30g protein breakfast, saw on dr.oz?

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Do any of you people cook for others? I have a husband to feed. He's not going to eat this stuff for breakfast and I'm not making separate meals. I've lost 70 lbs just from changing the food I ate and walking every day.

We eat REGULAR FOOD...oatmeal for breakfast with 1/2 grapefruit and hot tea.

Lunch is soup & sandwich. Dinner is a small portion of meat or fish, a baked sweet potato, maybe a salad. We eat two small snacks per day. But it's REAL food. Not a shake or 20 egg whites, etc.

Remember, not everyone who reads these boards are young. Some of us are nearing retirement, plus were raised to cook MEALS. I made the kids eat dinner at the kitchen table every day till they moved out of the house. Something that most young familes don't do today, and that's sad.

I'm with you - although I'm not near retirement age, my husband and I both like to cook and eat real food too.
    I've certainly lost weight eating better sized portions of real food and by cutting out (mostly) crappy, nutritionless snacks. I'm still working on the last one but I'm getting there......

But, let's face it, lots of people like to have a complicated plan to follow - "eat moderate sized portions of actual food" isn't a very sexy description for a "diet" and doesn't really sell books or rate on tv (unless you're Michael Pollan who does sell books with a pretty simple message!).
    Having some thing specific to follow like "high protein breakfast" or "leptin resetting" can make people feel as though they are doing something special for their health and hopefully will provide a very specific roadmap to eating a moderate amount of healthy food. I tend to think that the outcome is probably the same, some people just need that specific guide to get there.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    bump
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisseth82
    lisseth82 Posts: 28
    Options
    bump
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz started recommending this after he had author Tim Ferris on promoting his book, the 4-hour body. It's actually 30g of protein within 30 mins of rising. Neither go into the science but generally claim it goes beyond satiety and puts the body into "a more fat-burning mode." The book is about body recomposition and peak performance and Ferris is a big proponent of eating massive amounts of protein for muscle growth. He also admits his body is extremely poor at growing fast twitch muscles.

I have been trying many of Ferris's recommendations and have been getting little out of them so far. For me 12-18 grams of protein seems to be optimal. I don't seem to get anything out of eating more at breakfast (despite trying 30g for 3 months). I don't really understand why some would say it's unsustainable. We're talking 3 eggs and a protein shake or beans or breakfast meat. Not that big a deal to make and your body should have no issue handling it long term.
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    There is no point in disregarding made for TV in it's entirety as there may always be something worth doing a bit of further research on for your own purposes. The leptin reset is legit. There are all sorts of ways to do it to help with an overall lifestyle change. If we are just losing weight we are wasting our time. Losing weight can be biochemical a la calories in and calories out. And reshaping can be accomplished with strength training for all persons of all shapes. In my own journey the biggest changes in all aspects came when I started treating food as medicine that tastes good. Recording and reading reports generated by the software has to be a new hobby as I view it. People ask me what I did to lose weight as if it is some mystery that I need to reveal. Its all interesting and you can be as scientific as you would like about it. My suggestion is not to discount any science unless you
    know for a fact that it doesn't work for you or if you saw it on a billboard like the one on the highway here that says "lose a pound a day".
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Do any of you people cook for others? I have a husband to feed. He's not going to eat this stuff for breakfast and I'm not making separate meals. I've lost 70 lbs just from changing the food I ate and walking every day.

We eat REGULAR FOOD...oatmeal for breakfast with 1/2 grapefruit and hot tea.

Lunch is soup & sandwich. Dinner is a small portion of meat or fish, a baked sweet potato, maybe a salad. We eat two small snacks per day. But it's REAL food. Not a shake or 20 egg whites, etc.

Remember, not everyone who reads these boards are young. Some of us are nearing retirement, plus were raised to cook MEALS. I made the kids eat dinner at the kitchen table every day till they moved out of the house. Something that most young familes don't do today, and that's sad.

I don't know why, but I just love this! :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Gt3ch: I've read 4hb. Tim Ferris a good marketer, not nutritionist.

And I fail to see how you could accurately assess the difference between 12-18g of protein and 30g of protein for breakfast on fat loss?

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

re leptin: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531579--spike-day-nonsense
  • candyrayne215
    candyrayne215 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    saved
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Gt3ch: I've read 4hb. Tim Ferris a good marketer, not nutritionist.

And I fail to see how you could accurately assess the difference between 12-18g of protein and 30g of protein for breakfast on fat loss?

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

re leptin: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531579--spike-day-nonsense

Maybe I was unclear but I didn't notice any improvement in fat-loss. I just feel better and more energetic when I've had 2-3 eggs soon after getting up. I'm more satisfied and can last longer, more comfortably, before I need to eat again. It just works for me. I do very poorly on low protein mornings. For me bad mornings have a cascade effect for the rest of the day. While YMMV my experience is not uncommon.

As an aside I do think you and others here oversimplify the studies on nutrient timing. But on the points relevant to this thread we're not in disagreement. I haven't noticed any benefit as far as fat loss or muscle growth from following Ferris's advice. For me there are no additional returns from eating more than 2-3 eggs (or the equivalent) for breakfast or eating past 30 mins after rising. I actually broke through a fat-loss plateau when I threw out a bunch of his advice.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in not eating after a certain time at night. Your body doesn't run like a clock. If you are hungry and have calories left, EAT. You are doing your body more harm but refusing to feed your body if you are hungry because "it's after 7pm"... Doesn't matter the time, your body is still running.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in not eating after a certain time at night. Your body doesn't run like a clock. If you are hungry and have calories left, EAT. You are doing your body more harm but refusing to feed your body if you are hungry because "it's after 7pm"... Doesn't matter the time, your body is still running.
    ^ This. Noone seems to understand the very basics. Calories IN vs CALORIES OUT. Irrelevant if you eat at 2 am, or 2 pm. Doesnt matter if you eat soon before sleep or right after you wake up. Food is fuel, not some ticking time bomb that you can only eat during certain hours.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree that more protein for breakfast will help keep you full longer but anything that's 'fad-like', I avoid. If you eat healthy snacks you shouldn't have to eat a ton of protein for breakfast to keep you from getting hungry. Eat something. I also think that if I took every pill Dr. Oz recommends, I'd burst. I think he gets paid for pushing some of that crap. Eat real food, normal amounts of food and exercise. It's that simple and easy to maintain.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    bump
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    My regular proats I have for breakfast has about 45g protein. Eat it at about 1pm every day. I never thought I'd agree with anything Dr Oz says but there you go, works for me. N=1.

Ah yes but seeing as you IF, this wouldnt be classified as 'breakfast', and therefore you may experience severe muscle atrophy any day now!
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eating a well balanced meal as soon as you wake up is necessary. We've been fasting for about 6-12 hours depending on how much sleep we get from the time we finished our last meal. Your body needs a sources of energy like protein, CHO and fat to keep you mentally awake. CHO works with your CNS, protein helps with muscle repair, good fat keeps you fuller. It's best to eat more frequently rather than waiting till you're hungry. Eating every 2-3 hours helps lessen overeating. High-protein foods, high-fiber foods, and healthy fats are all on the top most filling foods. Keep your metabolism at work by eating often.

“Clients who are trying to lose weight tell me they get hungry every three to four hours,” says nutritionist Beth Kitchin, RD, an assistant professor at the University of Alabama in Birmingham. “You’re supposed to feel hungry that often, so eating low-energy density foods, meaning those high in nutrients, can really help.”

Point is to eat before you get hungry. That way you won't be "starving" by the time you hit your 3rd or 4th hour
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [/quote] this sounds way too complicated and torturous. Not to mention unsustainable. It is 11 pm and I am about to eat a big bowl of Parmesan peppercorn ranch popcorn.
    [/quote]

Well, now, that just sounds amazing and delicious!
  • LisaR517
    LisaR517 Posts: 80
    Options

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes (2 Servings: 3 pancakes each)
    (taken from: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=218543)
    TRUST ME: YOU CANNOT TASTE THE COTTAGE CHEESE AT ALL!

1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (I used 1% fat)
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1-2 packets of sweetener (I used splenda....you could also use honey if you'd like)

1. preheat griddle (if using one) to 350 degrees
    2. put all ingredients EXCEPT OATS in blender and blend until smooth
    3. add in oats and pulse until just mixed
    4. make pancakes (1/4 cup of mix) on griddle...should make 6 total pancakes

Nutrition Facts

Cals: 145
    Sat Fat: 1
    Carbs: 18
    Fiber: 2
    Protein:

I am totally making these tmrw a.m. :)