My first Marathon

Options

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    awesome! congratulations!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    wow that's an amazing time!! hoping to do my first one either this year or next.. congrats!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hey, been waiting to see your write up. That's a totally fabulous result, and I bet if you work on a negative split next time you'll just get faster!
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Excellent! What an accomplishment!!!
  • billythefishuk
    Options
    That's a seriously good time for a first marathon. Got any plans for more?
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    that is one amazing time!!!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Incredible, I can only dream of being able to do such a thing.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Under 4 hours for your very first marathon is fantastic!! Way to go- you should be really proud of yourself!! Very well done!! :happy:
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Well done - brilliant time too :drinker:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Today I completed the Brighton Marathon in 3:42:56. It was my first ever marathon and the first time I have run over 21 miles.

My plan was to run a steady 8:30 and come in at 3:45, but to allow myself some leeway depending on how I was feeling.

It started off really well - at the 13.1 (half way) mark I was at 1:48 minutes and felt as if I could keep going at my current pace of 8:17 minute miles.

Around the 16 mile mark I started to get tired, but knowing that I had less than 10 miles to go I wasn't too worried: the half marathons I had run before always had a tough bit somewhere in the middle but the last 3 or 4 miles I would shake it off and cruise home: I let my speed slow a little to recover and by mile 20 I was down to 8:45's and it was tough - my thighs started to stiffen up and whilst I could keep going it felt as if my joints needed greasing - everything was hard work to move.

With three miles left I tried to pick it back up again but only managed a mile at 8:30 before dropping back to an 8:45 and was working using raw will power keep me moving.

I am very happy with my time - and elated to have made it across the line. A few lessons learnt on the way for next time (whenever that may be) but overall a good day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168541903

What a fantastic run!! WTG!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fantastic run, great time to for your first time! well done!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the race report & congrats on a great race. Yesterday was my LSD (training for a half in May) and I was feeling so good the thought of training for a full marathon (maybe next year) actually crossed my mind....
  • bangersnmash90
    Options
    Woohoo! Well done that is brilliant!
  • Meerpup
    Meerpup Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, that's fantastic - well done!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for such lively feedback.

Negative splits: that was the plan... Fail... Lesson learnt. Still pleased overall.

Next marathon: my local is in just under 2 weeks. I actually have a place but based on how hard i found this one i dont think i can recover enough to do it. Will make a final decission next weekend buti dont want to pick up any injuries.

Next goals are: to do a triathlon, a sub 20 min 5k and the lake garda 15k (october)
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

What an amazing time. Thanks for the motivation
  • sallytx
    sallytx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great job! And fantastic time as well! Congrats|
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Great job! And awesome time!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Your time is AMAZING!!! You should be very PROUD!! I have been running/walking intervals for about 7 months, I have my first half marathon in May. I am excited but scared all at the same time!

Congrats!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!