Feeling physically sick due to sadness?

Options
I just had to break up with my other half today, and am obviously feeling extremely upset. Just wanted to ask, has anyone else experienced feeling physically sick because they're sad? I have only eaten 826 calories today, and have been feeling sick since earlier, and every time I eat, I feel even more sick. This is a normal reaction, right?

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    This is a normal reaction, right?

Totally. You're heartbroken :flowerforyou:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes. I'm sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    It can be! Ive been in your shoes. I was physically sick for about a week because of the way the relationship, how the break up was done, and the circumstances surrounding the break up. Hope things work out for you, hun
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry :( I think it's totally normal and it could go either way. Some people binge when they are sad. I've been happily married for years now, but back in my single days whenever I would go through this, I would lose a ton of weight real fast and when asked what diet I was on I called it the break-up diet.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    unfortunately yes ... but that feeling will pass ... give it time :o)
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    :frown: I'm sorry! I feel for you. This is soooo totally normal and it sucks. This happened when my first true boyfriend broke up with me. I truly thought I was sick - I even went to the doctor! Turns out I was depressed - delayed reaction from stuffing the feelings! Better to suffer through it now because it only makes things worse. I promise it will get better! :brokenheart:
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, it will get better.

When I have an argument with my Husband, I get physically affected, so I know where you are coming from.

Keep strong xXx
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You're heartsick. Understandable. Give yourself some time, rest, try and eat small meals like when you are getting over a flu or something. Big hug to you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I just had to break up with my other half today, and am obviously feeling extremely upset. Just wanted to ask, has anyone else experienced feeling physically sick because they're sad? I have only eaten 826 calories today, and have been feeling sick since earlier, and every time I eat, I feel even more sick. This is a normal reaction, right?

Yes. When my grandmother died last year, I lost almost 10 lbs in two weeks from not having any appetite. I was getting sick at my tummy almost every time I ate.

Do what you can to bring your stress level down. Go outside. Enjoy some sunshine and try to take your mind off it for just a few hours. It will help tremendously.

I'm sorry about your breakup! :flowerforyou:
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, it's really hard to stomach food when you're so sad. Keep trying to eat little bits at a time though, not eating properly won't help your mood or energy levels. I'm very sorry about your breakup :( I was in the same situation 5 months ago and it sounds silly and cliche but it really gets better, even though it might take a long time.
    You just have to try your hardest to not let it overwhelm you. I hope you feel better soon :)
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Samantha is right - you should treat it how you do when you are physically ill. Try soup if you can't cope with proper food and just take it slowly.

It WILL get better. I know people telling you this right now doesn't help (it didn't with me) but it will. When I had a messy break-up I found that exercise really helped - boxing in particular. Just make sure you don't do too much if your calories are still low.

Chin up (as we say this side of the pond) and sending you lots of virtual hugs
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes, trust me it happens! I got that way after a huge loss in my life last May, I barely at for almost a week. It'll get better soon, I promise! *hugs*
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Even though you won't believe me it WILL get better soon x
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all of you, for your replies. It's a relief, as I was expecting a backlash, so thank you all for being so kind :flowerforyou:

This is just so strange, though. I am used to OVEReating when I am sad. I thought that it was either a cliche that people don't/can't/won't eat when they break up with someone/get broken up with. I thought it was just a case of having no appetite. But this is totally weird. I am hungry, though not as hungry as usual, but I just feel sick! Horrible. Just sick to my stomach.

Sigh.

Thanks again everyone. I wish I didn't have to break up with him, but my long term happiness is more important than staying in a broken relationship. Maybe we'll get back together someday, and this'll make us stronger, but for now, I need to move on and heal.

xx
  • sweetnilla
    sweetnilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First off, I am so sorry...as they say, breaking up is hard to do. My husband lost his mom earlier this year and he has lost a great deal of weight due to being so overwhelmingly sad. Even when he tries to eat a lot he still loses or at best maintains. This seems to be totally normal when we are heartbroken. Hang in there and try to keep up with your healthy eating and keep exercising to keep your mood up. *Hugs*
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there and I am told, it's very normal.

In fact, you'd be stoic, if you weren't feeling so bad, which is usually not a good way to be.

It gets better though with time.

~katie
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Thanks again everyone. I wish I didn't have to break up with him, but my long term happiness is more important than staying in a broken relationship. Maybe we'll get back together someday, and this'll make us stronger, but for now, I need to move on and heal.

xx

Life goes this way sometimes. People come in, and then they go. Some stick around, and some don't. Be thankful for the time you had with him, remember the good times, and try to move forward as best you can. It's not easy, but having something to look forward to is very helpful.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

xx

Life goes this way sometimes. People come in, and then they go. Some stick around, and some don't. Be thankful for the time you had with him, remember the good times, and try to move forward as best you can. It's not easy, but having something to look forward to is very helpful.

Yeah :cry: I'm not allowing myself to expect us to get back together. Like I told him, I'm not going to pursue him. The doors are open, but it's for him to walk through them, I'm not going to push him. Even if we don't get back together, he made me happy. I spent the most amazing 7.5 months with him, we were inseperable. He meant a lot to me, and still does. Even though this hurts so bloody much, I am still glad I met him and fell in love with him.
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sorry honey. Try to take a walk and get some fresh air. Take nice deep breaths in and out of your nose. It will help your mind clear and maybe help you feel better ((hugs))
  • amalthea23
    amalthea23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been hospitalized from infections resulting from sadness. It's totally legit.