Need support and motivation after miscarriage

Options
Hi friends,
My husband and I just went through our 2nd miscarriage this week. I'm really struggling with this and need to get some motivation back. I'm currently 250 lbs. and 5'6". Although I'm being told that there is nothing I could have done about it, I'm still feeling very guilty. We lost both pregnancies at 8 weeks.

I can honestly say that I was getting my workouts in each week and really watching what I was eating. I logged every day and hadn't gained any weight yet, which was what the doctor had wanted for me. Part of me still feels like it was my weight... and now I am struggling because I want to stay on track and lose weight before we hopefully get pregnant again.

Is anyone else in a similar situation that can help with advice or support? I just feel so numb right now... and like my motivation is gone when it should be stronger than ever. :(

Replies

• nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    I have not been there and cannot offer any advice, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry!

I have friends who have been through it but never myself. I know nothing I can say will make this better but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    My husband and I just went through our 2nd miscarriage this week. I'm really struggling with this and need to get some motivation back.

Is anyone else in a similar situation that can help with advice or support? I just feel so numb right now... and like my motivation is gone when it should be stronger than ever. :(

Hi,

I haven't been in a similar situation, but your last sentence caught my attention 'cos I am guilty of trying to 'should' my feelings into submission. Let me tell you, it doesn't work!

I can totally understand you feeling numb, upset, shocked, angry, guilty and whatever else. You've had a sad, unexpected loss. Take time to grieve, look after yourself and your husband, reach out for (and accept) support from family and friends. Cut yourself a break for a just a bit before leaping into the next thing.

God bless you both!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't have a similar situation, but I just wanted to offer my support. I'm so sorry for your loss. :brokenheart:
  • burtg
    burtg Posts: 7
    Options
    We had the same thing. Nothing you could have done would have made a difference. You had nothing to do with what happened and it looks like your doctor agrees. This happened to some friend's of ours as well and they now have a six month old daughter. Don't let this grind you down.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss!! There's nothing like losing a baby...I know having gone through 2 @ 12 weeks and a stillborn son @ 39 weeks...do not blame yourself and just know that everything happens for a reason...when the time is right you will be hold a beautiful baby in your arms!! The first thing you have to do is relax :) Hugs to you!!!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've also had two miscarriages; one at 9 weeks (but the embryo was only 8 weeks when it stopped growing) and one at 13 weeks. The only thing I can say is time will heal it. In the meantime, focus on you. Make your body into a temple of sorts. Nourish it. Love it. Treat it like it's the only one you've got; because it is. Make it the perfect place for a 'lil bean to grow, and when it's time, it will. :)

Miscarriage is never your fault, although I am empathetic on that "I could have done something different..." feeling. The truth is, though, is that it just wasn't meant to be. It wasn't you. There was nothing you could have done. It was just nature saying it just wasn't time yet. :)

Hang in there. Take yoga or pilates or something to relax you. Read. Understand how truly awesome a thing your body is. Eat well, excercise moderately, love yourself and the rest will fall into place. :)
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. it is devestating. I had a misscarriage at 12 weeks with my first pregnancy. ITS NOT YOUR FAULT!! I know in your mind you will always have the what if', I went through a million, I went on a road trip, I jumped too hard, I did this, the list goes on and on but it wont change anything. DONT LOOSE HOPE! Stick to your plan becaue you and your future baby will be happier with a fit mama! I am sure it was not your weight. You are not extreemly overweight- my mom had me at 300 lbs and I was heavier when I got pregnant the seccond time than I was with my misscarriage. I know, it stinks. Its not fair. Thats what it feels like but there is hope. Pray!!! The creator is the one who gives and takes life. Talk to him, and stay on the path to getting healthier. YOU CAN DO IT! You CAN have a successful pregnancy! You CAN loose weight. You WILL be a great mom! ;) I know it feel like the end, but ITS NOT KEEP GOING!!!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    We had the same thing. Nothing you could have done would have made a difference. You had nothing to do with what happened and it looks like your doctor agrees. Don't let this grind you down.

I am really sorry for the emotional pain you are going through now. I know how hard that part of all losing a baby is. I now have two loving sons. God had a plan for my husband and me and you just half to believe He has one for you and your husband.

God Bless you both.:heart:
  • jat9277
    jat9277 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been through a similar experience and lost two pregnancies last year at weeks 7 and 6 respectively. I first took some time to allow myself to grieve. I then decided to take the last year to really focus on mental healing and then recovering physically by being active and eating in a healthy, balanced manner. I can attest to the difficulty of going through this- you go through a huge range of emotions and they come back when you least expect them to. My advice would be to: 1. believe that this is NOT your fault- some studies show up to 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriage (often women don't even know they were pregnant) for a huge array of reasons. 2. The time you spend now on allowing yourself to grieve and process these losses will go a long way in helping you recover mentally and physically. Remember to be good to yourself. 3. If and when you're ready to try again, you will hopefully already be in a healthy routine as a result of caring for yourself. This can only help you in a future pregnancy. I wish you all the best-
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    I've had a miscarrage at 12 weeks, after 5 years of infertility issues...I know exactly what you mean. The only advice I can offer you is don't beat yourself up over it, chances are it was a genetic issue and had absoloutely nothing to do with YOU or your body. That being said, I felt the same way after my miscarriage. I buckled down and lost over 40 lbs in 3 months, and then found out I was pregnant again! I had a healthy pregnancy and now a beautiful one year old girl. It WILL happen for you, I know it! Take your time getting pregnant again (of course consult your dr) and focus on you for awhile, talk it out with a close friend or someone who has been through this, or even me or someone on mfp! I know there are plenty of ppl here who are willing to just listen. It's hard, I know. But you will get through this! ((hugs)) I'll add you as a friend if that's ok!
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The immediate support on here is overwhelming... some of your posts bring tears to my eyes and let me know that I am not alone. I should mention that I have faith in God's plan and I know that this is all in His timing. It's the only thing getting us through this. This poem is something that I found online last night and I wanted to share it with all of you who have gone through a similar experience. Please feel free to add me so that we can support each other!

O precious, tiny sweet little one,
    you will always be to me
    so perfect, pure and innocent
    just as you were meant to be.
    We dreamed of you and of your
    life and all that it would be we
    waited and longed for you
    to come and join our family.
    We never had the chance to play
    to laugh, to rock, to wiggle
    we long to hold you, touch you
    and listen to you giggle.
    But now your're gone ...
    but yet you're here. You are
    our sorrow and our joy,
    there's love in ever tear.
    Just know our love goes deep
    and strong. We'll forget you never.
    The child we had, but never had,
    and yet will have forever.
  • skinny_buddha
    Options
    I just watched an episode of Dr. Oz it was the 400th episode and the woman on there had been going through the exact same thing. She turned to a few different foods that helped her drop 200 pounds in like 8 months and she was able to get pregnant and deliver. Anyway, I can't remember all of it but I remember her talking about a protein ice cream called arctic zero.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    The immediate support on here is overwhelming... some of your posts bring tears to my eyes and let me know that I am not alone. I should mention that I have faith in God's plan and I know that this is all in His timing. It's the only thing getting us through this. This poem is something that I found online last night and I wanted to share it with all of you who have gone through a similar experience. Please feel free to add me so that we can support each other!

O precious, tiny sweet little one,
    you will always be to me
    so perfect, pure and innocent
    just as you were meant to be.
    We dreamed of you and of your
    life and all that it would be we
    waited and longed for you
    to come and join our family.
    We never had the chance to play
    to laugh, to rock, to wiggle
    we long to hold you, touch you
    and listen to you giggle.
    But now your're gone ...
    but yet you're here. You are
    our sorrow and our joy,
    there's love in ever tear.
    Just know our love goes deep
    and strong. We'll forget you never.
    The child we had, but never had,
    and yet will have forever.

I'm so happy that you have faith to help you through this! He has a plan for you. And take comfort in knowing you will meet your babies someday, and that they are happy and perfect with our Savior in heaven. :smile:
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been through it too and thought nobody understood how I felt. Since all of those "You're better off this way" or "It was meant to happen" or "It's so common" statements just made me feel worse. The most important thing that helped me through it was to allow myself to grieve and do something to remember the baby by. I bought a necklace that I wore everyday for a long time as a reminder that helped me heal. I still have bad days and it's been over 5 years, but that's totally normal. Whatever you're feeling is ok to feel. Figure out what you want and I'm sure you'll see where you should go from here. Whether that's taking some time out to assess things or trying again when you get the chance. Good luck on building your family in the future!
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    In some people it is weight that is the issue. My friend from high school has this issue. She just had to have surgery to correct the way that her uterus was. It was shaped like a v instead of the normal shape. I lost a baby at 18 weeks. He is my little angel. I had previously had 3 healthy babies so I believe that my weight was my issue and stress. I also had my youngest at 24 weeks and almost lost her. My weight again was pretty high. I am still big but opted for a hysterectomy instead of dealing with anymore pregnancies or losses. I would encourage you to get as healthy as possible before trying again. Lose as much weight as you can and then let nature take its course. I will pray for some peace of mind that it is not your fault. I am sure that your body was not able to handle it right now.
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This was nothing you did that caused you to miscarry a 2nd time. It was just God's way even though we do not understand wny now. I have a friend who lost her first 2 pregnancies at 8wks like you, but then went on to have 3 healthy pregnancies. Please don't blame yourself. Just know that there are a lot of us praying for you during this difficult time.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about your loss , its not your fault so please dont blame yourself . i had my first son si x years ago and then had a mc at 12 weeks , i then had another son who is now two and then i thenmc at 10 weeks in Jan this year . its so hard and we think off its our fault but its not. things Will get better , time is a great healer even though we never forget. if you need a
    chat anytime feel free to message me x
    all we can do is look after ourselves and hope nature does the rest x
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for you loss, all I can say is let yourself go through whatever you need to and don't feel guilty, it's nothing you did or didn't do. Bigs hugs to you.
  • aaaaaamy
    aaaaaamy Posts: 24
    Options
    I have had two miscarriages, both times I was smack bang in the middle of the healthy BMI range. Of course, I found a thousand other ways to blame myself, but the fact of the matter is that we don't get to go back and see if we can change things by acting or being different so wondering is a waste of our limited emotional resources. Be gentle with yourself, give yourself time, and love, and nourishment of every kind. I told myself that my babies got sent to someone who needed them more, and somehow found comfort in that. Take comfort where you can find it, and know that you are not alone.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    They say that only 25% of all conceptions result in a healthy birth. 75% don't.

Statistically, nothing you did caused them. They just happened.

Very sorry for your loss. I know it still hurts.