Do you guys eat back your exercise calories?

Options
just wondering...

Replies

• AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes. The diet is geared towards running a particular caloric deficit per day. If I burn off extra calories, I need to eat them or I mess up that deficit resulting in possibly negative results.
  • PHewittJr
    Options
    I dunno. I try not to. Cause im having trouble dropping the weight. Ive actually gained since starting the calorie diet and exercising.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back especially if I am hungry. I try not to eat them all back cause somedays I might go over. Hope it all balances out.
  • chantellove
    chantellove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Usually, yes, because I'm on a pretty low calories allowed per day (1225), so I need to eat them back or else I don't think I'd be getting enough fuel...someone correct me if I'm wrong? :wink:
  • LasVegasTaxiDriver
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight, no you dont eat them back, the bigger defict the more you will loose, i have over a 2000 calorie defict every day im loosing 5 pounds a week by doing this
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Oh I happily eat them back..... BMR is 2300 with a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound a week is already built in by MFP so my exercise calories are there to fuel my workouts... Currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day with my exercise calories..... Best of Luck to you...
  • suelang93
    Options
    I definitely think you can and should eat them back if you are hungry. Generally I try not too, I'm on a 1200 count per day and I find that if I eat regularly during the day I'm not hungry at all. I have friends who skip meals or eat larger when they are starving and not only are not losing weight but gain and fall off the diet Wagon often. Key is consistent eating, for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight, no you dont eat them back, the bigger defict the more you will loose, i have over a 2000 calorie defict every day im loosing 5 pounds a week by doing this
    No offense but this frightens me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back about half. My logic? I'm likely underestimating calories and overestimating burn. :smile:
    My weight loss is slow going, but I'm only trying to lose 10lbs so I know it will be.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No offense but this frightens me.

THIS!
  • MissVickie220
    Options
    i never do EVER esp losing doesn't make sense trying to lose not gain I drink all day . guess trying to lose 5 lbs maybe?
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    yes you need to eat them back! this is a video a friend of mine posted earlier today....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=257767630985176
  • jenkinsdeb
    Options
    Im with you, I usually ALWAYS eat back my earned carlories otherwise I'd sarve and make bad choices..
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I tend to eat back about half. My logic? I'm likely underestimating calories and overestimating burn. :smile:

This ^^^
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do not.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you can handle a larger deficit. Most people can not handle a large calorie deficit and it does NOT guarantee that you'll lose more weight or lose it quicker. You have to give your body enough fuel to function properly and I really don't see how a 2000 calorie deficit is giving your body nearly what it needs. Yes, it may be working now, but I suspect eventually it will stop working. When that time comes? Don't create a larger deficit. Start eating more and you'll probably be shocked to see you'll start to lose weight again.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No.

You can just make it a whole lot easier by not tracking the caloric expenditure of exercise. Given that most people overestimate this anyway, why make it more complicated than it needs to be?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yes. After I workout, I'm starving and I need to eat. My body needs food. When I don't eat enough it gets very grumpy and if I do it for too long, I'll start to see a slow gain on the scale.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I have extra calories left at the end of the day I'll drink a glass of milk or have a spoonful or two of peanutbutter.....not the junk food that seems to call my name way too often. If I can't eat them back cause I'm not hungry - ehhh, no big deal. :smile:
  • 2Bskinny4good_Stacie
    Options
    I do. I'm no longer trying to lose weight, just tone up but I ate back most of the calories I got through exercise when I was attempting to lose too. I do agree with a poster above that it is important to not overestimate the number of calories you burn when you exercise so I have always used a heart rate monitor so I can be as accurate as possible in estimating how many I earned. I also tend to underestimate my resting activity level.