My first Marathon

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Today I completed the Brighton Marathon in 3:42:56. It was my first ever marathon and the first time I have run over 21 miles.

My plan was to run a steady 8:30 and come in at 3:45, but to allow myself some leeway depending on how I was feeling.

It started off really well - at the 13.1 (half way) mark I was at 1:48 minutes and felt as if I could keep going at my current pace of 8:17 minute miles.

Around the 16 mile mark I started to get tired, but knowing that I had less than 10 miles to go I wasn't too worried: the half marathons I had run before always had a tough bit somewhere in the middle but the last 3 or 4 miles I would shake it off and cruise home: I let my speed slow a little to recover and by mile 20 I was down to 8:45's and it was tough - my thighs started to stiffen up and whilst I could keep going it felt as if my joints needed greasing - everything was hard work to move.

With three miles left I tried to pick it back up again but only managed a mile at 8:30 before dropping back to an 8:45 and was working using raw will power keep me moving.

I am very happy with my time - and elated to have made it across the line. A few lessons learnt on the way for next time (whenever that may be) but overall a good day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168541903

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing achievement. Very well done!
  • tradaboie
    tradaboie Posts: 132
    Options
    Great job!!
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great job!
    :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    awesome job!
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Amazing job! Great pace too! I had my first long run yesterday (15.07 miles) and am signing up for my first Half in May. I think I might attempt a marathon at some point but def not right now. ;)
  • yag1630
    yag1630 Posts: 92
    Options
    Good job. I"m also planning to join a marathon but definitely I would need more practice.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Mike, That is a great result !!!
    You may not realize it but if you run more marathons and get to talking with other runners you will see how awesome a 3:42 first marathon is.
    Congratulations and if you are thinking of qualifying for Boston it is very doable with your ability and dedication.
    Have a good recovery :)
    Saka
  • jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Way to go with the Marathon!!!!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That's outstanding and an excellant time, nice pace. Are you already thinking of the next one?
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great time !! I just did my second half marathon and still cannot see doing it all again for another 13 miles.....it is a big deal....congrats to you !!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    Congratulations! That is a wonderful accomplishment!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,013 Member
    Options
    Great story, congrats!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great time !! I just did my second half marathon and still cannot see doing it all again for another 13 miles.....it is a big deal....congrats to you !!
  • bjjsurfer
    bjjsurfer Posts: 15
    Options
    nice job, very impressive
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And i think your time is very good! You rock!
  • Purplepeater
    Purplepeater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Amazing results within such a. Small a bout of time!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Great time Mike. Well done.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! And a fantastic time. Very inspirational, for a noob like me anyway!! Fab!
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations MARATHONER!! You are now 26.2 MILES STRONGER!! Welcome to the club!! ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!