30g protein breakfast, saw on dr.oz?

I have heard Dr. Oz mention on a few shows about trying to eat 30g of protein for breakfast. This is supposed to help reduce cortisol and weight loss. Has anyone else tried? If so with sucess :smile: , I could use a few more ideas....

Replies

• dianacarr83
    dianacarr83 Posts: 5 Member
    Dr. Jack Kruse has a leptin reset protocol that works miracles! Look up Jack Kruse Leptin reset. 50g-75g protein within 30 minutes of waking. Do not eat again for 4-5 hours - no snacking. Trust me, you won't be hungry after 50 grams of protein.
    Note: If you are not hungry for lunch OR dinner, then your breakfast was likely too big. Do not eat after 7pm. Try to allow 4-5 hours after dinner before bed. If you incorporate a workout, do it after 5 pm.
    You can eat... all meats (lean toward wild and grassfed varieties), Coconut oil, Butter, Heavy Whipping Crean, Non-starchy veggys that are lower in omega 6s.
    Keep your carbs approx 50 grams per day if you have less than 30 lbs to lose,
    Keep your carbs approx 25 grams per day if you have greater than 30 lbs to lose.
    Do not eat grains, legumes, and very starchy veggys, high omega 6 veggys, most vegatable oils
    For the period of leptin reset stay away from fruits and nuts. Also eliminate eggs if you have an autoimmune condition.

He himself lost over 100 pounds doing this and now he helps other people. It can take 6-8 weeks for your leptin levels to be restored.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    bump
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    bump
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Dr. Jack Kruse has a leptin reset protocol that works miracles! Look up Jack Kruse Leptin reset. 50g-75g protein within 30 minutes of waking. Do not eat again for 4-5 hours - no snacking. Trust me, you won't be hungry after 50 grams of protein.
    Note: If you are not hungry for lunch OR dinner, then your breakfast was likely too big. Do not eat after 7pm. Try to allow 4-5 hours after dinner before bed. If you incorporate a workout, do it after 5 pm.
    You can eat... all meats (lean toward wild and grassfed varieties), Coconut oil, Butter, Heavy Whipping Crean, Non-starchy veggys that are lower in omega 6s.
    Keep your carbs approx 25 grams per day if you have greater than 30 lbs to lose.
    Do not eat grains, legumes, and very starchy veggys, high omega 6 veggys, most vegatable oils
    For the period of leptin reset stay away from fruits and nuts. Also eliminate eggs if you have an autoimmune condition.

He himself lost over 100 pounds doing this and now he helps other people. It can take 6-8 weeks for your leptin levels to be restored.
    this sounds way too complicated and torturous. Not to mention unsustainable. It is 11 pm and I am about to eat a big bowl of Parmesan peppercorn ranch popcorn.
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    hmm...I have not heard about this, but I made the following for dinner tonight (it is breakfast as I sometimes make breakfast for dinner) and it was extremely filling and delicious. It is extremely high in protein (42 grams) and low in carbs (25 grams)

Breakfast Casserole (Serves 4)

1 cup breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean turkey sausage breakfast crumbles)
    1 1/2 cups egg substitute
    1/3 cup fat free milk
    3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (I used 1/2 cup kraft fat free cheddar mixed with 2 ounces of cabot 75% fat free cheddar)
    1/4 cup fat free (or reduced fat) ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup broccoli cut up into small pieces

1. Pre-heat oven to 350
    2. brown sausage and drain
    3. layer casserole (I used a 2 quart casserole dish) with sausage
    4. add cheddar cheese on top of sausage in casserole dish
    5. layer in broccoli on top of cheese
    6. mix milk and egg substitute together in bowl (I added salt and pepper and a little bit of nutmeg to flavor)
    7. slowly pour egg mixture in casserole dish
    8. take ricotta cheese and drop it in spreading it out in the casserole dish
    9. Bake in oven for about 35-40 minutes (or until the casserole has set and is firm)

Nutrition Facts (4 LARGE servings using the ingredient substitutions I used)

Cals:164
    Sat. Fat: 1
    Carbs: 8
    Protein: 27

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes (2 Servings: 3 pancakes each)
    (taken from: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=218543)
    TRUST ME: YOU CANNOT TASTE THE COTTAGE CHEESE AT ALL!

1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (I used 1% fat)
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1-2 packets of sweetener (I used splenda....you could also use honey if you'd like)

1. preheat griddle (if using one) to 350 degrees
    2. put all ingredients EXCEPT OATS in blender and blend until smooth
    3. add in oats and pulse until just mixed
    4. make pancakes (1/4 cup of mix) on griddle...should make 6 total pancakes

Nutrition Facts

Cals: 145
    Sat Fat: 1
    Carbs: 18
    Fiber: 2
    Protein: 15

Total Nutrition Facts for Meal (1/4 of casserole and 3 pancakes)

Cals: 309
    Sat Fat: 2
    Carbs: 25
    Fiber: 2
    Protein: 42
  • dianacarr83
    dianacarr83 Posts: 5 Member
    You don't do it forever. You follow this program to restore your leptin levels. Leptin is what tells your brain you are full. We are completely responsible for ourselves and our healing process. If we want to lose weight, we have to learn to try new things, even if they are hard. 6 weeks really isn't that long and you will see results much before that time. If you can't fit the meal timing in, that isn't the biggest deal. You can still follow the rest of his protocol.

Jack follows a primal/paleo lifestyle. Hence the food he recommends. His information is all free too. He really wants to share what was worked for not only him, but also his son.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    I just had to peek at my food diary, I eat a 29 gram protein breakfast pretty much every day and I guess you could say it's working, losing slowly but steadily
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    saving for later
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    I have heard Dr. Oz mention on a few shows about trying to eat 30g of protein for breakfast. This is supposed to help reduce cortisol and weight loss. Has anyone else tried? If so with sucess :smile: , I could use a few more ideas....

tried, what? watching "dr" oz? no. I think I'll avoid that.
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Bump
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    You don't do it forever. You follow this program to restore your leptin levels. Leptin is what tells your brain you are full. We are completely responsible for ourselves and our healing process. If we want to lose weight, we have to learn to try new things, even if they are hard. 6 weeks really isn't that long and you will see results much before that time. If you can't fit the meal timing in, that isn't the biggest deal. You can still follow the rest of his protocol.

Jack follows a primal/paleo lifestyle. Hence the food he recommends. His information is all free too. He really wants to share what was worked for not only him, but also his son.

or you can just, you know, work on the whole exercise and moderation in eating thing.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member

this sounds way too complicated and torturous. Not to mention unsustainable. It is 11 pm and I am about to eat a big bowl of Parmesan peppercorn ranch popcorn.

parmesan peppercorn ranch popcorn, say what?! that sounds amazing?! where do you find this?
  • Bump
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member

Exactly ...unsustainable. I will also venture to say that eating 1200, 1300, or 1400 isn't sustainable or maintainable long term. Drastic cuts in calories slows down the metabolism and the moment you eat above your restricted intake the pounds pack on.

It isn't necessary and now hundreds are "Eat More to Weigh Less" (group created to share the great news that you dont have to starve to lose weight). Eating your TDEE - 15% is a reasonable cut and making sure to Net BMR makes sure you always meet your BMR needs. I couldn't lose eating under 1500 cals and finally started eating 1800 and the scale moved down...I plateaued and added 100 cals. I eat 1gr of protein per lb of bodyweight, so yep 30gr in the morning is usually a norm.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member

If you aren't going to commit to a permanent lifestyle change then why bother with this way of eating? Most people regain lost pounds because the diet they were following ends or they were being too restrictive to begin with.

I pulled up some articles about Dr. Kruse and he seems credible and you definitely can't discount his own personal success. One quote that baffled me was him mentioning dairy will kill you. I fail to see where he derives this conclusion.

Anyway, he follows a Paleo lifestyle and if you aren't going to commit to it and make it the way you eat for the rest of your life, then there is no point in starting it.

Easiest way is to stay at a caloric deficit, make sure to get plenty of protein, don't be afraid of fats and carbs can be limited but not less the 100g per day. Don't restrict the things you love, just eat them in moderation. You can have 10-20% of your calories in "junk" type foods and still be successful.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Anything that comes out of that show is usually total twaddle.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    One of my friends suggested 30g protein breakfasts and I did give it a fair shake for a month or so.

But... I don't like breakfast. It was torture to force myself to eat something I didn't even like or want.

Since I have just settled in to eating what works for my likes and lifestyle (which happens to be very little breakfast) in moderation and exercising enough to actually burn calories and break a sweat, the weight has come off much more quickly than when I was trying to force myself into someone else's mold.

So, my opinion is to figure out what works for you. If what you're doing isn't working, then I doubt it will hurt to give it a try. Maybe it will be that one thing that will make all the other pieces click. Then again, maybe not!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    parmesan peppercorn ranch popcorn, say what?! that sounds amazing?! where do you find this?
    You make it! Pop some corn in a popper. I did 80g of kernels. Then you mix up some ingredients in a bowl and melt it together and pour it over the popcorn, stir, then toss it in the oven for a little while to heat it all up nice and good. It sounds more complicated than it really is. The ingrediients you mix: 20g butter (4tsp about), 2tbsp ranch dressing, 2g fresh ground pepper, and 2tbsp (15g I think) of parmesan cheese. I ate it all, and it was about 620 calories. This is not the first time, and it won't be the last!
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    You make it! Pop some corn in a popper. I did 80g of kernels. Then you mix up some ingredients in a bowl and melt it together and pour it over the popcorn, stir, then toss it in the oven for a little while to heat it all up nice and good. It sounds more complicated than it really is. The ingrediients you mix: 20g butter (4tsp about), 2tbsp ranch dressing, 2g fresh ground pepper, and 2tbsp (15g I think) of parmesan cheese. I ate it all, and it was about 620 calories. This is not the first time, and it won't be the last!

oof! that would have to be dinner one night for me! haha. but it sounds really good, ill have to try and make it sometime!