Anyone recommend NROLFW?

Options
Hey dolls! I was wondering if anyone has had success/would recommend New Rules of Lifting For Women. I'm interested in trying it out! Any info/tips or other recommendations are very much appreciated!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    There are many women that follow that program.

There's a group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2553-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, pretty much everyone in every thread about weight training posted by a woman.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Totally yes. Just finished reading the book. Starting the workout routine tomorrow. Even if you're not sure you want to do the workouts, I would highly recommend the book for random reading. It's written really well, not a difficult read, with a bit of humor to it, too. And very VERY informative. I can't wait for tomorrow. I just saw another forum thread where a woman posted her pics from doing 16 days of the workout routine...only 16 days, mind you!...and the difference in her body in those 16 days was incredible.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stage 1!!!!

I am not keen on moving to stage 2. It gets too fancy, moves away from the basics.

I'll probably stick with stage 1 forever.... or move on to Stronglifts.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It comes highly recommended around here. I start in May! (Focusing on my 5k on May 6 first.)
  • nownorma
    nownorma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I read that book, and because I have always lifted heavy weights since the early '80s, it was nothing new to me. But I am 52, people always tell me I look much younger, and I attribute it to the weights. Heavy lifting is definitely a must do in my opinion.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's kind of a cult :laugh:

i say that in love because i'm doing it now and i completed it once before in the past :laugh:

@labrat : honestly the fancier moves aren't my favorite. i like the simplicity of the stage 1 type exercises but i do also love me some power moves like the front squat/press and the 1 armed DB snatch
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stage 1!!!!

I am not keen on moving to stage 2. It gets too fancy, moves away from the basics.

I switched from NROL4W to Strong Lifts for this very reason I love being in and out of the gym! I can remember 3 exercises of what I need to do! Right now I not at the point of NROL4W very detailed I still have about 100... maybe 70 Lbs of fat to go before I need to worry about that!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I read that book, and because I have always lifted heavy weights since the early '80s, it was nothing new to me. But I am 52, people always tell me I look much younger, and I attribute it to the weights. Heavy lifting is definitely a must do in my opinion.

Yeah you look AWESOME I mean I know I dont have to tell you but deff I would have thought late 39/40 at the oldest
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Starting stage 3 and I love it.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I LOVE stage 1!!!!

I switched from NROL4W to Strong Lifts for this very reason I love being in and out of the gym! I can remember 3 exercises of what I need to do! Right now I not at the point of NROL4W very detailed I still have about 100... maybe 70 Lbs of fat to go before I need to worry about that!

Do you think it would be helpful for someone to start with stronglifts 5x5 and then move on to NROL4W? Since stronglifts seems to be much simpler.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Starting Stage 3 on Monday - great so far!!

Tips?

- Follow the program and don't give in to the temptation to "tweak" it too much. 3 workouts a week is enough, and you don't need serious cardio on the in-between days. Walking/jogging is okay, but doing too much will affect your recovery.
    - Follow the calorie recommendations even though you'll think it's too high. It's not.
    - Listen to your body, not your ego... I dove in with too much confidence on the lunges, and had seriously hurting knees that took about three weeks to recover.
  • Ninikins2
    Ninikins2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I love it!! Highly recommend.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm on Stage 4 now, and loving it. When I'm through with the program, I know that I'll keep lifting because I love what it is doing for my body. I feel stronger and healthier than I have in a long time, and all the jiggly parts are tightening up! :smile:
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Is stronglifts another book? I googled it but for some reason the website wasnt opening for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/

there's a free ebook of the program. it's really simple. just sign up on the site. he also sends helpful emails with questions and answers and sometimes youtube clips as well