Healthy pancakes!

Options
CassieReannan
CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
Hi guys. I am craving pancakes pretty badly right now! I used to eat them all the time and since the diet I have wanted them sooo bad. I have been doing some research on healthy pancakes. I dont have much right now in the cupboard other than flour, normal milk, eggs and peanut butter. I am living on a students wage, need something cheap and healthy! Any ideas?

Replies

• dhess42
    dhess42 Posts: 1
    Options
    pioneer woman sour cream pancakes
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, flour, egg and a tiny oil...my fav!!
  • MelV1
    MelV1 Posts: 31
    Options
    I am a pancake lover too!!!! This is easy and cheap and delicious!!!! 2 egg whites, half a banana and a little bit of cinnamon. Mix together and cook in the frying pan. I had mine with strawberries and light syrup and it came to 140 calories. So DELICIOUS. I think I got that recipe off of here.
  • aimee_md
    aimee_md Posts: 44
    Options
    Betty Crocker pancake mix. You mix it with water, low in calories and tastes AMAZEBALLS

Throw a little bit of honey and chopped banana on there.

You can also get a frying spray called FRYLITE it's only 1calorie a spray.
  • CassieReannan
    Options
    pioneer woman sour cream pancakes

Omg yum! I think I might try this and swap the sour cream for yogurt. I have forme which is low fat. OMG I WANT PANCAKES.
    I cant wait to wake up tomorrow.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am a pancake lover too!!!! This is easy and cheap and delicious!!!! 2 egg whites, half a banana and a little bit of cinnamon. Mix together and cook in the frying pan. I had mine with strawberries and light syrup and it came to 140 calories. So DELICIOUS. I think I got that recipe off of here.

ooooh I am trying that this week!! thanks...I wonder if a bit of protien powder would work with it?? hmmm going to try...thanks
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    What kind of flour do you have?
    (about 168 calories per pancake (with the flax seed) medium sized.
    My recipe for pancakes goes as follows:
    Two cups Whole Wheat flour
    5 Teaspoons baking powder (Rumford) It has no aluminum.
    1 teaspoon salt
    Two and a half cups milk(buttermilk is good but you need about 1/2 cup more)
    two eggs
    I also like to use 1/4 cup ground flax seed.

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix the wet ingredients

Add the wet to the dry and stir till just mixed

If it seem too thick and a touch more milk.

Cook on a HOT skillet with a touch of oil till bubbles form around the edges and flip. Cook till golden brown.

I love to eat mine with Nutella. MMmmmmm! Good.

This make enough for a family of four.

This is also good with protein powder added.
  • CassieReannan
    Options
    I have just normal plain flour.
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make the Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancakes and use Promise light margarine with sugar free syrup. From there I work the rest of my day for the calories allocated.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump so i can find later..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats,
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 scoop protein
    enough water for pancake batter consistency

Flavouring could be whatever ie. sf pudding mix etc. For sweet potato I just added 200g of mashed sweet potato

e.g. sweet potato
    12+-+1
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

You might want to start buying Whole wheat. Much better for you.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe a few weeks ago but have not tried it yet. I think I found it here on MFP, but can't remember for sure.

2 oz low fat cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 packet truvia
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

blend all together until smooth and cook as you would a regular pancake.

77 calories for 4 pancakes
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Whole wheat flour has less protein than regular all purpose flour. You can't really substitute one for the other, they behave in completely different ways. Health wise, wheat flours are all basically the same.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats,
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1 scoop protein
    enough water for pancake batter consistency

Flavouring could be whatever ie. sf pudding mix etc. For sweet potato I just added 200g of mashed sweet potato
    WIN.
    If you're restricting cals to lose weight, you can omit the protein powder and water and the recipe still turns out great.

You can also just go for a 45 minute power walk before breakfast and eat normal pancakes in moderation instead :wink:
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    I found this recipe a few weeks ago but have not tried it yet. I think I found it here on MFP, but can't remember for sure.

2 oz low fat cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 packet truvia
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

blend all together until smooth and cook as you would a regular pancake.

77 calories for 4 pancakes

Just made these and added bananas and strawberries. BEST EVER!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    What kind of flour do you have?
    (about 168 calories per pancake (with the flax seed) medium sized.
    My recipe for pancakes goes as follows:
    Two cups Whole Wheat flour
    5 Teaspoons baking powder (Rumford) It has no aluminum.
    1 teaspoon salt
    Two and a half cups milk(buttermilk is good but you need about 1/2 cup more)
    two eggs
    I also like to use 1/4 cup ground flax seed.

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix the wet ingredients

Add the wet to the dry and stir till just mixed

If it seem too thick and a touch more milk.

Cook on a HOT skillet with a touch of oil till bubbles form around the edges and flip. Cook till golden brown.

I love to eat mine with Nutella. MMmmmmm! Good.

This make enough for a family of four.

This is also good with protein powder added.
    How much batter for each pancake for the 168 calories? With that measurement, how many pancakes does the recipe make? Looks like a bunch! :smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Not necessarily. Whole wheat flour has less protein than regular all purpose flour. You can't really substitute one for the other, they behave in completely different ways. Health wise, wheat flours are all basically the same.

True, most chefs recommend replacing 1/4 to 1/3 of the white flour with wheat flour. Otherwise, your pancakes will turn out like giant hockey pucks.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

This is very similar to what I was going to suggest.
    Mix one egg, 1/3 cup of oatmeal, one banana (mashed) together for your pancake mix. Delicious!
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

True, most chefs recommend replacing 1/4 to 1/3 of the white flour with wheat flour. Otherwise, your pancakes will turn out like giant hockey pucks.

My pancakes are VERY light and fluffy made with 100% whole wheat flour. And they are healthier made with the Whole wheat. Just look up all the nutrients you miss out on when you strip out all the bran from the wheat. And If you want more protein add protein powder.

Bran is the hard outer shell of the wheat plant. As the insoluble wheat bran passes through your system, it aids digestion, adds bulk to stools and prevents constipation. To benefit from the nutrition and fiber provided by wheat bran, food products should be made from 100 percent whole-wheat flour because the process that produces white flour removes the bran. According to the George Mateljan Foundation for the World's Healthiest Foods, during processing "over half of the vitamins B1, B2, B3, E, folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, iron and fiber are lost."
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/41495-wheat-bran-nutrition-information/#ixzz1s80WrzZW

http://www.livestrong.com/article/41495-wheat-bran-nutrition-information/