Couples who love together?

Options
Awkward30
Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
Do you split food costs evenly even if one partner eats literally twice as much as the other?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, I just poke fun at him when he eats the last of something so he feels a little guilty. :bigsmile: We go to Sam's Club every two weeks and spend a couple-hundred bucks and split it halfway. It's not incredibly expensive and we don't really keep track of who eats more because it's obvious that my bf does. So he usually will go buy flavored waters or something from the local grocery.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    When you go to a restaurant and you both order the same thing...does he pay more if he eats his entire meal and you don't????
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    we usually buy our own veggies and food. he is pretty happy with his basic tuna pita for lunch nd dinner everyday... oh hell no i couldnt do that. although his groceries are much less expensive than mine.. dammit.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We do our own grocery shopping, for the most part. We do split the cost of meat and pasta (the only things we share, I think), and he eats more than I do, but it's fairly insignificant in the long run.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    When you go to a restaurant and you both order the same thing...does he pay more if he eats his entire meal and you don't????

No, one of us pays and it's kind of a present for the other. Not a systematic increase in living expenses. And I actually do think that splitting evenly is probably the best way to do it. But it does strike me as interesting and so I was curious how people handle it. Splitting groceries evenly will actually prob be cheaper for me because we stay at my house more than his now.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    ummmm....yeah.....of course.

I could eat more if I wanted, if you are in a relationship then that is the most nit picking question I have ever heard, if you are sharing with a flat mate, then you need to do your own shop and keep food separately if you feel that aggrieved.
  • TinkerbelleJ
    TinkerbelleJ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What about when one is a vegetarian and the other one not? Splitting 50/50 or not?
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My guy (when home) eats ridiculous amounts but I always do the food shop. When he's home i spend twice as much but I don't really care. We pay for different things and I don't keep count
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    pretty much split. fairest way to do it. means i have to spend a fortune on his biscuts though!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    do you make him pay more for gas because he weighs more than you? :)
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    I guess it depends on the level of your relationship. I am engaged ( getting married this year) and we have been living together for 2 years. We pool all of our money so its not like one person pays for this and one pays for that. We share it all
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    im married but when we lived together just dating we shared everything, what was mine was his and what was his was mine. he was my boyfriend, not my roommate...
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Nope... We've been together 3 years and have the same bank account (combined them at 6 months in) so he "pays" but it's both of our money. And I make more money than him.. but I dont care.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    If this is an issue for you know I'm sad to say that looks like this relationship is doomed. You can't look at everything under a microscope just go with it or get out you can't change a person. I think this is such a minor issue.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do anyway. My bf eats enough for three people (I'm not kidding and he doesn't gain weight, he just has a super fast metabolism) but I have food allergies so some of my 'specialty' foods are expensive, I figure it evens out in the end. Even if it doesn't he picks up the slack when we eat out or its time to pay rent. If you're in it together and one person isn't a complete mooch just assume that even if the food bill doesn't seem fair it's balanced out in other areas of your life together.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No, I pay for all groceries in our house. He does eat most of them, but he pays for more things than I so it works out.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    ummmm i eat more than he does but only because i make proper meals where as he just eats pasta or beans on toast or i cook him dinner at work! i eat 5 meals a day the other 2 being snacks so i need more food but i generally eat more food than he does he just eats more junk and then complains about his potbelly and why the gym isn't shifting it! but i generally pay for all the food and he buys whatever else he needs, its only fair when he pays the rent and i just pay the bills tbh!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    We pool our household expenses and groceries fall under that, generally we both contribute the same amount, but if one of us is short the other will pick up the slack (and we dont keep track of that for future referene lol) or if say I want something special for a work snack i will just go buy it myself because it's not for us it's just for me.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    we split food costs pretty evenly. we take turns buying groceries and about 70 percent of the food is always mine. :x
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I've had similar thoughts - I'm trying to lose weight, and my partner is a powerlifter who eats about 4000 calories a day :-S We just tend to take it in turns to buy the groceries, every other week. I just shove a bottle or two of nice wine in the shopping cart ( he doesn't really drink) and my body lotion/shampoo/conditioner, etc (he's more the wash and go type) - all evens out!