300-500 Calories IS NOT a Binge

Options

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that people toss around the word "binge" too casually. Binge eating disorder is a real psychological condition. It's not the same as a person who eats a few extra snacks and then has regrets.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

a: a drunken revel : spree
    b: an unrestrained and often excessive indulgence <a buying binge>
    c: an act of excessive or compulsive consumption (as of food)

: a social gathering : party

that being said, the word excessive IS based on an individuals opinion, therefore making "300-500 calories IS NOT a binge" simply an opinion. not a fact.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Listen, the people who moan and complain about bingeing didn't really binge. You look at their diary: Quick added 500 calories....
    :grumble: *Face palm* Really? How is that a binge? That's a meal. A binge is like 1.5k and up. For those who don't know k, that's 1,500 calories and up. Even an added 700 calories is not a binge. It's still a meal until you get up to about 1kcal (1,000). Hike up your britches, and get over it, it's 500 (or below) calories, get off your *kitten* and exercise. That was harsh, but seriously, that's not a binge.
    I disagree. You can binge on broccoli if you eat enough of it. Everyone has their own idea of a binge. I eat 1100-1200 calories per day as my Dr. suggested, unless I have a ton of exercise calories left over then I'll eat more. If I ate a candy bar and went over, I'd consider that a binge but it's my business.
    Btw, this is coming from a person recovered from an eating disorder, hike up your own britches, put on a belt and eat some food. You're too worried about other people's diets. Worry about your own. If you don't like people's comments about what stresses them and you don't want to support them, delete them as friends. They don't need you anyway.
    Good luck to you.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Listen, the people who moan and complain about bingeing didn't really binge. You look at their diary: Quick added 500 calories....
    :grumble: *Face palm* Really? How is that a binge? That's a meal. A binge is like 1.5k and up. For those who don't know k, that's 1,500 calories and up. Even an added 700 calories is not a binge. It's still a meal until you get up to about 1kcal (1,000). Hike up your britches, and get over it, it's 500 (or below) calories, get off your *kitten* and exercise. That was harsh, but seriously, that's not a binge.

Glad the local psychologist could make a visit to MFP and classify true eating disorders. As someone with an ED past, I'm surprised you're that insensitive or unaware of the nature of binges.

A binge has no classified calorie intake. A binge occurs any time a person eats what they CONSIDER to be a large amount of food due to the inability to control themselves, then feel extreme guilt, which most likely causes a purge, or simply another binge later on. A binge can be 2 Oreos if the person feels out of control while they're eating them, then guilty when they're done. Some people have EDNOS--classic signs of an eating disorder mixed with other habits that aren't classifiable by traditional standards. I was bulimic but only vomited about half the time; the other half I'd go to the gym for 3 hours until I was dizzy and felt I'd worked off all the calories.

Binges are about control and guilt, not caloric intake.

Glad that the expert on binges came in. If you think 2 Oreos is a binge, get some help. I know you might have an E.D, but really?
  • KatKatatrophic
    Options
    I disagree. You can binge on broccoli if you eat enough of it. Everyone has their own idea of a binge. I eat 1100-1200 calories per day as my Dr. suggested, unless I have a ton of exercise calories left over then I'll eat more. If I ate a candy bar and went over, I'd consider that a binge but it's my business.
    Btw, this is coming from a person recovered from an eating disorder, hike up your own britches, put on a belt and eat some food. You're too worried about other people's diets. Worry about your own. If you don't like people's comments about what stresses them and you don't want to support them, delete them as friends. They don't need you anyway.
    Good luck to you.

Excuse me, but I eat food. It's people like you who didn't eat food.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Glad the local psychologist could make a visit to MFP and classify true eating disorders. As someone with an ED past, I'm surprised you're that insensitive or unaware of the nature of binges.

A binge has no classified calorie intake. A binge occurs any time a person eats what they CONSIDER to be a large amount of food due to the inability to control themselves, then feel extreme guilt, which most likely causes a purge, or simply another binge later on. A binge can be 2 Oreos if the person feels out of control while they're eating them, then guilty when they're done. Some people have EDNOS--classic signs of an eating disorder mixed with other habits that aren't classifiable by traditional standards. I was bulimic but only vomited about half the time; the other half I'd go to the gym for 3 hours until I was dizzy and felt I'd worked off all the calories.

Glad that the expert on binges came in. If you think 2 Oreos is a binge, get some help. I know you might have an E.D, but really?
    You fully missed the point. A binge is a matter of perception. It's not the number that makes the binge it's the emotion tied to it. What most of the people in this thread are talking about is the emotional aspect of it, not the literal dictionary definition.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

that being said, the word excessive IS based on an individuals opinion, therefore making "300-500 calories IS NOT a binge" simply an opinion. not a fact.

I was just gonna look up the definition too, way to beat me to it :(
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I don't anymore. I've been in recovery for a couple years now. Now, I can eat 2 Oreos and feel fine.
    Sorry you have better 'control' over your ED than I did. :laugh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    and we're off......
  • eatherhey
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

This argument bothers me. xD Yes, looking up the definition is very clever but this is a disambiguation of the word. The way it's being used here is almost colloquial. Uhm... it's like saying Goth is a Germanic tribe, therefore is not a fashion subculture.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I so agree. A binge is something I can't possibly go out and walk off. 500-700 calories I could exercise off before going to bed.
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

This argument bothers me. xD Yes, looking up the definition is very clever but this is a disambiguation of the word. The way it's being used here is almost colloquial. Uhm... it's like saying Goth is a Germanic tribe, therefore is not a fashion subculture.

its not used colloquial at all. its simply put. the OP didnt say anything about E.D.'s, but simply stated what was (in her opinion) considered a binge. according to the definition, her opinion only applies TO HER. not to the rest of the world. so to argue with those with an opposite opinion is moot.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    In some ways I suppose it depends... I don't really think even 500 calories is ever a binge per se.. However, it may be something to feel convicted over if it comes in the form of two candy bars in 10 minutes... In that case, it is clearly excessive... However, as most have said, if it is a hamburger and a half order of fries.. it is a snack.
  • KatKatatrophic
    Options

I don't anymore. I've been in recovery for a couple years now. Now, I can eat 2 Oreos and feel fine.
    Sorry you have better 'control' over your ED than I did. :laugh:

I don't even freaking have an E.D.
  • KatKatatrophic
    Options
    Definition of BINGE

its not used colloquial at all. its simply put. the OP didnt say anything about E.D.'s, but simply stated what was (in her opinion) considered a binge. according to the definition, her opinion only applies TO HER. not to the rest of the world. so to argue with those with an opposite opinion is moot.

Thank you!!!!
  • eatherhey
    Options
    its not used colloquial at all. its simply put. the OP didnt say anything about E.D.'s, but simply stated what was (in her opinion) considered a binge. according to the definition, her opinion only applies TO HER. not to the rest of the world. so to agrue with those with an opposite opinion is moot.
    Yes of course her opinion applies only to her... except that she is applying it to other people. Okay, hang on, backtracking a little before I say something totally unintentionally stupid: The real argument in this thread is how the word is being used, right? According to you she is using it entirely literally.

Edit: I concede.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy reading these kinds of topics becasue it means putting off studying for finals a teensy bit longer. thanks girls :happy:
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    Im saying that according to her, "300-500 calories IS NOT a binge". This is simply an opinion, not a fact. To me its inappropriate to verbally attack those who have the opposite opinion when in reality, an "excessive" amount of food is up to an individual only. just to be clear, I disagree with the OP's statement, as the definition does not clarify a specific calorie allotment.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if I want to touch this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

What's a binge, really? Well, there's the generic definition of a binge or binge eating. Then we have binge eating disorder, and binge/purge-type eating disorders such as bulimia nervosa. There are "binges" common to those suffering from a restrictive eating disorder, which are more about guilt and control rather than the physical amount of food consumed.

Still, though, consuming a large volume of food or a large amount of calories does not necessarily a binge make, nor does feeling guilty after consuming food. Normal eating behaviors do include those large holiday meals and occasional unnecessary cookies. Also, there's a huge difference between a generic "binge" – which is simply eating/drinking to excess – and the bingeing more common to those with eating disorders, which involves a total loss of control.

Regarding the second type of bingeing, which I am more familiar with: in the midst of a binge, one feels as if they have no control over what or how much they are eating, and they feel completely unable to stop themselves. Often, then, one would eat to the point of physical pain, which is why binges can include many thousands of calories. Especially if one suffers from a restrictive-type eating disorder, though, even a comparatively small amount of food might cause intense guilt and even physical discomfort. The very fact that this small amount of food is equivalent to a "binge" is a sign of their eating disorder.

Personally, I've been on both ends of the spectrum. "Binges" have caused my daily calorie totals to reach anywhere from 800 to 4000 calories. I do agree that for most people, the amount of food represented by 300-500 calories is nowhere near the amount that they'd consume while bingeing. But for those with an eating disorder, it might be.