Bust -- 40
    Waist -- 30
    Hips -- 40

Goals:
    Weight -- 135
    Bust -- 37
    Waist -- 27
    Hips -- 37

At lower weights I tend to be hourglass, but above 155 and I always packed weight on my upperbody. Since beginning heavy lifting I noticed that along with belly fat, my back and ribcage problem areas have begun to shrink. Before with just cardio I would lose a lot of belly fat and my bust, but the fat around my ribcage wouldn't budge much. So hopefully I can reach my goal weight/BF % and have that hourglass!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    90% of the people in these comments arent hourglass

That was my impression as well.

That's what I was thinking too. Most of the measurements sound more like pear shape. Or even Apple shape.

I agree. I always thought that hourglass meant your bust and hips had to be about the same (within 2 inches) and the waist has to be at least 9 inches smaller than those two. Most women are also not hourglass shaped.

Something like only 8% of women are true hourglass shapes. Half (46%) are rectangle shape - bust and hips are the same and waist is less than 9 inches smaller than either. 20% are pear shaped - hips at least 2 inches bigger than bust. 14% inverted triangle - bust is 3 inches bigger than hips.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking too. Most of the measurements sound more like pear shape. Or even Apple shape.

I agree. I always thought that hourglass meant your bust and hips had to be about the same (within 2 inches) and the waist has to be at least 9 inches smaller than those two. Most women are also not hourglass shaped.

Something like only 8% of women are true hourglass shapes. Half (46%) are rectangle shape - bust and hips are the same and waist is less than 9 inches smaller than either. 20% are pear shaped - hips at least 2 inches bigger than bust. 14% inverted triangle - bust is 3 inches bigger than hips.

The standard used to be a 10-inch difference between the bust and the waist and the hips and waist, for example: 36-26-36. I've read more than once (although the data could be dated) that the average American woman is 5' 3" and pear-shaped.

It's helpful to know your true shape in that it can give you cues as to how to dress in a flattering manner as well as indicate if you might have some health-related issues.

Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" is obviously an hourglass. So is the OP.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If 36/24/36 is supposedly the ideal then maybe it gives us something to aim for.

Well, I guess if you are genetically predisposed to look like that. For some it would be impossible.

Another thing to consider is one reason waists used to be so small is because women used to wear very tight corsets and then girdles. Wearing a restrictive garment keeps the waist from expanding. I don't know if you can reduce your waist enormous amounts if you've already attained a certain size.
  • Merrie67
    Merrie67 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love my shape! :) I have always had a smaller waist, even at my heaviest.

5'0 129lbs
    34 (ribcage...are we supposed to measure around the bewbage? I'm a C cup lol)
    \

Are you measuring around the fullest part of your boobs, thats what I am measuring...not the ribcage.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

The standard used to be a 10-inch difference between the bust and the waist and the hips and waist, for example: 36-26-36. I've read more than once (although the data could be dated) that the average American woman is 5' 3" and pear-shaped.

It's helpful to know your true shape in that it can give you cues as to how to dress in a flattering manner as well as indicate if you might have some health-related issues.

Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" is obviously an hourglass. So is the OP.

Good points about the reasons for knowing your true shapes. Nothing worse than seeing an apple or inverted triangle wearing something meant for an hourglass or pear, lol.

Also those that have bigger waists in relation to their busts and hips should be more aware of the excess fat that could lead to heart problems later in life.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

• InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I.m 5'5

B~38

W~34

H~47
    Anyone measuring this also....i need to loose at least 50 lbs:-(

Omg, we're so similar! I am also 5"5, bust is 38, waist started out at 34 but is now 31.5, and hips are 47!

I need to lose 48lbs :drinker: so cool to find someone so similar!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

^^
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    90% of the people in these comments arent hourglass LOL but most of them have awesome hips ! I want to keep my hips. Just for reference if anyone wants to know hourglass means your hips and your bust minus your waist both equal 9 inches or more. Like 40inch hips and a 31inch waist plus 40inch bust. Plus bust and hips are no more than 2 inches apart, so 40inch hips and 42inch bust is okay too. :] Otherwise if only the hips are big it is a pear shape, which is also lovely. <3

I defo agree with you there.

However, by measurements, I'm pear, but sometimes my boobs look kinda big :/ I dunno .. still, I love being a pear though. My small waist is one of my best features and I adore my hips. I don't understand it when women complain about having wide hips - is it actually preferable to have narrow hips like a man?
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    40"
    27"
    42"

5'3"

Am I hour glass enough?
    I'm jealous! lol Those were my old measurements and my new goal size <3
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

Define hourglass. For me it means that a woman has a large bust, proportionally much smaller waist and larger hips - like an hour glass. The classic hourglass shape measurement was 36-24-36, but it's more about the proportion than the numbers. Most of my life I haven't been able to find pants because I had a tiny waist in comparison to my hips and butt. Anything without a drawstring in it doesn't fit me well - the waist gaps hugely. And the girls upstairs aren't treated fairly either, if you have a D cup or larger and a slim torso flattering tops are tricky. With an hourglass shape, a lot of styles, swimsuits, etc require a customized fit. Women with hourglass figures often have to get clothing tailored, buy larger sizes that hang unattractively on them. I know, it's been a real pain to find things. Wrap dresses work well, swim suits that are two piece with custom cup sizes, draw string pants and shorts, jeans cut for curvy women sometimes work, or the lower on the hip variety, with some stretch. Tell me if you have found any retailers who cater to us.
    I did define hourglass hun. It is actually defined in general as someone with hips - waist = 9" or more as well as bust - waist = 9"+ (or more) at the same time. Plus bust-hips = 2" or less OR hips-bust=2"or less. If the waist is 9" smaller than hips but there is a large difference between hips and bust you are considered pear instead. I notice some have larger bust but big difference between bust and hips so they are a different shape too lots of names for them I cant recall entirely, but maybe apple? I just know hourglass is called that because well you look like an hourglass. lol Each shape is pretty <3
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

5'0 129lbs
    \

Are you measuring around the fullest part of your boobs, thats what I am measuring...not the ribcage.

Ohhh, well then it probably would be a 37-38 with my bra on. My boobs stick out as much as my butt when I look from the side.:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

5'0 129lbs
    \

Ohhh, well then it probably would be a 37-38 with my bra on. My boobs stick out as much as my butt when I look from the side.:laugh:

If we're supposed to measure the fullest part, then mine are about 41 inches. But I thought you measures around the shoulder blades.

That would make me 41-29-39.
  • coffeelover1624
    Options
    I'm 5'8

bust 45 in
    waist 38 in
    hips 51 in
    thighs 31 in
    arms 15 in
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm an hour glass figure but haven't taken my measurements in a while. Used to be XL sizes and now S! :)
  • chefdak
    chefdak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me! 5' 3". 40.5- 31-42. UGH!!!! I don't think my waist measurement will ever budge. I'm am five pounds from goal and still not budging.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Because of my chubbiness.. I'm currently a peanut. (My waist only goes in slightly, but my bust and hips measurement probably wont change when I lose the belly.)

Bust: 41
    Waist: 38
    Hips: 44

5'1

A Peanut :)
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and have an hourglass shape (or very close to it).

bust 34
    waist 25.5
    hips 35.5

When I am heavier I am a pear shape because my bust measurement doesn't really change but my hips and waist add and lose inches at about the same rate. So for example 34-27-37 would make me a pear.
  • Sinanthiel
    Sinanthiel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8
    Bust: 42
    Waist: 37
    Hips: 53