Brides to be using feeding tubes

Options

Replies

• Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I remember the pain my mother was in when they put a feeding tube through her nose (AND when they took it out). She would later REFUSE feeding tubes... I hope to God I never need one. I can't imagine volunteering for that to lose weight. It seems to me that counting calories and a walk with the fiance would be MUCH easier.
  • snooplarsylars
    snooplarsylars Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If there's a saving grace for how disturbing this article is, it's forums like this and all of the comments below the article. Good to know that, despite people like the women on this diet and the doctors promoting it, there seems to be a bigger community of people who love their body and life enough to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their own weight loss, lifestyle, exercise, caloric intake and health.

There was an "Intervention" episode about a woman addicted to her feeding tube for 7 or 8 years or something and it was horrifying. Blows my mind how these doctors can shamelessly sell eating disorders and addiction. But then again, there's no profit in telling someone they're better off going for a walk and eating some veggies.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    Vanity is getting those women, and the doctor is taking advantage and making a financial killing on it. The woman is like so many women. But that doctor should know better!

Which is worse? Vanity or greed?
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    Truly hope the medical review board of Florida checks this guy out...
    hey Doc, how about "1st do no harm"...no ethics, just cash flow!

That's exactly what I was going to post. We already know that some people do crazy stuff to lose weight (HCG, anyone?). But the fact that a DOCTOR is condoning this practice and being paid for it... As a health professional in training, I'm appalled at the actions of this "doctor" and he should have his license revoked.
  • daddiod
    daddiod Posts: 37
    Options
    WTH is wrong with people. I saw that too. I thinks its really pushing it. I had to do that to my 2 preme girls as they would burn to many calories sucking.
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I prefer my protein shakes taken nasally
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I were engaged to someone and they VOLUNTEERED to use a feeding tube, it would be a deal breaker.

That's what I was thinking. I think my husband would feel the same.

My husband absolutely would as well. I was overweight at my wedding... and you know what? I lived and we managed to have an amazing, beautiful day. Now we're married and both of us are working on being more healthy TOGETHER, doing it the right and lasting way...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I really couldn't care less, yes it's bad for their health, yes it's dumb, but I honestly believe that people who are that incredibly, stupidly, crazily vain, absolutely deserve what they get.

My ethos is one of personal responsibility.

Make your decisions, good or bad, live with the consequences.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married next weekend (28th), and I'm certainly not looking for a nasal diet. That's disgusting.

I'd rather be proud (and I AM) to have WORKED my BUTT off to fit into my gorgeous wedding dress. What's there to be proud of in shoving a tube up your nose for temporary weight loss?

Me? I took the long road, but I'm going to be able to keep the weight off and be a sexy bride even AFTER the wedding. ;)
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I, too, found it horribly disgusting when I read it this morning. Seriously, what is wrong with people?!? Either get a bigger dress, or find a way to lose weight the healthy way.
  • downhomechik
    Options
    This is an article about brides using feeding tubes to diet.
    Disgusting and vulgar.

Discuss please.

http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

OMG...you think you've seen everything!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This is so disgusting. I can't believe people would actually do this! They are going to gain that weight back so quickly. The picture of that lady explains it all. She looks horrible!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Too bad they can't get "common sense" thru a feeding tube! :laugh:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Honey can you hold me feeding bag....
    Makes me wonder how many from here that use all the different money scheme diets (HCG) are thinking...great idea!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i just saw that!!! ugh... such fad diets and only 800 calories a day!? i don't care if you're not going to be hungry for 10 days! just seems a little extreme, how about if you want to lose 10-20lbs before you're wedding you start a year or 6 months before, doing it HEALTHY. ughhhh!
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was disgusted with this news report, as well. I watched it on good mornign america and it blew my mind that these brides/people were actually doing this, and the cost was $1500 :noway: please?! And they even said on the news report that doctors advise against it, (which would be a no brainer in my mind) because not only is it a short term solution, but you'll gain even more weight back, when you start eating like a normal human, LOL! :laugh: Fast solutions=Short Term Results!!! I would rather work for mine, doing it the right way and keeping it off! Salud to whose with me!!! :drinker:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If only the calories could be ingested anally, I'd totally be on board with this.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Eww. I definitely wouldn't want to marry someone who would go through this kind of drastic measure to get thin by the wedding....in fact, it shows a lot about the character of the person!! (i.e. doesn't want to put in hard work to get something they want)

This makes me wonder - how will they handle it when there are rough spots in the marriage? LOL Marriage itself is darn hard work!

Exactly.

I was thinking the same thing.

Also:

1. I don't for a second believe they aren't losing muscle, too.
    2. Hmmm...bachelorette party, showers, other pre-wedding events. Those pics are gonna be lovely with that tube in the nose.
    3. My newborn daughters had feeding tubes because they were preemies and so small (twins). Even that little, they hated them The tubes were taped to their faces and they still pulled them out every chance they had. So, what these people are saying is that they would rather have this discomfort than the discomfort of 30 minutes of cardio a day?
    4. Can't imagine a lot of pre-wedding smooches with bad breath and tubing.

5. Ick! People, serious! What is this world turning into?
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So... food - eating - yum ... it's not all about hunger for me - so this really would not work for me. I am so very glad that I get to take the time to learn how my body "wants" and "needs" things. To find out what works best for me. To exercise daily or every other day, in order to firm up the remaining skin.

20 pounds in 10 days... and 10 days with a stupid feeding tube up your nose and into your stomach! ICK! I just don't know how anyone could do it... I would need to be put into a medically-induced coma... maybe that's the best way!? (not!)

Unbelievable... but this stems from our inability to love ourselves as we are... and we want to look the best we possibly can in that gorgeous dress... nevermind that that's not who we really are... it's just a fantasy and you want the photos to be as stunning as possible.

Also, it doesn't help that wedding gown sizing is SO OFF from regular clothes. When I got married I was wearing a size 14-16 (20 years ago) and I had to get a size 22 gown. Unbelievable.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If only the calories could be ingested anally, I'd totally be on board with this.

:laugh: thank you.