People who take pictures of their food...

Options
124»

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, how funny my mom does it all the time on FB, I do it rarely if I'm eating something real yummy........so we can show off what we're eating or made......
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Because I love food.

To be fair, I do it mostly in my health and weight loss blog. My readers presumably have similar interests and showing them what i eat as part of my healthy diet is relevant.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have lots of friends who do this. I'm guilty of it myself from time to time.

I love food. I love cooking. I love photography.

Honestly, I don't understand how you 'don't get it'! LOL Beautifully presented food is gorgeous and is definitely something I appreciate looking at. Don't you have cookbooks with photos? Don't you ever read cooking magazines? I can't imagine NOT having skillful food photos to accompany recipes.

I mean, c'mon... if you like dark chocolate cheesecake, this is beautiful and appealing!

828669298_010f754653.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I can see why people do it. Sometimes I make something Im proud of but I have never thought to take a picture...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Because it is so pretty and amazingly delicious! If something is presented well - or my son or I make something yummy or different I'll take a photo!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    haha I'm so guilty of doing this!!
    cooking can be an accomplishment for me, so when i make something really good that's healthy too I like to share it, maybe motivate someone to try the recipe and convince them that not all healthy foods are gross like some might think. :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    In 2007 we bought our house and I knew I needed to expand my mind and talent being a yuppy couple that grew up with a SAHM that cooked for 18 yrs of my life. I calculated nutrition & WW pts and took a photo and if it was good, it went into my binder which was 99% of the recipes I made and now I have a binder of 120+ beautiful creations and an album on FB that makes my friends hungry. It's like people with food blogs, they want to share their successes & express their creativity.

It's a creative outlet for corporate professionals like myself that no longer gets to make stunning title pages and project boards like I did in school. In this past year alone I made a facinator for a shower (won a prize or best one out of 40+ guess), a diaper cake and a 30th bday photo collage that made the bday cry with sentimentality.

It's important to be well rounded.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Only when it's a really creatively decorated baked good or dessert does food look good in pictures. Usually it just looks gross.
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I know some people who post pictures of everything they eat on a blog- they say it pressures them into eating good just so they don't feel ashamed posting too many pictures of bad foods on a food blog. xD
    I've never done it!
  • bttfly87
    bttfly87 Posts: 8
    Options
    My guess is theyre starving and have nothing better to do/think about!!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have lots of friends who do this. I'm guilty of it myself from time to time.

I love food. I love cooking. I love photography.

Honestly, I don't understand how you 'don't get it'! LOL Beautifully presented food is gorgeous and is definitely something I appreciate looking at. Don't you have cookbooks with photos? Don't you ever read cooking magazines? I can't imagine NOT having skillful food photos to accompany recipes.

I mean, c'mon... if you like dark chocolate cheesecake, this is beautiful and appealing!

828669298_010f754653.jpg

I don't read cooking magazines and I've never owned a cookbook. I don't cook, and frankly, I'm not really into food. I like food, but the stuff I like is very pedestrian, ordinary food that I would never in a million years think to photograph.

Now, if you took the picture above, I tip my cap to you. That's a great shot. But most of the food pics you see on Facebook are just lousy, poorly composed, sometimes out-of-focus cell-phone pictures that have no artistic value whatsoever.
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    If a person has nothing better to do than to criticize something this petty, they probably need a hobby.. maybe photography.

I already have a hobby -- more than one, in fact. That's why I don't have time to take pictures of my food. :laugh:
  • Musikelektronik
    Options
    SqUrtzh-0kCLuP6f5_X2eA2.jpg
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of the international Asian students do it here in Australia. Nothing wrong with it, I guess it's just for memories.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes. Most likely if its a new recipe I've tried, maybe I got the idea from FB even, but sometimes just 'because.' The last thing was Easter lunch. The one before that was the crockpot lasagna with gluten free lasagna sheets.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Now, if you took the picture above, I tip my cap to you. That's a great shot. But most of the food pics you see on Facebook are just lousy, poorly composed, sometimes out-of-focus cell-phone pictures that have no artistic value whatsoever.

I did take the photo. :-)

I have several friends that are chefs, food bloggers or food stylists, so I guess good quality food photography is the norm for me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    But most of the food pics you see on Facebook are just lousy, poorly composed, sometimes out-of-focus cell-phone pictures that have no artistic value whatsoever.

Now I understand you.