don't think anyone is suggesting waiting that long to eat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    never skip breakfast

Why not?

Because eating first thing in the morning jump starts your metabolism!
    No it doesn't. That's a old, old, myth. Your metabolism doesn't need to be "jumpstarted" because it never stops running.
  • mforbesrn
    mforbesrn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love sweets so my 9pm snack is a 40 calorie "Fudgsicle" (sugarfree). They are actually really good.