300-500 Calories IS NOT a Binge

Options
Listen, the people who moan and complain about bingeing didn't really binge. You look at their diary: Quick added 500 calories....
:grumble: *Face palm* Really? How is that a binge? That's a meal. A binge is like 1.5k and up. For those who don't know k, that's 1,500 calories and up. Even an added 700 calories is not a binge. It's still a meal until you get up to about 1kcal (1,000). Hike up your britches, and get over it, it's 500 (or below) calories, get off your *kitten* and exercise. That was harsh, but seriously, that's not a binge.

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I agree...Mine are like 2000-3000...lol...I'm so tired of people eating an extra cup of cereal and freaking out!
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Totally agree! A binge is a whole pizza, a sleeve of oreos, a bag of chips, chicken wings and then a 2 liter bottle of soda to wash it down!!!

300-500 calories is what I consider a meal!!!
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Very true!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    And for most, that's still at or under the built-in MFP deficit, so at worst they ate at maintenance for a day. Don't be so hard on yourself for going over a bit one day. Stressing over it will do more harm (cortisol, etc) than the calories.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    While I agree that there are binges and there are BINGES the person may feel the same at 500 over as you do when you are 2000 over. My old eating disorder attitudes do a number on me when I am more than 200 over. Sometimes I knwoingly go over on a special day and I can handle that...and oddly those are real over days but when I am 200-500 over and I feel like I binged it is because I ate something mindlessly and I feel awful emotionally for it. Sure it could have been worse but the emotional effect on the person can be very much the same.

I am more bothered by beating oneself up for a treat that still fits within calorie goals so I get where you are coming from.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Listen, the people who moan and complain about bingeing didn't really binge. You look at their diary: Quick added 500 calories....
    :grumble: *Face palm* Really? How is that a binge? That's a meal. A binge is like 1.5k and up. For those who don't know k, that's 1,500 calories and up. Even an added 700 calories is not a binge. It's still a meal until you get up to about 1kcal (1,000). Hike up your britches, and get over it, it's 500 (or below) calories, get off your *kitten* and exercise. That was harsh, but seriously, that's not a binge.

Glad the local psychologist could make a visit to MFP and classify true eating disorders. As someone with an ED past, I'm surprised you're that insensitive or unaware of the nature of binges.

A binge has no classified calorie intake. A binge occurs any time a person eats what they CONSIDER to be a large amount of food due to the inability to control themselves, then feel extreme guilt, which most likely causes a purge, or simply another binge later on. A binge can be 2 Oreos if the person feels out of control while they're eating them, then guilty when they're done. Some people have EDNOS--classic signs of an eating disorder mixed with other habits that aren't classifiable by traditional standards. I was bulimic but only vomited about half the time; the other half I'd go to the gym for 3 hours until I was dizzy and felt I'd worked off all the calories.

Binges are about control and guilt, not caloric intake.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% with songbyrdsweet.

I am really saddened by this post from someone (the original poster) who says on her profile that she only accepts ED recovery friends.

If you have had any therapy at all regarding your ED, you probably know that power, control, manipulation, and a general feeling of being out of control are what lead to EDs.

I hope your ED "friends" receive more understanding.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

Glad the local psychologist could make a visit to MFP and classify true eating disorders. As someone with an ED past, I'm surprised you're that insensitive or unaware of the nature of binges.

A binge has no classified calorie intake. A binge occurs any time a person eats what they CONSIDER to be a large amount of food due to the inability to control themselves, then feel extreme guilt, which most likely causes a purge, or simply another binge later on. A binge can be 2 Oreos if the person feels out of control while they're eating them, then guilty when they're done. Some people have EDNOS--classic signs of an eating disorder mixed with other habits that aren't classifiable by traditional standards. I was bulimic but only vomited about half the time; the other half I'd go to the gym for 3 hours until I was dizzy and felt I'd worked off all the calories.

Thank you.
    I had that issue while I was pregnant..I just delivered my son March 15, 2012. I struggled while pregnant sometimes and one day I cried hysterically because I was so hungry and I didn't want to eat a bowl of cereal! Seriously?! I had never felt that way before..not to that extreme. I even felt guilty after people convinced me it was okay and I ate it. I still feel addicted to food and I just ate two whopper candies and feel bad about it for some reason, even though it adds barely any calories to my diet today. I never have been diagnosed with an ED, but I may when I go back to my psychiatrist eventually and tell them how I have been feeling about food lately.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I agree that a normal meal can be anything up to 700 calories, or more actually since some people only eat twice a day with no snacks and so pack in 1k + for each meal. My boyfriend regularly has 1000 or more for his evening meal actually, and he is skinny. It is the sense of eating without control, and the feelings of shame, guilt and panic that go with it, though admittedly I sometimes wonder when we came to experience such negative feelings in association with such a positive thing...food is meant to be nourishing and enjoyable, not a torture. My bf doesn't understand it at all because he has gone and had days of eating a lot more than he needed, but he got on with it, didn't feel guilt, shame, a need to purge etc. Society and media have a lot to answer for, I think. So many of us now have such an unhealthy relationship with food that we no longer know how to eat and react to food naturally.

But yes, my binges are horrendous. I don't do things by halves. I can down 5k of chocolate, sometimes more, in one sitting and then the feelings of guilt and panic, and the need to purge. I wouldn't consider 500 a binge personally, because I do so much worse. In fact, 500 would be a relief to me as opposed to 5k, that is for sure.

But it is different for everyone and to those who have never binged really badly, 500 might seem like the end of the world. Everyone is different and will react differently to their experiences. Someone on 1200 a day, and having 300cal meals, may well see 500 as a huge amount to go over by.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You cannot quantify a binge as over X number of calories. Although I agree that 500 calories is in no way a "binge" by most standards.

The psychological component of feeling out of control, eating outside of true hunger, feeling guilty, overwhelmed, and truly bad about having eaten it is all a part of it BUT if that occurs after a rather trivial amount of calories I cannot consider that a binge.

Here is a bit about binge eating from the mayoclinic:

Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

You may have no obvious physical signs or symptoms when you have binge-eating disorder. You may be overweight or obese, or you may be at a normal weight. However, you likely have numerous behavioral and emotional signs and symptoms, such as:

Eating unusually large amounts of food
    Eating even when you're full or not hungry
    Eating rapidly during binge episodes
    Eating until you're uncomfortably full
    Frequently eating alone
    Feeling that your eating behavior is out of control
    Feeling depressed, disgusted, ashamed, guilty or upset about your eating
    Experiencing depression and anxiety
    Feeling isolated and having difficulty talking about your feelings
    Frequently dieting, possibly without weight loss
    Losing and gaining weight repeatedly, also called yo-yo dieting

After a binge, you may try to diet or eat normal meals. But restricting your eating may simply lead to more binge eating, creating a vicious cycle.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

So glad you came along and cleared this up.

I'm also shocked how insensitive that was as well. What one considers a binge might not seem like much to someone else, but with people suffering from EDs it can be mentally frigtening either way. Just as it was put above, it's about the out of control feeling. Especally when this is happening every day...
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Actually, if it's about control, it's an eating disorder. While a binge has not got a specific caloric amount, if you consider 300 calories a "binge," that is cause for concern. It's NOT a binge, and you need to work on whatever makes you think it is.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I consider it a binge when I don't feel like I am in control. Most of the time, I feel like even when I'm a little hungry at the end of the day or decided that I was willing to go over my allotment by a chocolate bar or whatever, I feel in control of myself and my food. My "binges" are never more than a thousand calories because I can't comfortably eat more than that... but all the same, I consider them binges because it is not me making a conscious decision to be over or being in a ****ty food situation where I had bad options, it is me just unable to control myself.

Damn, I got beat to this, but I think it's worth repeating, even though they said it better :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Actually, if it's about control, it's an eating disorder. While a binge has not got a specific caloric amount, if you consider 300 calories a "binge," that is cause for concern. It's NOT a binge, and you need to work on whatever makes you think it is.

It's the mindset that MAKES it a binge. Calories make no difference. Yes, it is an eating disorder, and yes, it requires counseling. But it's not like I went into therapy and they asked me how many calories I was eating during an episode before they could 'classify' me as having an ED. The fact that I felt out of control when I ate--pretty much all the time--was a symptom of my incorrect mindset.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. If you are going to binge, BINGE!!!! Eat some pizza, have some McDonalds, drink a coke...etc...
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    You cannot quantify a binge as over X number of calories. Although I agree that 500 calories is in no way a "binge" by most standards.

The psychological component of feeling out of control, eating outside of true hunger, feeling guilty, overwhelmed, and truly bad about having eaten it is all a part of it BUT if that occurs after a rather trivial amount of calories I cannot consider that a binge.

Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

You may have no obvious physical signs or symptoms when you have binge-eating disorder. You may be overweight or obese, or you may be at a normal weight. However, you likely have numerous behavioral and emotional signs and symptoms, such as:

Frequently eating alone

After a binge, you may try to diet or eat normal meals. But restricting your eating may simply lead to more binge eating, creating a vicious cycle.

Again, note: 300~500 calories isn't "an unusual amount of food," nor is it likely to make you "uncomfortably full." Eating fast certainly plays in, as would eating alone, provided you were alone in order to, or with the intent of, keeping the eating a secret. People who post panicked posts about 500 calorie "binges" need to get help to understand that 500 calories isn't a "binge."
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Symptoms
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Frequently eating alone

Again, note: 300~500 calories isn't "an unusual amount of food," nor is it likely to make you "uncomfortably full." Eating fast certainly plays in, as would eating alone, provided you were alone in order to, or with the intent of, keeping the eating a secret. People who post panicked posts about 500 calorie "binges" need to get help to understand that 500 calories isn't a "binge."

Okay, so what is it? I'd love to hear that I never had an eating disorder just because my binges weren't high enough in calories. :huh:
  • kelsully
    Options
    By the list from Mayo..feeling depressed or out of control qualifies...if I feel like I indulged when I shouldn't have the ED part of me beats the mental crap out of myself..the recovered part of me has to engage the appropriate self talk etc to excuse the mindless eating..it is a work in progress...
  • kelsully
    Options
    By the list from Mayo..feeling depressed or out of control qualifies...if I feel like I indulged when I shouldn't have the ED part of me beats the mental crap out of myself..the recovered part of me has to engage the appropriate self talk etc to excuse the mindless eating..it is a work in progress...
  • Twiinkless
    Twiinkless Posts: 27 Member
    Options

THIS!