How many carbs do you eat?

Options
I am just curious about how many carbs you eat per day? I am vegan and eat very healthy but I'm not sure how many carbs is too many. I had 208 today so far but healthy food and not bread like things (only quinoa, a homemade black bean patty and a sprouted grain wrap is all I can think of really.) Does it matter if you're female or male how many your need?

Replies

• PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am on the induction phase of the Atkins diet so I am eating less than 20 a day. I will be adding back carbs at some point. I'd like to loose a little more weight first.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing and the time of the year. Fall/Winter (bulking), ALOT of carbs 300-500+ grams. Spring/Summer (cutting), not as much (200g max probably to cut down on the water retention).
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for less than 20 because ketosis essentially cures my migraines. It's. . .hard. I don't know how people do it for weight loss because I really like carby food (and I can't even have GOOD carby food because I have celiac disease).
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Between 150 and 200.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I average around 150, not that I'm aiming for that, it just seems to be where I end up at the end of the day.

If you are feeling good and you're losing your weight slowly then don't change it, if it's not working or you're not feeling quite right then change things around a little maybe. Only you know what your body needs and/or wants, I guess. Don't go by other peoples guidelines.

Edited for the other bit of the question.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Currently averaging 340 grams a day....
  • dianacarr83
    dianacarr83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    About 100 grams and I workout pretty intensely 5-6 times per week. 90% of carbs are non-starchy veggies. I0% starch from sweet potatoes post workout. Large amounts of carbs are not as important as conventional wisdom has told us. Carbs aren't bad but you have to find what carb level you can tolerate without having blood sugar issues that can lead to weight gain or toxicity. Stay away from sugar!

Also, what reason are you vegan? I'm not picking on vegans, I'm just curious. I follow a paleo lifestyle that has changed my life.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    50-75 all from fruits and veg.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I follow South Beach and it's usually around 100.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised people are eating that many carbs (150-300/day). In my eating plan I think that is a lot. And I do not consider myself a low carber. I consider myself a modified carber. I try to eat 60-90g/day.

Eating 60-90g per day takes some planning finesse. Carbs are in everything. I feel tons better when my carbs are modified and I don't eat processed foods.

Now that I steer away from processed carbs I realized how sick they made me. I was poisoning myself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I get ~200g/day carbohydrates, and they're almost all "good" carbs. I have tried in the past to lower my carbs, mostly because you hear so many people talk about the evils of carbohydrates, and every time I found lowering my carbohydrates to be miserable and unsustainable. No one diet is right for everyone - lots of people do very well on high protein diets, but I am not one of them. As a vegan I can't imagine how you could limit yourself any further, I'm surprised you only get 208 g/day. Vegan protein sources are inherently tied to carbohydrates.

Here's the thing- there are 3 macronutrients (4 if you count alcohol). As a society, we recognize the importance of getting micronutrients - vitamins and minerals- but we seem to think that we should be avoiding either fat or carbohydrates for optimal health. It makes no sense! Each of the macronutrients provide essential functions! Why would we opt to force ourselves in to alternate metabolic pathways?

Apologies for the rant....It mostly had nothing to do with your original topic. I think as a vegan you should concentrate on an overall balanced, fresh and healthy diet and let the carbohydrate "chips" fall as they may....haha...
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    About 100 grams and I workout pretty intensely 5-6 times per week. 90% of carbs are non-starchy veggies. I0% starch from sweet potatoes post workout. Large amounts of carbs are not as important as conventional wisdom has told us. Carbs aren't bad but you have to find what carb level you can tolerate without having blood sugar issues that can lead to weight gain or toxicity. Stay away from sugar!

Also, what reason are you vegan? I'm not picking on vegans, I'm just curious. I follow a paleo lifestyle that has changed my life.

I became vegan about 5 years ago, I had slowly cut out red meat and pork then was eatinf just chicken and seafood. I decided toread the book Skinny ***** and it totally opened my eyes to all the horrible things that happen to the animals before/ during their breeding and torture/ killing:( It gave reasons why meat/ dairy etc. isnt good for your body and it just grossed me out so muh I quit eating meat dairy and animal products cold turkey. Best thing I ever did!! I used to get sick about once every 1 to 2 months and now its literally about 2 tiny colds a year! I feel better, look better and it keeps me trim and just clean feeling, inside and out and clearer skin. I will never go back now seeing and feeling the effects. Another reason is that being vegan forces you to try new foods so I have widened my selection of foods I eat now, contrary to what people may think. I eat a ton of delicious things, not just salad at all lol. Theres no cholesterol to worry about and the fats I eat are all healthy vegetable fats. I dunno I just feel alot better about myself too
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Usually in the vicinity of 60-100g a day based on activity levels but very, very rarely above 120g. Gross majority of my carb intake is from raw veggies as I've cut out grains and as much processed food as possible.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised people are eating that many carbs (150-300/day). In my eating plan I think that is a lot. And I do not consider myself a low carber. I consider myself a modified carber. I try to eat 60-90g/day.

Eating 60-90g per day takes some planning finesse. Carbs are in everything. I feel tons better when my carbs are modified and I don't eat processed foods.

Now that I steer away from processed carbs I realized how sick they made me. I was poisoning myself.

Everyone is different.
    OP, I tried having less than 100 per day and after a week I passed out. 200ish is where I seem to be at :) Everything in moderation.

I am studying nutrition atm, and the guidelines say you should be from 35-45% of your daily intake.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 250g-400g
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My max before I start getting blood sugar reading higher than I'd like is 75. That's total carbs ...not net carbs. I net between 15-40 usually.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My max before I start getting blood sugar reading higher than I'd like is 75. That's total carbs ...not net carbs. I net between 15-40 usually.

Er..what? Net carbs?
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 160-190.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm doing and the time of the year. Fall/Winter (bulking), ALOT of carbs 300-500+ grams. Spring/Summer (cutting), not as much (200g max probably to cut down on the water retention).

This but in smaller cycles.

Monday, weds and Friday I drive mine wayyy up with high protein and lower fats.
    Every other day i keep them closer to 100 with high protein and higher fats.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I became vegan about 5 years ago, I had slowly cut out red meat and pork then was eatinf just chicken and seafood. I decided toread the book Skinny ***** and it totally opened my eyes to all the horrible things that happen to the animals before/ during their breeding and torture/ killing:( It gave reasons why meat/ dairy etc. isnt good for your body and it just grossed me out so muh I quit eating meat dairy and animal products cold turkey. Best thing I ever did!! I used to get sick about once every 1 to 2 months and now its literally about 2 tiny colds a year! I feel better, look better and it keeps me trim and just clean feeling, inside and out and clearer skin. I will never go back now seeing and feeling the effects. Another reason is that being vegan forces you to try new foods so I have widened my selection of foods I eat now, contrary to what people may think. I eat a ton of delicious things, not just salad at all lol. Theres no cholesterol to worry about and the fats I eat are all healthy vegetable fats. I dunno I just feel alot better about myself too

You sound like you're doing great. I wouldn't change a thing if you feel good :smile: