Do you guys eat back your exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options

Exactly!!! The cardio machines are not accurate...neither is MFP. I fill up and then I'm done. If I have a craving I dont belive in depriving myself but I have enough willpower and self control to satisfy my hunger THATS IT. I know I'm starving after cardio so I plan my daily menu accordingly. Same for my heavy lifting days. This works for me :)

Did I burn 800 like the machine said, or only 700? Oh well, may as well just assume I burned 0.

Get a heart rate monitor. It's 2012. There's no reason to be uninformed about what you accomplished.

Personally? I prefer to go by the way my clothes fit. That tells me what I've accomplished.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Personally? I prefer to go by the way my clothes fit. That tells me what I've accomplished.

Then say that in the first place. There's no need to spread unhealthy hubris which doesn't apply to many people, let alone most people.
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat them back...50-80% depending on the day, the exertion, & the food available.

I'm always amazed at the number of people that are afraid to eat back their calories or even eat more than 1200 calories. 'Baby', you didn't get to your weight by eating 1200, 1400 or even 1800 calories. You were probably eating 2500-4000 calories and NOT moving.

I looked at my "previously favorite" candy bar the other day. A whopping 350 calories!! I use to eat 4 of those....usually in ONE day!!!! That is how I got BIG. Not by eating 1600 net calories.

Now I usually NET 1400-1800 calories, stay moving with HRM, still have my "bad" snacks....and have been loosing 1.7 # every week since January.

Open Diary and open to new friends....

15449148.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • M1chelles5
    Options

Then say that in the first place. There's no need to spread unhealthy hubris which doesn't apply to many people, let alone most people.

Reading is Fundamental. I said " THIS WORKS FOR ME" in my first post.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options

And I said there's no reason for ignorance when the year is 2012 and heart rate monitors are cheap. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're talking to me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight or fat? If you want to cut fat instead of muscle then you should eat a bit more on workout days. If mfp estimates it then i would eat 50-75% of them or include it into my tdee calculation. The second is the method i use with myself and the 100 + people on this site with 98% sucess rate. Most people dont truly understand what caloric deficits mean andhow it effects the body and lean muscle mass.

Just search large caloric deficits and body recomposition.com for a good article on why this dont work.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Exactly!!! The cardio machines are not accurate...neither is MFP. I fill up and then I'm done. If I have a craving I dont belive in depriving myself but I have enough willpower and self control to satisfy my hunger THATS IT. I know I'm starving after cardio so I plan my daily menu accordingly. Same for my heavy lifting days. This works for me :)

Did I burn 800 like the machine said, or only 700? Oh well, may as well just assume I burned 0.

Get a heart rate monitor. It's 2012. There's no reason to be uninformed about what you accomplished.

Even though you are being sarcastic in the bolded part above, the ironic part is that it is actually the more logical route to take.
  • M1chelles5
    Options

You quoted me....Hence my response. **Project Ignore** in

• Tourney3p0
    Options
    Even though you are being sarcastic in the bolded part above, the ironic part is that it is actually the more logical route to take.

This is logical only if your typical exercise routine is walking for 7 minutes and your natural instinct is to log 1300 calories burned.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    You quoted me....Hence my response.

That's because there's no reason at all to assume that since cardio machines aren't 100% accurate, you should assume zero calories. That's just stupid by any given metric.
    **Project Ignore** in

That's right. Treat me like exercise.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hell if I know. When I calculate my calories, I use my BMR with an activity factor. Has worked for me all along. I can see running into problems with eating exercise calories because you could miscalculate the exercise calories.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

Judging by some of your previous posts, you could do with following your own advice.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options

Judging by some of your previous posts, you could do with following your own advice.

Please cite specific examples. If you can name even one valid point, I will do so.
  • M1chelles5
    Options

LoL...ever wonder why trolls dont have friends?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options

This is logical only if your typical exercise routine is walking for 7 minutes and your natural instinct is to log 1300 calories burned.

Give me one good reason why it is necessary to calculate the caloric expenditure of exercise.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options

And I said there's no reason for ignorance when the year is 2012 and heart rate monitors are cheap. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're talking to me.

Should someone point out that if you go strictly by HRM cals and eat them all back, you should pay particular attention to your BMR. The HRM does not subtract this for you and niether do the machines. Provided that you have correctly "estimated" your activity level across the very broad categories, which many studies have pointed out that the majority of people do not, then you have to do it yourself. Did you get it right? In your words, it's 2012; stop stressing. Oh yea, and some people can't pay for gas to get to work because the supply and demand market has driven wages into the toilet. If they can barely make it to work, they damn sure aren't going to buy a HRM. Maybe you should buy them one with your comfortable nestegg. Then, you can teach them how to use it since you are obviously better than them. If this doesn't sound apealling to you, please refrain from being a douche. Thank you.
  • dispy83
    dispy83 Posts: 13
    Options
    I always try to eat back my exercise calories. I want my body to be strong and healthy, and I feel as if I would be doing it a disservice by not giving it the fuel it needs. There are some days where I am around 100-200 calories under, but not because I was "afraid" of eating- I was just full. My calorie count for the day is 1200, and I couldn't imagine being off over the 500 calories I burn during a gym session.
  • Tourney3p0
    Options
    Give me one good reason why it is necessary to calculate the caloric expenditure of exercise.

Necessary in general? Not at all. You can ignore your caloric expenditure at all your entire life. Most of the people on this website have, in fact.

As far as the benefits, you're making it too easy by asking for just one. Study after study shows that if your net caloric intake falls below your BMR, you begin to burn substantial muscle mass in addition to fat. Meeting your BMR is dependent upon your net expenditure, and your net expenditure is dependent upon your calories burned. Thus, your exercise calories are directly related to whether or not you reach your BMR in terms of net calories consumed. By assuming you have burned "0 calories" exercising, you are thus burning substantial muscle mass.

If we're talking about weight loss, no. By all means, ignore your exercise. If you're talking about healthy weight loss and fat burning, it's absolutely vital.

But you knew that, right? There's no way you couldn't know something so absolutely fundamental.

Edit: Tell ya what, there's a sticky on top called "Newbies, please read." As a newbie, you could stand to learn a lot from it. Here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for you to cite a specific post where I recommended something unhealthy for someone. If you can't do so, please refrain from suggesting otherwise. If you have a specific beef with me, send me a message so we can rectify it. If you're just making wild and unfounded claims out of some sort of weird emotional need, let's not let it affect helping others.
  • Jules_1111
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight, no you dont eat them back, the bigger defict the more you will loose, i have over a 2000 calorie defict every day im loosing 5 pounds a week by doing this
    No offense but this frightens me.

Wow....it frightens me too!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Yeah most of them but I aim to have a calorie deficit until I reach my desired weight or body shape which ever is first.
    Sometimes I put me planned meal in the food table, just to see how much training I should be aiming for as a minimum that evening.