pet question

Options

Replies

• Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    All my pets seem a healthy weight. Although my puppy is heavy set. She was meant to be a small dog but wow, she is heavy! Not overweight though apparently.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is a veg, runs half marathons and is as skinny as a stick. But her cat is so fat that she has to lay down to eat!!! Feed the pets as directed by the vet, period! :flowerforyou:
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We have two beagles. Theare always hungry but they get measured food twice a day and RARELY we give them treats like chicken or beef that we don't eat. Mine runon the treadmill with me and/or get a walk just about every day. We take them tons of places and we are very active with them. Our vet says they are a good weight. Beagles can tend to get fat.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I would think it's fine to feed them the turkey fat... as long as that's not all you're feeding them. Dogs & cats are meant to eat whole animals... bones, fat, muscle... the whole deal.
  • x__abbi__x
    x__abbi__x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a pet rat called Chesney who I treat like a member of the family... which means family meals. He gets a child size bowl of food for dinner and rat food the rest of the time. He especially likes sundays (roast dinner)
    I describe him as a rat version of garfield lol. He is a little bit overweight according to the vet but hes not got long left on his life expectancy (hes 2 and rats dont live much longer than that) so why shouldnt I let him die a happy full rat aye. xx
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have 3 cats... they are of average size, we have to watch what they eat. One has an issue with his weight and we get worried, one other has issues with crystals in his bladder and we have to give him wet cat food to help prevent them from building up, and out third has just issues with cleaning himself.. smelly cat!!
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    I don't mean they can't metablize fats at all. I mean their can't handle the stuff we can. Every animal can metabloize fats but each speacies may do it differently. And it's physically impossible for ANYTHING to metablize fur.....it just gets passed through the system or sometimes unfortunately gets stuck.
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    . Mine love some plain scrambled eggs and even some veggies. They get those pretty frequently when I cook- JUST NO ONIONS OR GARLIC- THESE WILL KILL THEM!!!!!

I'm sorry im going to have to disagree here with you. Ours have always had garlic and onion-we cook with it a lot so it's always in the food and it has never ever shown to have done any harm. And the dogs have always lived to be a ripe age of 16+.
    Xxx
    [/quote]

Disagree all you want but onions and garlic in cats cause methemagloanemia......a disorder that makes it impossible for their red blood cells to obsorb oxygen and carry it throught the body like they shold. Basically it causes them to suffocate to death. I have seen it with my own eyes. It happens less frequently with dogs because its has a different effect but with cats its VERY DEADLY. Now my cats have gotten into onlions and garlic on acident plently of times without me worrying too much. Very small amount may be fine. But never under any circumstances should you every be giving it to them on purpose! The amount needed is not very large and it would be a shame to accidently kill your baby because you didnt know any better.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    3 of my dogs 6mths, 2yrs, 3yrs are at peak fitness for their breeds, my 10yr old russel is fat but shes also on a diet now
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    I would think it's fine to feed them the turkey fat... as long as that's not all you're feeding them. Dogs & cats are meant to eat whole animals... bones, fat, muscle... the whole deal.

Thats whild animals. Belive it or not evolution had made the domesticated versions we know and love not be able to tpriocess that stuff. Thats like saying that becuase humans are made to be able to be outisde it should be fine for everyone....obvioulsy not considering my husband is allergic to everything out there!. Evolution took charge of that one!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mine are all of a healthy weight.

I don't think you can get fat tarantulas, and the cats seem to be able to control their own portions.

I do wish they would stop bringing us food though. Or even worse lately they've not been killing them, we've just been getting new house guests. Who knew that getting cats when you have no mouse problem, could introduce one?
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    NO HUMAN FOOD FOR ANY PET...EVER!!
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    I actually adopted a 3 year old pup about two months ago who was underweight, and am having trouble getting him to eat more. If I was so lucky to have that problem...Ha.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My cat is larger, but still on the healthy side. However, if I don't give him healthy cat food he will blow up like a balloon super fast and end up with a rock hard stomach. He can't eat Iams and Wiskas and junk like that. I buy him locally made stuff and it's actually pretty reasonably priced-a $22 bag lasts him about a month! Like with people, it's quality of the food over quantity!

My boyfriend and I have a 11 month old husky who is also on 'health' pet food. $80 a month for his food I think. We didn't give him any human food for the first few months we had him, but around 5 months we started giving him popcorn and peanut butter-he LOVES it!! He also gets a couple random scraps of veggies-he also loves cherry tomatoes and peas in the pod haha. Weird dog. We try not to give him meat, but if we're camping and have an extra hot dog or something like that we'll give it to him. He eats quality kibble twice a day, so occasional treats are fine.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Please PLEASE stop giving your cat turkey fat or any other kind of fat for that matter. Whether they are getting fat or not it's not good for them. ... Also, animal cannot metabolize fats the way we do and it puts alot of strain on their pancreas.

I've got to ask...if they can't metabolise fats, then what happens to the fat they ingest from the animals they have killed? I can think of a guinea pig and a chicken *someones* cat/s have eaten in the last couple of weeks. These animals had fat on them. How well do cats metabolise the fur and feathers?

My vet told me to give my dog fish oil...that is fat.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    My cat is too skinny, and cannot gain any weight. I keep trying to give him foods that will make him gain a little without over-doing it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My dog is not overweight (per the vet), but she tends to be more muscular when I'm in better shape. Her diet doesn't change; it's that I tend to take her for longer walks and play more games like "fetch" with her when I'm generally being more active. :happy:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My cat is too skinny, and cannot gain any weight. I keep trying to give him foods that will make him gain a little without over-doing it.

Have you had his thyroid checked? Hyperthyroidism is very common in cats and could explain his low weight.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My two female dogs got chunky after being spayed. since theyre indoors my cats and male dog are intact....and slim. Its crazy how fast they gain, even on restricted diets, after getting fixed. oh well. now theyre fat and happy :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've always been concerned about obesity in my pet but as of his last checkup he was only 1 lb overweight (and he's ~15 yrs old).